Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We have plenty of quality youth coming through.

That may be true, but it is hard to assess when so few of them are getting senior games. VFL form can be misleading (as much as I'd not like it to be, 100+ win to Box Hill against North (who don't have many AFL listed players) followed by 84 point win against Carlton). In any case, I think it is probably pointless comparing clubs at different stages of the cycle in this regard.

Last edited:
What point? I just correctly pointed out your youth is trash and a couple of you have desperately clung onto the fact that McKay and Weltering are still 23, even though they're in the age group of players turning 24 this year.

Your two best mids are 33 and 30, and you don't have a key forward. Stones in glass houses etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That may be true, but it is hard to assess when so few of them are getting senior games. VFL form can be misleading (as much as I'd not like it to be, 100+ win to Box Hill against North (who don't have many AFL listed players) followed by 84 point win against Carlton). In any case, I think it is probably pointless comparing clubs at different stages of the cycle in this regard.
Maybe.

Parfitt
Henry
Clark
Holmes
Simpson
Close
Myers
SavRat
Narkel

All are seeing a bit, and I think all could potentially be good players. Some maybe excellent.

Maybe.

Parfitt
Henry
Clark
Holmes
Simpson
Close
Myers
SavRat
Narkel

All are seeing a bit, and I think all could potentially be good players. Some maybe excellent.
The best of our youth hasn't debuted yet.

Well I would say SDK and Holmes are the best youth on our list, and each have debuted.

But yeah. Maybe Cooper really nails it when he gets going.
Cooper is the one.

Maybe.

Parfitt
Henry
Clark
Holmes
Simpson
Close
Myers
SavRat
Narkel

Yes, you've had a few in the 22 and 23 year old range that have been getting games (Parfitt, Henry, Simpson, Close,Miers, SavRat, Narkle). Very decent players.

However in the under 22 bracket really only Clark has been given a decent run. Holmes has played only 1 game. I'm sure a bunch of your 21 and under players will be decent, we've just seen a little more of ours than yours. Which makes complete sense of course, this isn't a criticism. You guys competing means that the 18-21 group at Geelong just hasn't got the exposure they'd get at a club that was at the opposite end of the ladder would have. We had players like Sicily play a LOT of games at VFL level for similar reasons. When you eventually bottom out (if you ever do, I'm losing hope of seeing that in my lifetime at the moment :) ), you'll end up with a bunch of players that people will tell you are no good because if they were they'd have already broken into the side, and while that is sometimes true, there are definitely exceptions , especially when your senior team is strong enough to be playing in grand finals.

Last edited:
Yes, you've had a few in the 22 and 23 year old range that have been getting games (Parfitt, Henry, Simpson, Close,Miers, SavRat, Narkle). Very decent players.

However in the under 22 bracket really only Clark has been given a decent run. Holmes has played only 1 game. I'm sure a bunch of your 21 and under players will be decent, we've just seen a little more of ours than yours. Which makes complete sense of course, this isn't a criticism. You guys competing means that the 18-21 group at Geelong just hasn't got the exposure they'd get at a club that was at the opposite end of the ladder would have. We had players like Sicily play a LOT of games at VFL level for similar reasons. When you eventually bottom out (if you ever do, I'm losing hope of seeing that in my lifetime at the moment :) ), you'll end up with a bunch of players that people will tell you are no good because if they were they'd have already broken into the side, and while that is sometimes true, there are definitely exceptions , especially when your senior team is strong enough to be playing in grand finals.
Agreed.

I guess the difference when I look at the Hawks current list is the staggering number of very late picks and rookies etc.

It makes it even harder to think they are likely to make it.

Agreed.

I guess the difference when I look at the Hawks current list is the staggering number of very late picks and rookies etc.

I don't see a lot of difference there, and the difference I see favours us. You've got nobody under 21 who was picked higher than 15. 70% of them were outside of the first round. I've got more confidence that a player like Kosi who was picked in the third round but has kicked 12 goals in 9 games in a ball starved forward line will make it than all your 0 gamers in the sub 22 bracket. Ditto for our players picked before 15 like Will Day and DGB. Like I said, I'm sure some of your 0 gamers will make it (as I'm hoping our top 10 pick 0 gamer will), its not the kids fault that Geelong have a bunch of older talent keeping them in contention and as a result, keeping the kids out of the side. Some will be grabbing their chances at some point, I'm sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back