Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't Silvagni & Rice badly injured and out for the year and maybe even for a couple of years? ...................... Surely?
I think EQ is overrating SOSOS just for the sake of a juicy story.

Also, she is overlooking the fact we can trade for extra picks to use to match bids as the bidding is on draft night this year.

I think EQ is overrating SOSOS just for the sake of a juicy story.

Also, she is overlooking the fact we can trade for extra picks to use to match bids as the bidding is on draft night this year.

Seems that way but Father/Son certainly isn't what it used to be, where the Dogs could pick up Liberatore for a #41.

We've probably fired up our academy at the wrong time given we may have to say no as much as we have to say yes, to future F/S's

Seems that way but Father/Son certainly isn't what it used to be, where the Dogs could pick up Liberatore for a #41.

We've probably fired up our academy at the wrong time given we may have to say no as much as we have to say yes, to future F/S's
SOSOS had 1 touch for 1 goal on Friday and so far today at half time he's had maximum 2 touches.....doesn't help that metro are nearly unwatchable.

Aren't Silvagni & Rice badly injured and out for the year and maybe even for a couple of years? ...................... Surely?
Not quite but have heard that they both have issues with discipline and other off field issues.....

Should help the little Darlings slide a bit !!;)

SOSOS is only 77kgs. He's at least 2 seasons away from playing senior footy. Can't see a club using a pick inside the top 40 for him...

Hopefully that works in our favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any points Carlton owes would be subtracted from their first pick. Depending on where the Blues finish in 2016, that could mean their first pick moving from, say, 4 to 7 or 8, a significant slide in most draft orders.

Should clubs bid picks 37 and 40 for the pair, the Blues 2016 draft would not be affected but their fourth round pick would be moved further down the order.

A bid made before pick 21 for either boy would mean the Blues would start matching the bid using their second-round pick and that they would be able to cover both players in the one draft.

FMD, after reading this convoluted logic this new system is about as saleable by the AFL as WorkChoices and The Carbon Tax rolled together. It epitomises the adage "Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them". The commission has disappeared up its own clacker.

Among the best without kicking a goal. :thumbsu:

I think that's a little charitable by whoever did the votes.

Vic metro should have been smashed 50-25 entries.

First quarter the ball went into the Vic 50m about 3 times. Croweaters all over them, second quarter outplayed as well but the SA boys couldn't put them away as the Vics put on more defensive pressure on the ball carrier.

It's half time and Silvagni has one touch I think playing at FF.

SOSOS Went to fullback in the second half and did some neat things. Worked a much taller opponent (203cm :eek:) under the ball a few times and tidied up a mess here and there.

Played on another forward in the last quarter about SOSOS' height but had a ready made AFL players build. Did pretty well but got outmarked on the lead once.

So, he played pretty well when he had the chance. Doesn't do a hell of a lot that's exciting, reads the ball early, but what he does do he makes look uncomplicated. Very reliable..

Responding in general to some posts in here and in the draft thread...

The new f/s rule is somewhat convoluted, but I think it is quite fair and sensible.

The EQ article was interesting. It valued our potential f/s higher than they will go (well, at least SOSOS) just for illustrative purposes and to try and drum up some melodrama.

Lots of people up in arms over the possible downgrading of next year's picks, but even that element is fair (if a little poorly constructed). It's only going to happen if you're bidding on multiple top-mid range players. It's unreasonable to pick up two early second rounders paying just your 3rd and 4th round picks. It's going to cost you a little more. Plus don't forget you get some speccy picks back at the end of the draft too.

It would be nice to be able to just pick up kids with your subsequent picks, and get multiple f/s like Wallis/Libba. But don't forget, we're only going to get 1-2 f/s max a year. Academy could get 3-5+ a year. And damn straight I don't want to see them pick up 5 x 2nd rounders with picks from rnd 3,4,5 and change.

Bottom line - except under extreme circumstances (bidding on multiple players or you've traded out too many picks), you're going to have the ammo to match f/s bids. AND in almost every single circumstance you're going to get a decent discount. The ONLY time it's going to cost you is under those extreme circumstances and you have a tiny amount of 'leftover points' and you're likely to finish near the bottom next year. In that case A) you should have traded in more picks knowing you had a batch of kids coming in.... and B) you can always refuse to match if it's going to screw you over.

It should work in the teams' favour every time. And when it doesn't, I'd generally say it's the team's fault, not the system....

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back