Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a sneaky conspiracy theory re Cripps and his getting off the suspension.

The theory is that the AFL know that Cripps will be very high up in the Brownlow votes, to the point of winning it, and didn't want the furore that would follow a player losing a Brownlow over an incident like that.

When I say know I mean KNOW, not suspect or think it's likely.

The theory is that the AFL know that Cripps will be very high up in the Brownlow votes, to the point of winning it, and didn't want the furore that would follow a player losing a Brownlow over an incident like that.

So you think the AFL unnecessarily had the MRO charge Cripps, and then have the prosecution botch the case (because they didn't have a case) at the Tribunal, and the Tribunal still find Cripps guilty, just so they could have the Appeal embarrass the AFL to get the predetermined outcome?

Happy Excuse Me GIF

I don't think his year was Brownlow-worthy anyway, to be honest. Would be very surprised if he finished top 3, and could easily see him outside the top 5.

Started well, disappeared, finished OK.

So you think the AFL unnecessarily had the MRO charge Cripps, and then have the prosecution botch the case (because they didn't have a case) at the Tribunal, and the Tribunal still find Cripps guilty, just so they could have the Appeal embarrass the AFL to get the predetermined outcome?

Happy Excuse Me GIF
I think you've taken it a little more seriously than it was meant to be.

There's a reason I started if off with it's conspiracy theory...

I don't think his year was Brownlow-worthy anyway, to be honest. Would be very surprised if he finished top 3, and could easily see him outside the top 5.

Started well, disappeared, finished OK.
That's how I think it'd go as well, but I've seen 2 or 3 of the media award things have Cripps as the winner so there's obviously somehow a weight of votes that fall his way.

His first 6 or 7 games it's not unreasonable to suggest he gets 3 votes in just about every game, so for arguments sake say he's on 18 votes after 7 rounds. Of the next 15 games he probably only needs to get 10 votes to be a very realistic shot of winning, and in the back 5 games he probably had a bog or 2 again. Depends how they vote though, v Collingwood for example he was huge but we lost so maybe doesn't get votes etc.

If they're generous and throw a 1 voter in a handful of games through the middle with 1 or 2 late 2 or 3 vote games and he's right there in the heat of it all.

Like I said in the first sentence though I agree with your assessment and it aligns with my thoughts. I'm just suggesting that all it takes really is a couple of generous vote games and he's right in the heat of the hunt, and umpires often throw up weird votes for players they like or don't like. Like that triple m count shows, he only got 27 votes and won, which with his start to the year isn't outlandish, though is generous. The last few years have had Brownlow winners in the 30s though so it'd be a low count for a winner these days.

Happy Excuse Me GIF

I once knew an old couple that operated a Mom and Pop store in a local neighborhood, they established trust for 48 years, and then they ran off with everyone’s sneakers. Never to be seen or heard from again.

True story.

I doubt very much Cripps would be getting any votes in the last two rounds regardless of how well he played.

;)
Agree, but there would have to be serious questions asked if he doesn't get votes in the last game.

We are told that umpires don't have biases but for Cripps not to get a vote in the last game would be conclusive proof that they did. It would be a very bad look for the afl.

I once knew an old couple that operated a Mom and Pop store in a local neighborhood, they established trust for 48 years, and then they ran off with everyone’s sneakers. Never to be seen or heard from again.

True story.
strange beck bennett GIF by Saturday Night Live

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, but there would have to be serious questions asked if he doesn't get votes in the last game.

We are told that umpires don't have biases but for Cripps not to get a vote in the last game would be conclusive proof that they did. It would be a very bad look for the afl.

Umpire John Russo says hello.

Cuningham burning Saad off is a rare sight, Saad is much improved but still, who in our current midfield could do that, Walsh maybe?
Nobody except Cuningham/Honey and maybe McKay/Boyd have anywhere near enough top end speed to match/burn off Saad. Saad is crazy fast. DC has serious X factor and if he puts it together I'll be extremely happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back