Cameron Wood is a Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Wood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>richards+bryan
More than likely, yes by a long way.

If Wood nominated for the national draft, hypothetical situation obviously, and he was available at 14, we wouldn't pass him up for any kid still there, in fact, a club would probably use a higher pick to get him. So put this one down, at the moment at least, as a winner.

Pelchen baulks at pick 12 being too high for Thornton an established senior player with plenty of footy left...yet pick 14 for an unestablished young ruckman is shrewd?

So in other words Pelchen is an idiot you are saying?

Wood is potentially something...like forwards ruckman can go either way. Wood is not a bankable commodity at all at the moment...Thornton certainly is but pick 12 was too high. I would have offered a second round pick and nothing more...well done Lions...shrewd trading with Leuenberger on your list. More than likely Pies dudded again.

WTF are you talking about? If Collingwood had used #14 on a young ruckman in the national draft, no one would have batted an eyelid. We use #14 on a young player who's had three years' development, already played senior football, already scored a rising star nomination, and yet it's a dumb move? Clearly, the Collingwood recruiting/football depts have put Cam Wood under the microscope and decided he's worth our first-rounder. Given how well we've drafted over the last three years, and given how poor our current ruck division is, I'm ecstatic with the trade.

Is this a fair scenario to suggest:

We have a list that is still developing. Our best years are still a few off. When blokes like Heater, Pendles, Reid are 24 and over. However, we made a preliminary final this year. So, its the footy dept.'s right to make a move, or a few moves, in the post-season (without harming our better years around 2010 and after), to perhaps give us the missing pieces to our 2007 puzzle, to give us a chance at an early flag in 2008. King would do that, but harm our 2010, 11, 12, etc chances. Wood doesnt harm it, plus, as some footy fans have said, Wood and Fraser instead of Richards and Bryan, and may have won our 15th. Bloody cosy fit for mine.

WTF are you talking about? If Collingwood had used #14 on a young ruckman in the national draft, no one would have batted an eyelid. We use #14 on a young player who's had three years' development, already played senior football, already scored a rising star nomination, and yet it's a dumb move? Clearly, the Collingwood recruiting/football depts have put Cam Wood under the microscope and decided he's worth our first-rounder. Given how well we've drafted over the last three years, and given how poor our current ruck division is, I'm ecstatic with the trade.

The bottom line is the pie army here doesnt get the discussion and suggestions Wood will be better than Blake are pure and simple suggestions...Blake got some decent runs on the board this year. Wood is just potential at the moment.

Fraser is handy up forward I agree...but he isnt a guy who will kick you clutch goals or take strong contested marks like a Brad Ottens or Lade or ever dominate around the ground with second and third efforts...and neither will Wood. Thats what you really need is a class ruckman come forward who can do all of those things. What Collingwood should have done is trade for a higher pick as there are some excellent ruck options in the draft this year.

You needed to bite the bullet and trade for a higher pick but you took what is a second best option. I am not saying Wood cant play..he is a good talent. If you are saying he will answer your problems...you dont understand the discussion or requirements of Big men in the game today.

Hudson is a better ruckman than Wood...and will be for at least 5 years. Saying otherwise is fantasy land...Hudson has the runs on the board again...Wood has done zero compared to him. The comparison at the moment is laughable.

The Crows were devastated to lose Hudson even Ricciuto commented on it. Brisbane were quite happy to palm Wood off...go figure?

I am glad we got a ruckman in a trade. ABOUT FREAKEN TIME. Pick 14 isn’t cheap but it isn’t selling the farm either. Not sure he is the answer but at least we can ask the question. He won’t be worse than Richards or Bryan. I am very happy we didn’t have to sacrifice Shaw. Satisfactory result for the Pies. Now we should see if we can get King cheap and actually win the ruck a bit next year.
yeah but a back up ruckman for Pick 14 ??
As far as I’m concerned the plan is to make Fraser the backup. It might take a year or so but it was a long way off the horizon previously.
Wood is a poor mans Fanning
Impossible but Fanning did have a better fitting name for the current list. I think we are working on a Benny Hill sponsorship.

Great work by the Pies to address an area of obvious need, I've liked what I've seen of Wood very much. All season long the Pies fans on BF have rated Wood as the best of the likely available rucks, but to be honest I didn't think we could land him. Rapt that we have. :thumbsu:

As for the nay-sayers, Derek Hine > you. :)

or ever dominate around the ground with second and third efforts...

Fraser is excellent around the ground, in fact would be in the top 3-4 rucks in terms of work around the ground.
Watch his play last year, was sensational. Injuries crippled him this year, hopefully next year he will be back to full fitness.

Hudson is a better ruckman than Wood...and will be for at least 5 years. Saying otherwise is fantasy land...Hudson has the runs on the board again...Wood has done zero compared to him. The comparison at the moment is laughable.

Hudson is 29 and just coming off a knee reco, so i am glad we didn't trade for him. No doubt he has runs on the board, but this year he played most of the games and was handy, but not great.

The Crows were devastated to lose Hudson even the Roo commented on it. Brisbane were quite happy to palm Wood off...go figure?

Not surprising, Crows are upset that they plucked an unknown from no where and took a chance on him and then he just walked away. Also the Crows have hardly any decent ruck stocks, of course they would be upset.
Lions have great ruck stocks, so they traded their surplus, it's what teams do.

is wood any good though?

yes...woods isn't playing as much as he should because of Brisbane's strong rucks, he would be the top 2 ruck in any club except probably port and sydney

plus, he won't get pushed over like richards, he won't be usless in ruck contests, he doesn't turn the ball over with every touch

he also got a rising star nom in round 2, not the later rounds when they ran out of people to give a nom to

The bottom line is the pie army here doesnt get the discussion and suggestions Wood will be better than Blake are pure and simple suggestions...Blake got some decent runs on the board this year. Wood is just potential at the moment.

Fraser is handy up forward I agree...but he isnt a guy who will kick you clutch goals or take strong contested marks like a Brad Ottens or Lade or ever dominate around the ground with second and third efforts...and neither will Wood. Thats what you really need is a class ruckman come forward who can do all of those things. What Collingwood should have done is trade for a higher pick as there are some excellent ruck options in the draft this year.

You needed to bite the bullet and trade for a higher pick but you took what is a second best option. I am not saying Wood cant play..he is a good talent. If you are saying he will answer your problems...you dont understand the discussion or requirements of Big men in the game today.

The Crows were devastated to lose Hudson even Ricciuto commented on it. Brisbane were quite happy to palm Wood off...go figure?

You are an idiot, and very lucky fraser did not play in the prelim.

And Woody is 204cm ruckman. Fraser is a 200cm Ruck Rover, and us pies are bloody happy to finally get the extra hight around the ball we drastically need. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So maybe Carlton should trade for Blake then? Why bother with Kreuzer? Blake's got some decent runs on the board. Do you see the problem with your line of argumentation now?

Fraser is handy up forward I agree...but he isnt a guy who will kick you clutch goals or take strong contested marks like a Brad Ottens or Lade or ever dominate around the ground with second and third efforts...and neither will Wood.

Mate, we don't need Fraser to be anything more than handy up forward. In fact, with Rocca, Cloke, Rusling, Reid etc, I'd be more than happy if Fraser didn't spend any time forward. Our forward line ain't our problem; we've got some of the deepest forward line talent in the entire comp. Our problem is the ruck. And for you to suggest that Fraser can't dominate around the ground and doesn't offer second and third efforts, just shows your ignorance. Around the ground, Fraser is one of the most damaging ruckmen in the comp, and you can't fault his work ethic. Where he's average is at the ruck contest. Not terrible -- just average. It doesn't help that he's carried too much of the ruck burden by himself over recent years. Hence, us trading for Cam Wood.

Thats what you really need is a class ruckman come forward who can do all of those things. What Collingwood should have done is trade for a higher pick as there are some excellent ruck options in the draft this year.

We're not gonna get #1 from Carlton, so we're not gonna get a crack at Kreuzer. As for McEvoy or Bellchambers, most draft watchers think they're a long way short of Kreuzer, and it's not at all clear that they'll be better ruckmen than Wood. Even if they are, it'll probably be another three years before they're ready to play regular senior football.

You needed to bite the bullet and trade for a higher pick but you took what is a second best option.

I think you're overestimating the quality of the not-Kreuzer rucks. In fact, I think you probably know **** all about them and are talking out of your arse.

I am not saying Wood cant play..he is a good talent. If you are saying he will answer your problems...you dont understand the discussion or requirements of Big men in the game today.

No, I understand them. I just don't agree with you. As I suggested earlier, that's probably because you're talking out of your sphincter.

Right NOW Hudson is better. But Hudson turns 29 in a couple of months and has already had one knee reconstructed. Wood turns 21 in a few months and has a clean bill of health. Wood will hopefully be a vital cog in the Collingwood ruck division for the next decade. At 29 coming back from a knee reco, who knows how long Hudson will last.

Hudson is a seasoned ruck who was the Crows' number-one ruckman this year. Wood is a youngster still learning the caper at Brisbane, which also has Charman in his prime and a freak in Leuenberger coming through. Again, this is hardly rocket science to distinguish between the two sets of circumstances. You are either being deliberately obtuse, or you just plain ****ing stupid.

Now **** off and celebrate your flag. Nimrod.

I'm real disappointed we lost Wood for one pick, but I could see it coming. This guy will continue to develop as pies starting ruck and go from good ruckman to superstar ruckman. Mark my words.

So maybe Carlton should trade for Blake then? Why bother with Kreuzer? Blake's got some decent runs on the board. Do you see the problem with your line of argumentation now?

Mate, we don't need Fraser to be anything more than handy up forward. In fact, with Rocca, Cloke, Rusling, Reid etc, I'd be more than happy if Fraser didn't spend any time forward. Our forward line ain't our problem; we've got some of the deepest forward line talent in the entire comp. Our problem is the ruck. And for you to suggest that Fraser can't dominate around the ground and doesn't offer second and third efforts, just shows your ignorance. Around the ground, Fraser is one of the most damaging ruckmen in the comp, and you can't fault his work ethic. Where he's average is at the ruck contest. Not terrible -- just average. It doesn't help that he's carried too much of the ruck burden by himself over recent years. Hence, us trading for Cam Wood.

We're not gonna get #1 from Carlton, so we're not gonna get a crack at Kreuzer. As for McEvoy or Bellchambers, most draft watchers think they're a long way short of Kreuzer, and it's not at all clear that they'll be better ruckmen than Wood. Even if they are, it'll probably be another three years before they're ready to play regular senior football.

I think you're overestimating the quality of the not-Kreuzer rucks. In fact, I think you probably know **** all about them and are talking out of your arse.

No, I understand them. I just don't agree with you. As I suggested earlier, that's probably because you're talking out of your sphincter.

Right NOW Hudson is better. But Hudson turns 29 in a couple of months and has already had one knee reconstructed. Wood turns 21 in a few months and has a clean bill of health. Wood will hopefully be a vital cog in the Collingwood ruck division for the next decade. At 29 coming back from a knee reco, who knows how long Hudson will last.

Hudson is a seasoned ruck who was the Crows' number-one ruckman this year. Wood is a youngster still learning the caper at Brisbane, which also has Charman in his prime and a freak in Leuenberger coming through. Again, this is hardly rocket science to distinguish between the two sets of circumstances. You are either being deliberately obtuse, or you just plain ****ing stupid.

Now **** off and celebrate your flag. Nimrod.

Why would you bother getting into a chat forum if you are so sensitive you cant take another point of view? Where's all this emotional stuff coming from? **** off?...are you pathetic or what? I am not winding you up just giving a point of view about top ruckman in the league and what I see as a glaring reason the Pies have fallen short in their premiership campaigns this decade.

How soft are you? I appreciate any pie supporter who has attempted to have a proper discussion about it...but as for you mate you are as soft as they come. Get a back bone will ya?

Simple points...talk it up all you like...Fraser is a good athletic ruckman...but has never been a top ruckman and never will be. Now you go after a Fraser clone? Who lost you the 2002 and 2003 flags? hmmm...? In the end why did Blake get dropped for the GF...he wasnt strong enough yet for the likes of Brogan and Lade. Wood and Fraser never will be. Blake has a chance down the track.

Answer the 2002 and 2003 questions before you start with your wimpering. Fraser had two chances to win you guys a flag and blew it both times...how does this make him everthing you need?

Wood will be a good ruckman but you need diversity is the simple argument. Blake compliments Ottens this is the point...the very simple point. They have different skills sets and can be used in different structures around the ground and at stoppages. Wood is too much the same as Fraser. Not strong enough at the contest and never will be. Fraser is good at the second and third efforts...but I said he will never dominate them like a top class ruckman does. Read what I say...not what you make up.

We gave up 2 first round picks to get Ottens. There are no shortcuts you either get the first pick in the draft like the Blues or you trade for a top line ruckman. Simple. If you want to debate this point...go do it on the collingwood board where ppl will agree with you. Wood will be good...he wont be a top liner...he wont win you a flag like Ottens did this year.

If you want to respond...do so, lets talk some footy...but leave out the softness and all the dumb comments if thats ok.

Hudson is an excellent ruckman btw...who assuming he recovers well enough could easily play for another 5 years. We see lots of ruckman playing till that age these days and he is athletic enough at this stage to do just that.

If you want everyone agreeing with you all day mate..just stick to the collingwood board. This is the AFL board...where ppl have discussions...?

Good to see that now he is a Collingwood player he is not rated and instantly hated.

If we let him slip we would have copped it for not doing the trade. W're happy.

Pick 14 isn't worth a great deal this year:thumbsu:

Why would you bother getting into a chat forum if you are so sensitive you cant take another point of view? Where's all this emotional stuff coming from? **** off?...are you pathetic or what? I am not winding you up just giving a point of view about top ruckman in the league and what I see as a glaring reason the Pies have fallen short in their premiership campaigns this decade.

How soft are you? I appreciate any pie supporter who has attempted to have a proper discussion about it...but as for you mate you are as soft as they come. Get a back bone will ya?

Simple points...talk it up all you like...Fraser is a good athletic ruckman...but has never been a top ruckman and never will be. Now you go after a Fraser clone? Who lost you the 2002 and 2003 flags? hmmm...? In the end why did Blake get dropped for the GF...he wasnt strong enough yet for the likes of Brogan and Lade. Wood and Fraser never will be. Blake has a chance down the track.

Answer the 2002 and 2003 questions before you start with your wimpering. Fraser had two chances to win you guys a flag and blew it both times...how does this make him everthing you need?

Wood will be a good ruckman but you need diversity is the simple argument. Blake compliments Ottens this is the point...the very simple point. They have different skills sets and can be used in different structures around the ground and at stoppages. Wood is too much the same as Fraser. Not strong enough at the contest and never will be. Fraser is good at the second and third efforts...but I said he will never dominate them like a top class ruckman does. Read what I say...not what you make up.

If you want to respond...do so, lets talk some footy...but leave out the softness and all the dumb comments if thats ok.

Hudson is an excellent ruckman btw...who assuming he recovers well enough could easily play for another 5 years. We see lots of ruckman playing till that age these days and he is athletic enough at this stage to do just that.

If you want everyone agreeing with you all day mate..just stick to the collingwood board. This is the AFL board...where ppl have discussions...?

maybe you should stick to the geelong board as you have no idea how these two players (josh fraser and cameron wood) play as they are two different types of ruckman, and clearly you are the one wanting everyone to agree with you

Fraser is excellent around the ground, in fact would be in the top 3-4 rucks in terms of work around the ground.
Watch his play last year, was sensational. Injuries crippled him this year, hopefully next year he will be back to full fitness.

Hudson is 29 and just coming off a knee reco, so i am glad we didn't trade for him. No doubt he has runs on the board, but this year he played most of the games and was handy, but not great.

Not surprising, Crows are upset that they plucked an unknown from no where and took a chance on him and then he just walked away. Also the Crows have hardly any decent ruck stocks, of course they would be upset.
Lions have great ruck stocks, so they traded their surplus, it's what teams do.

Some much better points made here...but again my simple question is who was the last side to win a flag without two strong top line ruckmen?

The question answers itself. No one will deny Fraser is a good ruckman...sometimes very good. No one will deny Wood is going to be a talent.

At the end of the day will they win you a flag? IMO I dont think so...and recent history tends to agree with me.

maybe you should stick to the geelong board as you have no idea how these two players (josh fraser and cameron wood) play as they are two different types of ruckman, and clearly you are the one wanting everyone to agree with you

I just said lets have a discussion?...how does that equate to wanting everyone to agree.

Wood is the same as Fraser in that he is not strong enough...never will be. Wont take contested marks in the forward 50...particularly come finals. Wont dominate in second and third efforts...again particularly in the pressure cooker of finals.

I shouldnt have said Fraser clone...I agree...but I was suggesting the points above as being the relevant comparison. Yes Fraser is good around the ground...he will never play a game like Ottens did in the preliminary final though or will he ever have the same prescence up forward. Its not his fault he just isnt built for it. Collingwood needed to draft for some genuine ruck strength...this is my simple point.

Talk it up all you like...those two wont win you a flag.

Why would you bother getting into a chat forum if you are so sensitive you cant take another point of view? Where's all this emotional stuff coming from? **** off?...are you pathetic or what?

I did you the courtesy of responding to your post despite the fact that it was absurd from start to finish. I've already showed you more consideration than you deserve.

I am not winding you up just giving a point of view about top ruckman in the league and what I see as a glaring reason the Pies have fallen short in their premiership campaigns this decade.

Yes, and I have responded to your 'view' with my view, which is that you don't know WTF you're talking about. Indeed, I even tried to demonstrate your misguidedness in a point-by-point response.

I'm sorry, WAG. Wipe away your tears -- I'm most apologetic if I upset you. (Pffffft... and you reckon I'm soft. Crikey!)

Simple points...talk it up all you like...Fraser is a good athletic ruckman...but has never been a top ruckman and never will be. Now you go after a Fraser clone? Who lost you the 2002 and 2003 flags? hmmm...?

Where did I say otherwise? I've already conceded that he's average in the ruck contest. You're not debating me here -- you're debating some phantom opponent who said something that I certainly never said.

Sigh. First, spelling note: it's 'whimpering'. And given how much of it you've been doing, I at least thought you'd be able to spell it. Apparently not. Collingwood got beaten in the ruck in both 02 and 03. Yes, I acknowledge our ruck isn't good enough. Why do you think I'm so happy we got Cam Wood?

Again, I don't know who you think you're arguing with here. I think you should untwist your pantalettes, WAG, because they seem to be affecting the blood flow to your brain.

Wood will be a good ruckman but you need diversity is the simple argument. Blake compliments Ottens this is the point...the very simple point. they have different skills seyts and can be used in different structures around the ground and at stoppages. Wood is too much the same as Fraser. Not strong enough at the contest and never will be. Fraser is good at the second and third efforts...but I said he will never dominate them like a top class ruckman does.

Wood will, especially with another couple of years to mature, be a genuine tap ruckman. Fraser will always be a follower type who excels around the ground. The mix will be exactly right.

Read what I say...not what you make up.

Oh, the irony.

Mate, I've made the effort to respond to you twice now, despite the fact that you've pretty much spouted ill-informed garbage. Perhaps you could reflect on that then get back to me?

Where have I disputed Hudson's excellence? Again, you're attributing views to me that I've never expressed (while accusing me of the same thing!). Maybe Hudson is athletic enough to play for another five years. I don't know. Neither do you.

Anyway, I've already wasted enough time on you. If you have any further questions, I suggest you just refer to my posts. I've pretty much covered it all, I think.

You're welcome.

(Nimrod)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron Wood is a Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back