Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL isn’t AW like 190cm? Or am I grossly overestimating his height?

Either Cody is going to be tall and from all accounts he is a star already
1AW is 190. Cody still has a couple of CM more to grow I reckon. Maybe 193 by the time he gets to the draft.

Kane is a genuine imbecile.

I'm hoping she misspoke given it was live etc. Sometimes these things happen.

My concern is, though, they asked her 2 or 3 times whether it may impact this yrs draft and she said it could. So she had plenty of chance to correct herself/clear it up but confirmed it could impact now.

Genuine amateur hour stuff if so.

My concern is, though, they asked her 2 or 3 times whether it may impact this yrs draft and she said it could. So she had plenty of chance to correct herself/clear it up but confirmed it could impact now.

I keep saying... the AFL commission is only interested in their end of year bonus cheques. They aren't concerned about the welfare of the game and I suspect that they are happy with the controversy they are creating.

They'e a bunch of amateurs.

The thing I don't get is why the desire to rush it through? A big part of Kane's job is managing relationships with the clubs. Impacted clubs will be seething and unimpacted clubs will be questioning the AFLs competence. Won't be winning brownie points with anyone because nobody actually expected it to be this year. Fans and media included

And for what benefit. A few clubs pay more for players this year. In the scheme of things that won't change competitive balance, but it does kill any chance of being able to smoothly manage the change.

Even if you dismiss the fact that's it's grossly unfair, I just struggle to see the benefit to AFL house. They've done everything right to this point. Given notice, got everyone's input, no doubt put together a snazzy new system. Now they blow it?

The only logic I can draw is she wants to make a big spash? All she'd be doing in showing everyone she's a moron and validating those that suggested she was a token appointment.

Also, it's not just clubs that have players that are affected. Richmond for example stocked up on 2nd and 3rd rounders, so they could trade up with clubs that needed to match bids.

The thing I don't get is why the desire to rush it through? A big part of Kane's job is managing relationships with the clubs. Impacted clubs will be seething and unimpacted clubs will be questioning the AFLs competence. Won't be winning brownie points with anyone because nobody actually expected it to be this year. Fans and media included

And for what benefit. A few clubs pay more for players this year. In the scheme of things that won't change competitive balance, but it does kill any chance of being able to smoothly manage the change.

Even if you dismiss the fact that's it's grossly unfair, I just struggle to see the benefit to AFL house. They've done everything right to this point. Given notice, got everyone's input, no doubt put together a snazzy new system. Now they blow it?

The only logic I can draw is she wants to make a big spash? All she'd be doing in showing everyone she's a moron and validating those that suggested she was a token appointment.

Also, it's not just clubs that have players that are affected. Richmond for example stocked up on 2nd and 3rd rounders, so they could trade up with clubs that needed to match bids.
My prediction is she'll be ran out of the job by the media and fans within 18 months

I just hope the rumor about needing to retain a pick in the same round a player is bid on isn't true. It's just super dumb. What if you use your pick for that round, then a player is bid on? Do you need to find a way back into that round? What if the bid comes at the end of the first round and the club that holds that pick won't trade with you? You could have a 1st rounder at pick 4 and your player gets bid on at 18. You don't know exactly when a bid will come so you can't prepare for it.

I didn't believe this was a genuine possibility despite being promoted by some boneheads in the media, because it made no sense. But now with Kanes comments around timing I have less faith.

The points system is actually pretty good and importantly flexible. Only issue is the points allocated to picks. Early picks need to be weighted higher, and later picks need to be weighted lower. Do that and cap the amount of 1st round bids teams can match in a year (or say a rolling 3-year period), and it solves pretty much any problem anyone has with the bidding system. Anything else is just making it needlessly complicated.

I keep saying... the AFL commission is only interested in their end of year bonus cheques. They aren't concerned about the welfare of the game and I suspect that they are happy with the controversy they are creating.

They'e a bunch of amateurs.
Yep with the garaunteed media money they dont have to worry there bonuses.. The latest appointments seem to be political not practical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Removing points value from picks above 40 won't work for bids beyond 25 or 30 let alone 40+.

I don't actually mind it as a change. Needs a little extra clarification or a supplementary rule for later bids, but it's relatively straightforward.

Picks past 40 hold no points value. Therefore to match any early bids you basically need draft picks in the first two rounds. No paying for a kid at Pick 18 with a raft of late picks.

Gets murky when you consider a kid getting bid on at Pick 38 or something though, cause the club who wants to match has to have one of only two possible picks to do so. To balance that out you'd probably need something like "any bid after Pick 30 can be matched with the club's next live pick".

Is that "gameable", sure. Stock up on top 30 picks to draft some kids, then match a bid at 32 with Pick 70. But I'm less concerned about a club getting a freebie from the late second round on than I am a club getting a top 5 talent by paying a handful of third round picks. Pay a premium for premium talent, get a free hit at later prospects that are linked to your club (via father/son or Academy or NGA) - sounds reasonable.

Now, that being said. If they bring it in this year there should be outcry. Clubs traded this year's picks based on last year's system. It's all well and good to say "we warned you there might be changes", but if clubs don't know what those changes are they can't plan for them.

And a total bullshit artist....this was during the trade period last October, not 12 months ago as she stated. Appears that she's just making things up to suit her agenda.

When she gave notice clubs would have assumed it was unlikely for 2024, but not impossible (assuming no timeline was committed to either way). If the AFL had come out late last year and announced changes, even if after the trade period, I think clubs would have been annoyed but accepted it. I remember thinking that the AFL had a window between the trade period and draft where it would be viable to announce changes even if it was a little unfair.

But once the bidding system became part of the competitive balance review which was always going to run well into this year, nobody would have thought they could make changes for 2024. Hence why everyone is shocked.

But once the bidding system became part of the competitive balance review which was always going to run well into this year, nobody would have thought they could make changes for 2024. Hence why everyone is shocked.
Exactly. Because teams last trade period made preparations for this years draft. As in the Tom Morris video describes above, we traded in several 4th round picks and out of the 3rd round in order to stock points.

If they change the rule for now then that completely undermines every clubs preparations given trades now are a 24 months cycle, not 12.

It's not even a difficult concept to understand so the if the AFL do change it for this years draft it's immensely unfair and just plain unprofessional for a professional sports league. No other league in the world operates with the the frequency of rule changes/tweaks as the AFL, yet we still seem to find ways to top ourselves.

Last edited:
Exactly. Because teams last trade period made preparations for this years draft. As in the Tom Morris video describes above, we traded in several 4th round picks and out of the 3rd round in order to stock points.

If they change the rule for now then that completely undermines every clubs preparations given trades now are a 24 months cycle, not 12.

It's not even a difficult concept to understand so the if the AFL do change it for this years draft it's immensely unfair and just plain unprofessional for a professional sports league. No other league in the world operates with the the frequency of rule changes/tweaks as the AFL, yet we still seem to find ways to top ourselves.

Hard to believe a group of execs could sit around a table and think this is the logical way forward.

AFL has been running for years like a dictatorship. Probably why so many poor decisions are made. Clubs afraid or unwilling to strongly challenge or criticise AFL house. A select few just doing what they want and not feeling answerable to anybody. Everybody else just falls in line.

Hopefully the club goes hard at the AFL if they do make those changes this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back