Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly what my point was. The academies are about growing the game and outreach. Not smuggling guns
Taking the piss might be exaggerated (not what you said but continuing from there), as these players are being invited to and participating in the academies at a young age, and as such are eligible to be picked by them. That club has put the investment into them, not their fathers club, so it's not as cut and dry as "Dad played their so they're entitled to you". Ultimately the kids chose to play for that club and not their Dads - that's the kids decision and isn't an unfair one.

But to your other point, yes it should be about growing the game and outreach - and I would argue that the Suns have done an immense job of this. There has never been this talent coming out of southeast QLD before, and the somewhat steady stream of mid-late round kids from the NT has been good too. So the academy is working exactly as intended, but now the issue is other clubs aren't happy about the Suns access to this talent so the rules have to change.

Fair enough as they shouldn't have access to 4 first round picks, but there's never been 4 Gold Coast kids worth top round selections before - with another, and likely the best of the lot, in this yrs draft - so it's an undeniable success in precisely the intended way.

I come in peace, old foe.

Laura Kane is an utter disgrace, I hope our big clubs can come together on this issue and call her out for that absolute BS she sprouted in the commentary box about clubs knowing the rules would change.

Mass march and protest to AFL house, pitch forks at the ready.

She is a ****ing joke.
Unite the clans!

She may take our junk draft picks, but she will never take...our FATHER SONS!!!!

braveheart GIF

I'm hoping she misspoke given it was live etc. Sometimes these things happen.

My concern is, though, they asked her 2 or 3 times whether it may impact this yrs draft and she said it could. So she had plenty of chance to correct herself/clear it up but confirmed it could impact now.

Genuine amateur hour stuff if so.
Typical. Throw it out there and see how many clubs like it vs clubs that crack the shits. She hasn't even got the courage to make a decision herself. She has to throw the idea out there to get a reaction from the clubs and the public

Yep with the garaunteed media money they dont have to worry there bonuses.. The latest appointments seem to be political not practical.
Club needs to just tell the kids to go where they get picked for year one and then request trade to us the year later like Horne-Francis. Then we pay less a year later than what it cost them in the draft…
Clubs will soon stop bidding on F/S.

Typical. Throw it out there and see how many clubs like it vs clubs that crack the shits. She hasn't even got the courage to make a decision herself. She has to throw the idea out there to get a reaction from the clubs and the public

Clubs knew it was coming in but all expected it to start from 2025 draft, so clearly there has been conversations happening and clubs were on notice yet the notice was clearly not for this year.
She’s made it up on the spot, so this will make her the Queen of the makey uppey establishment that is the AFL

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ultimately the kids chose to play for that club and not their Dads - that's the kids decision and isn't an unfair one
Yes it is. Other clubs can't cultivate and keep talent like this. Neither can other draftees attach themselves to clubs. Blakey also chose the club his dad was at currently. So he still 'chose'.

But to your other point, yes it should be about growing the game and outreach - and I would argue that the Suns have done an immense job of this. There has never been this talent coming out of southeast QLD before, and the somewhat steady stream of mid-late round kids from the NT has been good too. So the academy is working exactly as intended, but now the issue is other clubs aren't happy about the Suns access to this talent so the rules have to change.
This I agree with. The suns endeavour by the AFL was always more about this than the on field results. It was a long term investment in growing grass roots for the league. To support 18+ clubs they needed the junior pathways up north. Gold coast have done that and have been rewarded imo. All that's required is some handling of top 10 level picks. Not a huge scale change.
Fair enough as they shouldn't have access to 4 first round picks, but there's never been 4 Gold Coast kids worth top round selections before - with another, and likely the best of the lot, in this yrs draft - so it's an undeniable success in precisely the intended way.
Yep. I also see it as flying in the face of people who think there isn't enough talent to sustain the league. I think there's more talent than there's ever been. It just takes a bit longer to develop because of the insane fitness and professionalism standards upheld now.

I also see gws as a bit of a failure like this. Not much they can do. Canterbury through Parra and Penrith and down to Campbelltown is just rugby league. I know the AFL giving them Canberra pissed off a lot in Canberra who don't like the credit for the pathways that were already setup just being taken by gws.

Agree with Vossy on 360. Carlton have earmarked the campo boys potential and invested in them for a couple of years as father sons within existing rules . Rule change within a year will change our strategy by default. Will affect all clubs to a degree. !!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with Vossy on 360. Carlton have earmarked the campo boys potential and invested in them for a couple of years as father sons within existing rules . Rule change within a year will change our strategy by default. Will affect all clubs to a degree. !!!

Will watch 360 later.

Cant see the changes happening this year. If they do, AFL will be facing a class action from clubs I reckon.

I was buoyed by Voss' last sentence on the matter. Something along the lines of the club answering to the changes "emphatically", should they happen this year. Hope this eludes to something along the lines of what you've suggested. And I hope they're letting the AFL know about it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was buoyed by Voss' last sentence on the matter. Something along the lines of the club answering to the changes "emphatically", should they happen this year. Hope this eludes to something along the lines of what you've suggested. And I hope they're letting the AFL know about it now.

Yes loved the emphatically.

I'm a petty bastard but I'd like to see them just sit out the draft in protest and tell the league to get f'd if they decide to implement the changes this year. Absolute clowns running the show.

If the AFL wants to make the sport as fair as possible then the changes Laura Kane wants to make are 100% necessary.

The only reason to have father/sons is to preserve family history. Clubs that don't have this history are greatly disadvantaged. There's also a massive luck element to this whole system. I like the history element and would like to see this retained.. but only if the mechanic is changed so clubs have to pay true market value (i.e. no discount).

The academies have to go. If the AFL wants to keep them to foster talent development in non-football states that's fine. But no team should have preferred access to any player based on their postcode. In practice, this system has led to clubs like Sydney never bottoming out, ever. Gold Coast are about to go on a tear because of it. It is a joke and has to go ASAP.

The only problem I have with what Laura Kane is trying to do is the timing.

Clubs need more notice. Trades were made in last year's draft for this one. Feel free to make the announcement now - but the rules become effective from the 2025 or 2026 draft onwards. However, I have to admit that if Carlton weren't going to be negatively impacted by the changes happening now I would care a lot less.

If Laura Kane does anything that stops the Campo and Walker boys from coming to Carlton I'll be so mad that I may post on Bigfooty about it a few times and then get over it.

That is until I see one of our father/sons playing for another club. Pictures like this make me sick.

I don't think anyone is against change being made... like you said, it's the timing. You can't just implement rule changes at the drop of a dime when clubs have spent years preparing. You need to gradually introduce them to allow the clubs to adapt.

Robbo was very strong in supporting Voss and said no way should we back down and accept this change so soon and said to take this to the AFL commission if that's what it takes.

I'm a petty bastard but I'd like to see them just sit out the draft in protest and tell the league to get f'd if they decide to implement the changes this year. Absolute clowns running the show.
Haha love this. As a petty ba***rd also I’d like to see that if the f/s changes are made. I’d then like to see them either sign with our VFL team for a season then sign them as train ons the following year

Yes, but I meant actually just not rock up to draft night at all. Leave the televised box empty, send them a fax with our selections and tell them to gagf.
Memo from AFL to Carlton: "We trust you enjoy travelling, because your draw in 2025 includes home games in China, New Zealand, New Guinea highlands, Las Vegas, and deepest darkest Africa. Kind regards, Laura."

Memo from AFL to Carlton: "We trust you enjoy travelling, because your draw in 2025 includes home games in China, New Zealand, New Guinea highlands, Las Vegas, and deepest darkest Africa. Kind regards, Laura."
I'd love to tick off a few of them on my travel bucket list... So sounds good to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back