Can Carlton Win A Flag between now and 2009?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most Carlton supporters realise it's going to be a step by step process, which will take some time.

Firstly, we have to beome competetive again. No more 10+ goal thumpings by teams like St.kilda and West Coast.

Secondly, we have to start moving up the ladder. This will happen as we get more and more young kids into the club. Last years and this years "batch" of youngsters is a start.

IMO, 2007-2008 is when we could expect to start challenging for a finals spot. With the age of our list, only Koutoufides and possibly French will be gone by then, and alot of our younger kids will have gained that all important experience.

I really don't think we can expect to be looking at premierships for quite some time.

bmwofoz said:
I ask what is a Serious Question for a Carlton Supporter has betted me $50 Bucks that Carlton will win a Flag before 2009, I don't think they can, sure I expect them to make the 8.

So do you think Carlton can Win A Flag within 4 Years and Why or Not?
You can collect the $50 and spend it now.:cool:

Reasons are obvious.

Yes they can and they will (god willing) as there are a few scalps the Blues need to take out as a result of what happened in the last few years.

Revenge can only be served up with a premiership or two. I will be remembering and I hope the players do to the thrashings Carlton have received from Essendon and St Kilda recently. The loss to Fremantle and Pavlich was humiliating as well. But remember Essendon got thrashed by over 100 points by Hawthorn in 92. They "won" the flag in 93 with youngsters... even though they received a big hand from Wallis's swinging elbow and dodgy umpiring.

I think it is a chance provided:

1. They draft well again at the end of 2006;
2. Move either of Fevola or Whitnall to another club - you can't have a situation where individual player/s see themselves as more important than the club (read Hawthorn and Crawford), it's destabilising (I'd keep Whitnall - has more natural talent and consistency);
3. A new coach if the wins don't start coming in 2006.

Not beyond the realms of possibility.

harmesy 37 said:
Yes they can and they will (god willing) as there are a few scalps the Blues need to take out as a result of what happened in the last few years.

Revenge can only be served up with a premiership or two. I will be remembering and I hope the players do to the thrashings Carlton have received from Essendon and St Kilda recently. The loss to Fremantle and Pavlich was humiliating as well. But remember Essendon got thrashed by over 100 points by Hawthorn in 92. They "won" the flag in 93 with youngsters... even though they received a big hand from Wallis's swinging elbow and dodgy umpiring.

i think we won by 7 goals. which means we WON the 93 flag, however hard it must be to comprehend Harmesy.

cypher said:
Well, we don't have Cancereale anymore so it's a start to getting some good accountable footballers not players.:D

what an awful human being you are.

he won a premiership with your club, a B&F and gained AA selecion whils playing with the Blues, and the least you can call him is something as offensive as Cancereale. you peice of dirt human being.

Tricky_Ricky2 said:
what an awful human being you are.

he won a premiership with your club, a B&F and gained AA selecion whils playing with the Blues, and the least you can call him is something as offensive as Cancereale. you peice of dirt human being.
Nothing to do with his on-field success mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mediumsizered said:
Did anyone think 4 years ago that Sydney could win a flag? Did anyone think in 1998 that Brisbane could win a flag 3 years later? In fact did anyone think Brisbane could win a flag after Carlton beat them by 12 goals during the 2001 season? A lot can happen in 4 years of football. The AFL system is meant to operate on the theory that a team that finishes at the lower end of the ladder should see some reasonable success within 3-4 years if they draft and recruit reasonably well. So in answer to your question, yes Carlton could win a flag before 2009, as could Hawthorn and maybe even Richmond, but I would suggest that neither Geelong nor Melbourne nor the Kangaroos will.

******** weak return mate. None of those sides were as bad as your lot. man you need the luck of an irishman to get there... sad.

dee_molisher said:
******** weak return mate. None of those sides were as bad as your lot. man you need the luck of an irishman to get there... sad.
How bad were Sydney when Rodney Eade was knifed in the back?

What is sad dee_molisher is that your miserable lot haven't looked like winning a premiership since 1964. Two grand final appearances since then and you have been flogged mercilessly in both of them. What is also sad is that your last two finals appearances have also resulted in embarrassing losses. We certainly don't need any advice from your lot, the mentally softest team in the competition.

pazza said:
I think it is a chance provided:

1. They draft well again at the end of 2006;
2. Move either of Fevola or Whitnall to another club - you can't have a situation where individual player/s see themselves as more important than the club (read Hawthorn and Crawford), it's destabilising (I'd keep Whitnall - has more natural talent and consistency);
3. A new coach if the wins don't start coming in 2006.

Not beyond the realms of possibility.
Spot on.

mediumsizered said:
How bad were Sydney when Rodney Eade was knifed in the back?
Not that bad considering the number of games that they lost by less than 2 goals. He still walked away with a win/loss ratio of > 50% from memory

I'd say Carlton don't have the players to win a premiership between now and 2009. If this years draft picks turn out incredibly well (a la St Kilda - not just the top picks but the mid-range), there might be a faint hope. I'd be surprised if we don't make finals at some stage in that span - in at least one of those 4 years everything will go right. But we're probably 5-6 years away from premiership contention, and perhaps longer from winning one.

2005 - sydney (11th in 02) , wce (14th in 01)
2004 - port (14th in 00), bl (6th in 00)
2003 - bl (3rd in 99), coll (16th in 99)
2002 - bl (16th in 98), coll (14th in 98)
2001 - bl (8th in 97), ess (14th in 97)
2000 - ess (4th in 96), melb (14th in 96)
1999 - nm (3rd in 95), carl (1st in 95)
1998 - adl (11th in 94), nm (3rd in 94)
1997 - adl (3rd in 93), stk (12th in 93)
1996 - nm (12th in 92), syd (15th (3-1-18) in 92)
1995 - carl (11th in 91), gee (3rd in 91)
1994 - wce (3rd in 90), gee (10 in 90)
1993 - ess (3rd in 89), carl (10th in 89)
1992 - wce (5th in 88), gee (9th in 88)

16 of the last 28 grand finalists have finished outside finals 4 years earlier.

including 3 wooden spoons...

lets not forget that this time last year carlton were in same situation as bulldogs now, 3 years after spoon and finishing season strongly. st.kilda was the same in 2000 (spoon) 2003 (finishing strongly).

and if carlton have no quality players why was so many clubs chassing them over the off season....

bmwofoz said:
I ask what is a Serious Question for a Carlton Supporter has betted me $50 Bucks that Carlton will win a Flag before 2009, I don't think they can, sure I expect them to make the 8.

So do you think Carlton can Win A Flag within 4 Years and Why or Not?

No.

With the current list and coaching staff, another entire cleanout will be required before they make the top 6.

How the mighty have fallen.

"The Carlton Football Club - Embracing Mediocrity Since we got Busted"

elgranto said:
16 of the last 28 grand finalists have finished outside finals 4 years earlier.

including 3 wooden spoons...

lets not forget that this time last year carlton were in same situation as bulldogs now, 3 years after spoon and finishing season strongly. st.kilda was the same in 2000 (spoon) 2003 (finishing strongly).

and if carlton have no quality players why was so many clubs chassing them over the off season....

Yes but there is a difference between finishing last and being relatively veteran-reliant and finishing, say, 12th and showing considerable improvement. The only squad to finish last on your list (at first glance) was Brisbane but they did so with the likes of Voss, Aker, Lappin, Leppitsch and Lynch in their squad. I don't think it's reasonable to say that Carlton have that sort of talent coming through yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Carlton Win A Flag between now and 2009?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back