Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that what this is all about, you think I'm writing Breust off? Saying he is on the way down doesn't mean I'm writing him off. It means he won't get any better than he was last season. He won't improve any further. Dangerfield isn't getting any better either.
Okay so why is he on the way down, give a reason other than age because 28 isn't ****ing old...

Is that what this is all about, you think I'm writing Breust off? Saying he is on the way down doesn't mean I'm writing him off. It means he won't get any better than he was last season. He won't improve any further. Dangerfield isn't getting any better either.

Bruest rated in the top five offseason performers by our physical performance manager. Ran a personal best at the time trial. https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-02-22/summer-standouts-luke-breust

Bruest (assuming he stays fit) will definitely improve further. Going to be a real leader this season.

No reason why Dangerfield can't improve too. I expect the new 6-6-6 will give Dangerfield an advantage and think he is a good chance to have a career best season. Maybe even tidy up that kicking.

Buddy is a good example of someone who has been playing some incredible career best football since turning 28.

Bruest rated in the top five offseason performers by our physical performance manager. Ran a personal best at the time trial. https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-02-22/summer-standouts-luke-breust

Bruest (assuming he stays fit) will definitely improve further. Going to be a real leader this season.

No reason why Dangerfield can't improve too. I expect the new 6-6-6 will give Dangerfield an advantage and think he is a good chance to have a career best season. Maybe even tidy up that kicking.

Buddy is a good example of someone who has been playing some incredible career best football since turning 28.
He was 21 in 2008 and 24-25 in 2011-2012 ;)

I wonder how much 6-6-6 is going to affect things because from my understanding that is only after goals at centre bounces, and it will only last for a few seconds since it will only take that long for teams to restructure after the centre bounce. I don't see the 6-6-6 rule having much effect to be honest, not like it would if the AFL did what they originally planned and had a 6-6-6 at every bounce, not just centre bounces.

I wonder how much 6-6-6 is going to affect things because from my understanding that is only after goals at centre bounces, and it will only last for a few seconds since it will only take that long for teams to restructure after the centre bounce. I don't see the 6-6-6 rule having much effect to be honest, not like it would if the AFL did what they originally planned and had a 6-6-6 at every bounce, not just centre bounces.

Guys who can get clean centre square clearances like Danger will get a big advantage.

Guys who can get clean centre square clearances like Danger will get a big advantage.

Will be interesting to see if it encourages them to play him more there. Was only ranked 26th for centre clearances last year, largely I assume due to spending so much time forward given the clearance machine that he is.

Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Josh Gibson
Grant Birchall
Cyril Rioli
Jordan Lewis
Buddy Franklin
David Hale
Brian Lake
Brad Sewell
Brent Guerra
Brad Hill
Matt Suckling

That's 13 premiership players from the 3peat dynasty that Clarkson did not have at his disposal last year. There's a few others, but that'll do. All of them gone from the club with the exception of Cyril, who retired after a handful of games and Birchall, who was injured again and missed the season.

The Hawks still managed to win 15 games, snag 4th place on the ladder and play a couple of finals. Not bad for a team in transition who nobody rated. 95% of people thought Hawthorn would finish closer to the bottom four than the top four.

If memory serves, 12 months ago, the thread starter was leading the charge in talking up Hawthorn's bottom 4/wooden spoon chances. Essendon fans will be doing cartwheels if their 2019 team can replicate Hawthorn's 2018 season.

There are a lot of naysayers and plenty of negativity about our future, but Clarko seems to be doing a pretty good job of refurbishing the list and keeping the team competitive

Last edited:
Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Josh Gibson
Grant Birchall
Cyril Rioli
Jordan Lewis
Buddy Franklin
David Hale
Brian Lake
Brad Sewell
Brent Guerra
Brad Hill
Matt Suckling

That's 13 premiership players from the 3peat dynasty that Clarkson did not have at his disposal last year. There's a few others, but that'll do. All of them gone from the club with the exception of Cyril, who retired after a handful of games and Birchall, who was injured again and missed the season.

The Hawks still managed to win 15 games, snag 4th place on the ladder and play a couple of finals. Not bad for a team in transition who nobody rated. 95% of people thought Hawthorn would finish closer to the bottom four than the top four.

If memory serves, 12 months ago, the thread starter was leading the charge in talking up Hawthorn's bottom 4/wooden spoon chances. Essendon fans will be doing cartwheels if their 2019 team can replicate Hawthorn's 2018 season.

There are a lot of naysayers and plenty of negativity about our future, but Clarko seems to be doing a pretty good job of refurbishing the list and keeping the team competitive
You also have Hawthorn posters getting excited about beating Carlton in a pre-season match so I guess that put things in perspective

If flooding defence, 2 wings start off the HB line, 2 of the forwards rush the centre square. How many grounds is the 50m line more than 10m from the centre square?

It will have minimal effect.

If they want free flowing they get rid of thr nominating rucks and throw the ball quickly. Or bring back the bounce and dont recall. Cant flood if you have no time and dont know where the ball is going.

You got smoked in the finals and have lost Mitchell and roughy is spent, fees north.bombers.even freo look stronger.
silk is one bad calf injury away from calling time.
birchalls knee is gone.
spud fawley plays like a 45 year old...

Most fans honestly don't think the hawks will come last. I reckon 11th with the real pqin to come next 2 years.

You got smoked in the finals and have lost Mitchell and roughy is spent, fees north.bombers.even freo look stronger.
silk is one bad calf injury away from calling time.
birchalls knee is gone.
spud fawley plays like a 45 year old...

Most fans honestly don't think the hawks will come last. I reckon 11th with the real pqin to come next 2 years.
So having Hawks as your supported team was an accident then?

Clearly it's a bet gone wrong.or maybe I enjoy supporting teams with ripping new talent like Mitch Lewis🤪
Just remember our midfield kids (Pick 45 last year, and 2 rookie picks) beat your midfield that contained a #1, #3 & # 6 draft picks in the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just remember our midfield kids (Pick 45 last year, and 2 rookie picks) beat your midfield that contained a #1, #3 & # 6 draft picks in the last few years.

My team is the northern blues is that how bad you have fallen claiming vfl flags deary me! Lucky you have 2 kick smash nash up forward

Selwood at 7. You chose Thorpe ahead of him.
Our last few first rounder have been duds

Smedts at 15
Cockatoo at 10

Thorp and Dowler? Also
You also have Hawthorn posters getting excited about beating Carlton in a pre-season match so I guess that put things in perspective

Mate, that was me and it was just that our 'no name' youngsters did OK against a carlton team presumably full of early picks, (also young) which is the premise of this thread. Just one example of why the thread is toasty

I feel that this is the year things will catch up to the Hawks. Already a body blow losing Mitchell, there are 3 or 4 players currently in their best 22 that are on the downside of their career.

Would be very surprised if they were challenging for top 8 this year and from there on I think the absence of really elite young talent will start to bite.

The bottom out and refresh/premiership window theory predates free agency and the associated willingness of clubs to trade.

Prior to that if you wanted to have kids coming through evenly spaced age wise you would have needed every draft pick to be solid.

The tendency for not all draftees to be anywhere near A grade meant the equation is adjusted so tht a club could only be in the window theoretically 3 years out of 12 or so. the theory was you maximise this by loading up in a couple of drafts with early picks and have them come through together

Also to maximise this, in those years you trade out good players who are older to get more early draft picks - but it doesnt always work

The stay at the top and see model can benefit from the good players being traded out by such clubs

there are more clubs now than prior to expansion, but similar numbers of draftees. clearly all clubs are doing what hawthorn are to some extent

Clearly it's a bet gone wrong.or maybe I enjoy supporting teams with ripping new talent like Mitch Lewis🤪
I mean he finished 2nd in the VFL goal kicking last season which i would say is promising signs for a young key forward.

Classic, no rebuttal so just revert to "HaWfOrN wOn ThE fLaG"
Mate you had no rebuttal in the first place so just started saying Breust isn't as good as Danger, which was never the point...

I mean he finished 2nd in the VFL goal kicking last season which i would say is promising signs for a young key forward.

Sounds great till you mention the total and the fact you guys won the flag.

The guy is poo. Outside of cousins the youth is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back