Can Carlton Win A Flag between now and 2009?

Remove this Banner Ad

bmwofoz

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2005
Right side of the Yarra
AFL Club
Essendon
I ask what is a Serious Question for a Carlton Supporter has betted me $50 Bucks that Carlton will win a Flag before 2009, I don't think they can, sure I expect them to make the 8.

So do you think Carlton can Win A Flag within 4 Years and Why or Not?

bmwofoz said:
I ask what is a Serious Question for a Carlton Supporter has betted me $50 Bucks that Carlton will win a Flag before 2009, I don't think they can, sure I expect them to make the 8.

So do you think Carlton can Win A Flag within 4 Years and Why or Not?
Did anyone think 4 years ago that Sydney could win a flag? Did anyone think in 1998 that Brisbane could win a flag 3 years later? In fact did anyone think Brisbane could win a flag after Carlton beat them by 12 goals during the 2001 season? A lot can happen in 4 years of football. The AFL system is meant to operate on the theory that a team that finishes at the lower end of the ladder should see some reasonable success within 3-4 years if they draft and recruit reasonably well. So in answer to your question, yes Carlton could win a flag before 2009, as could Hawthorn and maybe even Richmond, but I would suggest that neither Geelong nor Melbourne nor the Kangaroos will.

I have my doubts (will probably be proved wrong though!)

Reasons:

1) Other teams will be better than them! (Ha,ha!)

2) I think that to win a flag you need some decent players that are around 23-26 years old. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any star Carlton players in this age bracket.

3) They really got burnt those couple of years when their top draft picks got taken away from them (this may explain the above).

Crow Chick said:
1) Other teams will be better than them! (Ha,ha!)
A lot changes in 4 years. Adelaide 12th in 2004, minor premiers in 2005. Carlton grand finalists in 1999, finalists in 2000 and 2001 and wooden spooners in 2002. There will be surprises before 2009, that is guaranteed.

2) I think that to win a flag you need some decent players that are around 23-26 years old. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any star Carlton players in this age bracket.
So decent players from 19-22 now will be 23-26 at the business end of 2009. We have a lot more potential at the lower end of the age scale.

3) They really got burnt those couple of years when their top draft picks got taken away from them (this may explain the above).
By the time 2009 rolls around, we would already have gone through 6 full seasons since the penalties were handed down. Those draft penalties should have worked their way through now. They will not or should not be an excuse for failure any more ... for the club or the coach.

No. They cannot.
A Premiership team NEEDS plenty of experienced finals campaigners, and Carlton will have very few in 2009 (if any). It hurt St Kilda in 04 and 05 and it will hurt Hawthorn and Carlton in 2008-10 when they make their first serious run at the finals. I'm sure they will have plenty of handy players in their side by then, several of Waite, Murphy, Kennedy, Bentick, Fisher etc will be star players, but that isn't enough to win a flag and don't listen to anyone who says it is.

waspy said:
No. They cannot.
A Premiership team NEEDS plenty of experienced finals campaigners, and Carlton will have very few in 2009 (if any). It hurt St Kilda in 04 and 05 and it will hurt Hawthorn and Carlton in 2008-10 when they make their first serious run at the finals. I'm sure they will have plenty of handy players in their side by then, several of Waite, Murphy, Kennedy, Bentick, Fisher etc will be star players, but that isn't enough to win a flag and don't listen to anyone who says it is.
so going on your logic ..the bulldogs will never win a premiership :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mediumsizered said:
Did anyone think 4 years ago that Sydney could win a flag? Did anyone think in 1998 that Brisbane could win a flag 3 years later? In fact did anyone think Brisbane could win a flag after Carlton beat them by 12 goals during the 2001 season? A lot can happen in 4 years of football. The AFL system is meant to operate on the theory that a team that finishes at the lower end of the ladder should see some reasonable success within 3-4 years if they draft and recruit reasonably well. So in answer to your question, yes Carlton could win a flag before 2009, as could Hawthorn and maybe even Richmond, but I would suggest that neither Geelong nor Melbourne nor the Kangaroos will.
Yeah but Sydney and Brisbane are interstate clubs who have it a bit easier due to the extra $$$ in the salary cap. A little bit of money makes a huge difference.

Anyway I think all Vic clubs will struggle to win a flag by 2009, the Saints are probably the only good chance for a flag and even they are suspect.

Blues_Man said:
so going on your logic ..the bulldogs will never win a premiership :rolleyes:
If they can make the finals for a few years then they are a chance. The Bulldogs are certainly a chance to win a flag before 2009, but they are a few years ahead of Carlton and Hawthorn so it makes sense that their first real tilt at a flag will come before the Blues and Hawks.

SorryIHammerChicken said:
Yeah but Sydney and Brisbane are interstate clubs who have it a bit easier due to the extra $$$ in the salary cap. A little bit of money makes a huge difference.

Anyway I think all Vic clubs will struggle to win a flag by 2009, the Saints are probably the only good chance for a flag and even they are suspect.
Every single club will struggle to win a flag before 2009, what would be the fun if it was easy!?!
Plenty of Victorian clubs are in the running, every club except the Hawks and Blues, who won't have enough experience by then.

SorryIHammerChicken said:

I would probably agree with you in relation to Brisbane, who were able to keep a very talented list together due to their salary cap concessions. If you look at the Sydney case, though, I wouldn't think they are having too much trouble paying their players within the salary cap, because their list does not contain as many stars as Brisbane's did. With Sydney you are looking at a team that got the best out of the list that they possibly could, this year, but on paper I doubt their premiership team would stack up against the likes of Carlton and Richmond's teams of the 70s, or the Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon teams of the 80s or the Brisbane three-peat teams. Sydney took full advantage of this season being a weak season challenge-wise and their players wanted it more than the more talented teams from St Kilda, Melbourne, Geelong and the Weagles. I doubt we will see Eddie complaining about the advantage Sydney get due to their salary cap concession.

Carlton will have an impressive list by 2009 (the draft will see to that), the current has-been they call a coach will be gone, dud's like Whitnall and Fevola will have been p*ssed off, as will the dinosaur they have as a president.

Anything's possible.

JeffDunne said:
Carlton will have an impressive list by 2009 (the draft will see to that), the current has-been they call a coach will be gone, dud's like Whitnall and Fevola will have been p*ssed off, as will the dinosaur they have as a president.

Anything's possible.
Have you paid your 2006 Carlton membership yet?

Any team can. 2009 is a long way away. Some examples have been mentioned before, also remember that the Kangaroos won a flag in 1996, but were a middle of the road side in 1992. Sydney made the 96 grand final after being the bottom team in 92. The Eagles got their first flag in 92 after struggling only three years earlier in 89.

Four years makes your 17, 18 and 19 year olds 21, 22, 23. Who knows what kind of experience they can have by then. They could be surprise packets in 06 or 07 and make 8th, make a prelim by 08 and have their shot in 09. I think a lot of supporters here should remember that a few key injuries and a bit of a ban run could easily see their side on the bottom of the ladder, while good team management, a good gameplan and some confidence can build a side towards the future.

I think 2009 is a little too soon to be talking premierships. However, I do expect us to be playing finals by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Carlton Win A Flag between now and 2009?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back