Campbell & Garlett & Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

bendawkins

Draftee
Sep 29, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm an infrequent contributor but I've been meaning to get on for a few weeks to ask you all why Levi wasn't getting a game.

I had been watching his good vfl performances and reflecting on the fact that we seriously seemed to lack backbone, given Levi had always added grunt in past years I couldn't understand his non selection.
Predictably he has stiffened up the side beautifully.
Why did this take so long if even a clutz like me could see it ?

I also take the point about the death of the shin boner spirit ?
With the exception of the Richmond match (which I hope is a sign of the future), the team have been heartless, lacking in any kind of character. I suspect spitta is too nice to lead with real authority. I just haven't got that sense that we would fight games out as we did when Stevens and archer were around.

My last point is that we have stupidly deskilled our list by moving on Campbell and garlett. Theses guys were creators of opportunities, goal kickers and finishers. Now we don't have these. North always had these sorts of guys since the krakouers, Adrian macadam, Abraham etc. Lindsay plays for too many free kicks and is more of a marking target. Campbell would have helped us no doubt. Look at what Walters has done this year.
Our forwards are dull. If harper comes in it might improve but please bring back Campbell, garlett or target the other garlett (Dayle) from wafl !

Please enlighten/reassure me

I fear I am losing sight of the joys of following this team, it's become neither tough nor exciting !

Granted, while they may not run out onto the field in gold spandex hotpants with pyrotechnics strapped to their legs that are rigged to go off after each goal, I'm not sure I would necessarily describe our Forwards as "dull".

Seems a weird perception. (Among others in your post.) If on occasion they fail to fire, I can "reassure" you that it's not a result of any beige-ness of Forward personnel at the club's disposal.

We are not a lot of things this year, but to say we aren't exciting is just plain wrong. I was pretty freaking excited when Taz kicked 4 in the first half, I've been pretty excited by Blacks emergence this year, I'm pretty excited when Drewy pulls down a massive contested mark and puts it into the third tier, and I've been pretty excited that Thomas has been leading the Coleman for more than half the year.

But I'll give you one, that Boomer puts you to sleep with his lack of run and gun goals. Yawn.

Harper is exciting and has more upside than Campbell so it will be great when he gets back into fitness and form. Atley and Mullet are exciting players who break lines, and of course we still have Harvey. Black is exciting, Taz is exiting when he takes marks, and Daw is exciting off the scale when he gets going. Jack excites most of us when he takes big marks, kicks big goals and barges through the opposition, same with Cunnington.

C. Garlett was not an exciting, line breaking player but a tough inside midfielder, and we had and have plenty of them with more skill. It was a shame to see him and Campbell go, but not shocking.

Happy to trust our recruiters on Dayle Garlett's potential to be a positive contributor.

I don't watch VFL so can't say about Levi - all I know is that the last time he was recalled he didn't have this kind of impact, so they might not have been rushing to do it again, or there might have been specific things they were asking him to do and waiting to see. Or they might just have preferred the other guys while they were all available. Great to see him playing like this again, though, and making it hard to see him dropped again for a while.

We have Majak, Wright, Harper, Garner in the twos. Black has pushed Hansen down back where he is clunking marks.

Edwards, McIntosh, Pedo, Campbell, Warren, McKinley are not exactly doing much elsewhere.

Our forward line is not dull and would be the envy of most of the comp.

Our midfield has lacked a defensive edge, polish and at times grunt. Garlett was not the answer and Campbell was a 10 possession , 1 goal a game tweener like those Carlton clones. Not like those Geelong clones who are small running mids who get 20 plus and can kick goals from the midfield not the forward line.

We are still effectively at 92.5% of the cap. Off season we gained project mids and lost nothing of significance. What we really needed were 100 game established mids.

I had been watching his good vfl performances and reflecting on the fact that we seriously seemed to lack backbone, given Levi had always added grunt in past years I couldn't understand his non selection.
Predictably he has stiffened up the side beautifully.
Why did this take so long if even a clutz like me could see it ?
!
you're doing well to watch VFL games from Perth! For what it's worth Flash has had some good games with North Adelaide but on the weekend he got caught holding the ball causing them to lose by 2 points!

Happy to trust our recruiters on Dayle Garlett's potential to be a positive contributor.

Definitely not having a go at 'Hearts to Hearts', whose response I really appreciated, but it is this kind of 'management speak' that is stuffing up teams like ours. There are too many teams and players who have had all of the flair and daring pumped out of them. How boring are Collingwood? We've produced a generation of robotic dullards.

Dayle Garlett is pure class, getting hung up on whether he can follow team protocols (which are important to a degree) is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

We need more X-factor not less.

I really thank those for responding to my post, and in the most part I found it enlightening to hear others views on why those two indigenous boys were moved on. I still think either of Campbell or Cruize Garlett would have kicked goals up on the Gold Coast for example, where our mediocre one-speed 'metrosexuals' were barely able to bother the scorers.

As for the likes of Sam Wright being a genuine forward option, Good Luck! The guy has played his best games as a shut down player and doesnt have the X-factor to create opportunities from very little, which is what is needed in tight games (which is what wever had all year). Again, look at Michael Walters, he is winning games off his own boot through creating opportunity rather than feigning for free kicks like Thomas (although his scoreboard achievements have overshadowed his conniving tactics).

And to those who chose to ridicule a fellow North supporter because my post doesn't fit your self-declared formula for this forum, I'll sign off for another year and leave it to you to show me how amazingly insightful and humorous your really are.

As for the likes of Sam Wright being a genuine forward option, Good Luck! The guy has played his best games as a shut down player and doesnt have the X-factor to create opportunities from very little, which is what is needed in tight games (which is what wever had all year). Again, look at Michael Walters, he is winning games off his own boot through creating opportunity rather than feigning for free kicks like Thomas (although his scoreboard achievements have overshadowed his conniving tactics).

Sam Wright was to a hung out to dry a little by the coaching staff.

There is an element within North Melbourne that I will call 'Overfaith'

We played LT until he was completely deviod of confidence and a broken man.

We have played an under performing Patch Adams waiting for him to run into form. It finally came back on the weekend and thank f*** for it.

We played Sammy Wright consistently trying to get his form to bounce back.

Sam had chances to seal a couple of games earlier in the year, and didn't and it effected his confidence. Sam is an incredibly skillfull dual sided player how has had to play a Mr Fix it role more than once, he's a forward, he's a back, he's a wing, he's a tagger for a utility.

Settle him in a role, train him there, play him there. Watch him smash it.

I have said it a number of times but ill say it again... Campbell was delisted because of trouble he caused. It was not only the crown incident, he had been warned a number of times. That is why no one else picked him either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not having a go at 'Hearts to Hearts', whose response I really appreciated, but it is this kind of 'management speak' that is stuffing up teams like ours. There are too many teams and players who have had all of the flair and daring pumped out of them. How boring are Collingwood? We've produced a generation of robotic dullards.

Dayle Garlett is pure class, getting hung up on whether he can follow team protocols (which are important to a degree) is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

We need more X-factor not less.

I really thank those for responding to my post, and in the most part I found it enlightening to hear others views on why those two indigenous boys were moved on. I still think either of Campbell or Cruize Garlett would have kicked goals up on the Gold Coast for example, where our mediocre one-speed 'metrosexuals' were barely able to bother the scorers.

And to those who chose to ridicule a fellow North supporter because my post doesn't fit your self-declared formula for this forum, I'll sign off for another year and leave it to you to show me how amazingly insightful and humorous your really are.

Mate, thanks for posting.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing you, it's more that they disagree with your opening post.

On Campbell and Garlett. Firstly, I thought we offered Garlett a contract and he turned it down and decided to leave. Campbell was a flashy player, but just didn't have the consistency for AFL. His tank and work rate were not up to it, and you can see from the way the game is played now that every player needs to be working hard up and down the ground.

Greenwood is an interesting one. He has more than taken his chances since coming back in and looks to have firmed up his spot in the side. Not sure why he wasn't selected earlier, maybe there was a couple of things he needed to work on that we just couldn't see.

X-factor is good to have, but not necessarily the be-all and end-all. LT has some, Black has some, Boomer has it in spades, Harper does but needs to work on other things. Yes, Michael Walters is having a good year and does have x-factor, but I would suggest LT is having just as good a year and is kicking goals.

At the end of the day everyone has a right to their own opinion. You make some good points. But just remember that clubs are in the AFL to win games and, ultimately, premierships. If they need to produce more working class players and game plans, well that's what they will do. It would be great to see a team running around with nothing but excitement machines in it, but they won't win games and they definitely won't win flags.

That made me laugh.

You criticise our players for lacking hardness ... and then take your bat and ball and go home when people take issue with your football opinion.

Too funny. Post more often!

Cambell supposedly had a long list of non-football related indiscretions.

Did I like him as a player? Yea. Do I mind that he was moved on? No.

Noone else picked him up either which speaks volumes.

Garlett tried hard but he was always punching above his weight in terms of height and couldn't make up for it with his limited skills, smarts and pace. Camebell was a effective sub but injury prone and wasn't consistent enough overall hence the lack of full games.

NM if they don't have the best complement of KPP are within the top 3. We are one of the few teams that actually do not need to sell our soul to GWS for Tom Boyd.

As for Garlett and Campbell, neither of them were picked up. As for half forward types we have a player who I really rate in Harper kicking around in reserves also.

If any part of the side does not need improvment, it's the forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell & Garlett & Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back