Carlton are easily the best side outside the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

On the ladder prediction thread, almost all supporters have Carlton playing finals next year, just where do you think they will finnish next year?
I'll tell you when I know what team they'll be putting on the park.

Could be a big offseason at Carlton.

Fev has a new contract so lock up your daughters.

I thinks its quaint that you yourself predicted earlier this year that St.Kilda were a good chance for a premiership, go figure.
I did?

We've had a pretty average year yet we're closer to top 4 than Carlton are the 8 (despite your best season in 7 years).

Again, says it all really.

Good point, but its good knowing we kicked your overrated arse twice this year, I hope you dont worry bout us again next year too!!!
I am sure you would rather still be playing in September.

Personally I hope we do because as a Collingwood supporter I like beating Carlton but our coach is more a realist and he knows it is a no more meaningful game than any other against an also ran in the scheme of things.

I am sure you would rather still be playing in September.

Personally I hope we do because as a Collingwood supporter I like beating Carlton but our coach is more a realist and he knows it is a no more meaningful game than any other against an also ran in the scheme of things.

Well your coach would be the only realist at that club!

Didn't stop west coast from playing in back to back Grand Finals and winning one of them and just loosing the other.

Your post is flawed..... again
What are you talking about! WCE had a better and deeper midfield, more quality across the ground and more depth. The only thing Carlton has over what WCE had is Fevola and who the hell knows what he will produce next year with contract firmly locked away. History would suggest it’s party time for Fev.

Fair enough.

Yes.

We've had a pretty average year yet we're closer to top 4 than Carlton are the 8 (despite your best season in 7 years).

Says what?

Come on JD, you yourself as a St.Kilda supporter has experienced what Carlton supporters have just gone through, and must know the feeling of rising up once again, why put a negitave spin on everything Carlton?

Bookmarked for this time next year..lets see which armchair critics can get it right.
Regardless of who is the better of Richmond and Carlton it is just great to see 2 traditional clubs of the competition performing the way they have this year.
Making the top 8 is one thing but being rated as St Kilda have, if any team that should have one a flag in the last 10 years it should have been them.
Opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one...lets see the Tiges and the Blues make the top 8 next year would make for a huge final series.

Go Blues

Walker - Shoulder - 15 games
Jamison - Shoulder 5 games
Bower - Shoulder - 10 games
Hadley - Groin - 13 gamesHoulihan - Hip - 17 games
Bannister - Hamstring - 16 games
Betts - Hammy - 4 games
Armfield - Finger - 5 games

Not house hold names but important to our structure

Who would have thought he would be injured?? He was rarely injured at Brisbane. There was no real risk picking him up was there?:rolleyes:

Bookmarked for this time next year..lets see which armchair critics can get it right.
Regardless of who is the better of Richmond and Carlton it is just great to see 2 traditional clubs of the competition performing the way they have this year.
Making the top 8 is one thing but being rated as St Kilda have, if any team that should have one a flag in the last 10 years it should have been them.
Opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one...lets see the Tiges and the Blues make the top 8 next year would make for a huge final series.

Go Blues

The Blues will be a very competitive side(top 4), I have no doubt. Whether they succeed at the highest level depends on the players outside of the Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Stevens, Waite, Kruezer etc.... At this stage they have players who are too far from the mark. Even teams win flags.

I don't think Tigers have the cattle. Couldn't agree more regarding Stkilda, they missed their window and may have to wait a long, long time. Losing to Sydney in the '05 prelim was very poor. The bottom line with the Saints was a situation that Carlton could follow... lost of talent, no team heart.

Fev has a new contract so lock up your daughters.

I did?

Ah yes... but further from a premiership than Carlton...:):thumbsu:

What are you talking about! WCE had a better and deeper midfield, more quality across the ground and more depth. The only thing Carlton has over what WCE had is Fevola and who the hell knows what he will produce next year with contract firmly locked away. History would suggest it’s party time for Fev.

"History suggests...

You and all the other idiots who constantly spit out this bullshit might want to have a look at the history you are quoting. Fev's head was on the chopping block in '02...came out in 2003 and kicked 63 goals for the season.

Fev's first major contract of his career was during 2005 - a year in which he kicked 59 goals. The next season (2006 - first year of contract), he had his best season prior to 2008 kicking 84 goals.

Would be nice if what you posted had a semblance of fact to it. :thumbsu:

The Blues will be a very competitive side(top 4), I have no doubt. Whether they succeed at the highest level depends on the players outside of the Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Stevens, Waite, Kruezer etc.... At this stage they have players who are too far from the mark. Even teams win flags.

I don't think Tigers have the cattle. Couldn't agree more regarding Stkilda, they missed their window and may have to wait a long, long time. Losing to Sydney in the '05 prelim was very poor. The bottom line with the Saints was a situation that Carlton could follow... lost of talent, no team heart.

The Saints massively successful history should help them overcome their latest wasted decade.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they've defated 3 of the 8 finals bound teams - including 2 against Collingwood, as well as beating/looking like winning 3/4 interstate trips

Gibbs, Murphy and Kruezuer are only going to get better next year

Oh.... beating a massive 3 of the top 8 teams!! Wow. What an effort. The Lions beat 5 of the top 8 teams, and get the chance to make that 6 teams this week. That'll be DOUBLE the number of finals teams that these champion Blues beat this year... Oh and before you start quoting the fact that they beat us the other day, well we beat them this year, too. ;)

Oh.... beating a massive 3 of the top 8 teams!! Wow. What an effort. The Lions beat 5 of the top 8 teams, and get the chance to make that 6 teams this week. That'll be DOUBLE the number of finals teams that these champion Blues beat this year... Oh and before you start quoting the fact that they beat us the other day, well we beat them this year, too. ;)

lost to Adelaide by 6 points in a game where we outplayed them and should have won by 4 goals, lost by 3 points to Sydney again we should have won and could very well cause the upset of the year against Hawthorn this week. not a bad effort for the youngest team going around. Plenty to be proud of at CFC and some serious upside for 2009.:) Cant say that Brisbane supporters could be anywhere near happy with their year or would, on current form, suggest that they would worry any teams if they had made the finals

lost to Adelaide by 6 points in a game where we outplayed them and should have won by 4 goals, lost by 3 points to Sydney again we should have won

Oh don't open Pandora's box there.... we were the KINGS of losing games we should've won. Extreme irony that you use that as an argument. :D

not a bad effort for the youngest team going around.

I thought we were talking about Carlton, not Melbourne?

Cant say that Brisbane supporters could be anywhere near happy with their year or would, on current form, suggest that they would worry any teams if they had made the finals

Of COURSE we're not happy!! And yet, we're still above you, and you guys ARE happy!! Does that alone not show you who the better side is? We finished ABOVE you in a bad year!

Carlton supporters.... it's like they wipe your brains when they swipe your membership card.

BEST team outside the eight? What a laugh. With the number of ordinary teams around at the moment, if you're not IN the 8, you're not good. I can't remember a time since the AFL was formed in 1990 when there were so many crap sides.

cant believe how cocky Hawthorn supporters are for a team that has won nothing so far and won't do so, Geelong are way ahead of them and that wont change for the next few years then we'll take their place in ensuring Hawthorn don't win a premiership. Really looking forward to this weeks game, could be very embarrassing for the Hawks.

Oh don't open Pandora's box there.... we were the KINGS of losing games we should've won. Extreme irony that you use that as an argument. :D

I thought we were talking about Carlton, not Melbourne?

Of COURSE we're not happy!! And yet, we're still above you, and you guys ARE happy!! Does that alone not show you who the better side is? We finished ABOVE you in a bad year!

Carlton supporters.... it's like they wipe your brains when they swipe your membership card.

Simple reason why we're happy really, we're on the way up with young champions with real heart who never say die who will only improve and you are heading in the other direction with an aging list and yesterdays coach. But i think you already know this.

btw, theres still a round to go, so you have not finished above us

Simple reason why we're happy really, we're on the way up with young champions who will only improve and you are heading in the other direction with an aging list and yesterdays coach. But i think you already know this.

Aging list....:rolleyes:

Everybody drags this one out, without ACTUALLY knowing if it's true:

Players who are or have been in our starting 22 this year, with ages:

Adcock 22
Begley 21
Brennan 24
Clark 20
Clouston 21
Collier 19
Corrie 24
Dalziell 21
Hanley 19
Hawksley 19
Henderson 18
Hooper 20
Leuenberger 20
Macdonald 23
Merrett 23
Moody 22
Patfull 23
Polkinghorne 19
Proud 19
Rischitelli 22
Roe 24
Sherman 21
Stiller 22

That's 23 players who've played this year, for the Lions, aged 24 and under. Aging team? :rolleyes: Love exposing fallacies from those who haven't done their research.....

Yesterday's coach....? That doesn't even mean anything. If you think Ratten is a better coach than Matthews then you're extraordinarily deluded.

Aging list....:rolleyes:

Everybody drags this one out, without ACTUALLY knowing if it's true:

Players who are or have been in our starting 22 this year, with ages:

Adcock 22
Begley 21
Brennan 24
Clark 20
Clouston 21
Collier 19
Corrie 24
Dalziell 21
Hanley 19
Hawksley 19
Henderson 18
Hooper 20
Leuenberger 20
Macdonald 23
Merrett 23
Moody 22
Patfull 23
Polkinghorne 19
Proud 19
Rischitelli 22
Roe 24
Sherman 21
Stiller 22

That's 23 players who've played this year, for the Lions, aged 24 and under. Aging team? :rolleyes: Love exposing fallacies from those who haven't done their research.....

Yesterday's coach....? That doesn't even mean anything. If you think Ratten is a better coach than Matthews then you're extraordinarily deluded.

1. my comment was a comparitive one, our list is the younger than Brisbanes by a fair way
2. Your match winners are all older players who will not improve unlike Carlton's who have plenty of upside

1. my comment was a comparitive one, our list is the younger than Brisbanes by a fair way
2. Your match winners are all older players who will not improve unlike Carlton's who have plenty of upside

Actually, no, it wasn't comparative, it was general.

Every list, BTW, is aging, that's kind of unavoidable, but one of the many fallacies about the Lions is that we have an old list.

Not true. We have some older stars in the team, like Brown, Black, Power, Bradshaw.... but rest assured there's rising stars in there too.;)

i reckon carlton had a great run with injuries this year. judd (20 games out of 21), fevola (21), stevens (21), murphy (21), carazzo (21), gibbs (20), simpson (20), scotland (21), waite (20), thornton (18), fisher (20), cloke (19), betts (18), kreuzer (19), jamison (16)

Fevola kicks close to a 100 and carlton still don't make the 8.

Obviously some of the youngsters will improve but they couldn't have asked for more things to go right this year and still finished 11th.

With a better run of luck and injuries i think its reasonable to suggest Essendon could do better.

i reckon carlton had a great run with injuries this year. judd (20 games out of 21), fevola (21), stevens (21), murphy (21), carazzo (21), gibbs (20), simpson (20), scotland (21), waite (20), thornton (18), fisher (20), cloke (19), betts (18), kreuzer (19), jamison (16)

Fevola kicks close to a 100 and carlton still don't make the 8.

Obviously some of the youngsters will improve but they couldn't have asked for more things to go right this year and still finished 11th.

With a better run of luck and injuries i think its reasonable to suggest Essendon could do better.

i agree with this.

they;ll go backwards next year

i agree with this.

they;ll go backwards next year

Carlton supporters are the only ones who actually think they've got any promise. They had a soft draw (only playing Hawthorn for the first time in Round 22!!!!!) and had a miraculous run of injuries, Fev played out of his skin (but was dominated by the Lions, they worked him out, next year Fev will be a dinosaur). Look for another bottom 4 finish for them next year, and then sit back and watch as they eat their own yet again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are easily the best side outside the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back