MRP / Trib. Caminiti hit on Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Well he would have if he wasn’t cleared of any wrongdoing

That's not relevant because the consequences don't just include official AFL sanctions. Without Murphy's original action the whole incident wouldn't have occurred. He needs to accept his role in initiating the first contact and unfortunately for him the consequences of that initial action end up redounding on both of them.

And if he got a week what impact would it make? AFL rules already ruled him out of next week
Dosent really mean anything
Tom Lynch was going to potentially get suspended for a handful of weeks despite being ruled out for 2 months with injury

The two different things are not related

What for taking his eyes off the ball bumping someone in the head and knocking them out? Bit different
You have missed the point entirely

Nothing to do with the incidents just pointing out that the fact that Murphy isn’t playing next week would have no bearing on if he could be suspended for a game as well

Caminiti will be lucky to get less than four weeks, the slam tacklers have no chance of getting off.
He’s not likely to change the intentional and severe gradings so four is the best case scenario. Wouldn’t shock me if he got 5-6 though.

Caminiti will be lucky to get less than four weeks, the slam tacklers have no chance of getting off.
The slam tackle is weird right.

Tackling is a football act. And everyone has to, and does do it every week.

But if you're unlucky and a few things don't go your way (player dives for an In The Back free kick during the tackle, player loses his balance during the tackle, a teammate gang tackles which forces their momentum, etc.) you can really hurt someone and get weeks.

But I understand the AFL can't ban tackling. It's a football act.

But then you have stuff like what Murphy did, what Camineti did, what McKay did, what Gaff did and so on, and so on - where the same thing applies in the sense that if things don't go your way, you can really hurt someone and get weeks.

But it's not the result of a football act. It's the result of non-football related reckless act.

Yet the AFL decide that they're Ok with this stuff. It's really poor management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The slam tackle is weird right.

Tackling is a football act. And everyone has to, and does do it every week.

But if you're unlucky and a few things don't go your way (player dives for an In The Back free kick during the tackle, player loses his balance during the tackle, a teammate gang tackles which forces their momentum, etc.) you can really hurt someone and get weeks.

But I understand the AFL can't ban tackling. It's a football act.

But then you have stuff like what Murphy did, what Camineti did, what McKay did, what Gaff did and so on, and so on - where the same thing applies in the sense that if things don't go your way, you can really hurt someone and get weeks.

But it's not the result of a football act. It's the result of non-football related reckless act.

Yet the AFL decide that they're Ok with this stuff. It's really poor management.
The tackle is under real threat. The problem is when players are tackling the trouble begins as they bring their opponent down to the ground. The playing surface is rock hard these days and if you hit your head on the ground from a tackle you will be hurt, player's instincts are to show aggression and dispossess in any way they can, but times have changed and the old-fashioned tackle is on its way out. Nobody likes it, but I give it just a few more years and the art of the tackle will be gone altogether. Not sure what the AFL will do, you might still be able to tackle, but bringing players to the ground from a tackle looks like it is on its last legs. We are approaching a new way of playing Australian Rules Football and it might look more like Gaelic Football than anything else within a few years?

That’s how the MRO has to assess it.

Whether or not he intended to hit him in the head it doesn’t matter. He intended to hit him that’s all it needs to be intentional as it’s off the ball.

If he is concussed it has to be severe. It has to be a minimum of 4 weeks from now
yeah

No one gets suspended for what Murphy did, the Saints player has to get a couple at least even though there wasn’t a lot in it.
This is the problem. Doesn't necessarily have to be a suspension, but it should be a fine at least. Any off the ball strike should be, regardless of force or where the contact is.
Give a bloke a little bump with the body. A hip and shoulder with the elbow tucked in. As soon as an elbow comes up, or a fist, or a swinging arm, instant fine.

He didn't lose his cool though - that's my point. He is a teenager who was getting constant gut punches off the ball so he turned around and gave one back. Murphy lowered and copped it high. He will get weeks but at least he has shown from the outset that he isn't going to be a punching bag.

I think it's exactly the definition of a young kid losing his cool. Think what you want though

This is the problem. Doesn't necessarily have to be a suspension, but it should be a fine at least. Any off the ball strike should be, regardless of force or where the contact is.
Give a bloke a little bump with the body. A hip and shoulder with the elbow tucked in. As soon as an elbow comes up, or a fist, or a swinging arm, instant fine.
I agree with that, I absolutely hate seeing the bullshit shows of strength when players walk back to position, particularly the goal square, it’s a dick measuring contest!

it’s unfortunate the player caught his jaw and dropped him, but that’s the chance you take when you retaliate. Murphy should set a precedent and get a fine, the st player should get 2-4.

If Caminiti is to be suspended, then Murphy should be cited for being the insitigator. Same goes for Shai Bolton for his wild swinging arm gut-slap on the Swans player.

The AFL made their own bed here - by saying strike that at the chest and slip high are careless, not intentional.

To me Caminiti should be on the same scale as Ballard but with higher impact, because precedent suggests they take into account result (concussion).

Careless, high impact, high contact would fit with Ballard & McKay being found careless for what were strikes that slipped high (lower impact).

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Caminiti hit on Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back