Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Cottrell, Hewett, Boyd, Fogarty.

“Lachie Fogarty and Matt Cottrell – I love what Cottrell said a week ago on radio, ‘people don’t come to the footy to watch me’. He runs up and back, helps defend transition and helps get them through transition. He’s not there to be the match-winner, he’s a role player. Lachie Fogarty is the same.

“Then there’s Jordan Boyd. He’s the seventh best kick in the competition. When you’re watching this guy, you might be a bit surprised by this guy, but he takes on kicks, he wants to change angles and be aggressive with ball in hand and more often than not he pulls off those kicks, so he’s been a huge addition.

This is interesting. I like listening to Champion Data but the comments on Fogarty & Cottrell seem to be opinion. No facts mentioned? My comment is can we win a flag with Two forwards purely focussed on defence? Although Fogarty is 4th in the AFL for goal assists.

The Boyd comments I support. Thought he was excellent at the weekend and gives us so much run from defence and uses it so well. We were one of the worst sides creating scores from defence last year and Boyd has really helped us so far

Hewett, well, he has being doing his role perfectly since arriving

This is interesting. I like listening to Champion Data but the comments on Fogarty & Cottrell seem to be opinion. No facts mentioned? My comment is can we win a flag with Two forwards purely focussed on defence? Although Fogarty is 4th in the AFL for goal assists.

The Boyd comments I support. Thought he was excellent at the weekend and gives us so much run from defence and uses it so well. We were one of the worst sides creating scores from defence last year and Boyd has really helped us so far

Fogarty first in the comp for inside 50 tackles. 2 goal assists each game is fantastic - if he can manage 1-2 that'll be huge. Also finding a decent amount of the footy and very clean with ball in hand.

We're much more even across the board. Our disposal count has stayed the same but no longer are 3 or 4 picking up 28+ touches. With such even contribution, it stands to reason that players like Cottrell can have more of a defensive focus. Hard to gauge on the TV, and while I tried to look for him at Marvel, was a bit hard from my vantage on level 3. Would like to see him continue to threaten and kick his 1 goal a week.

Fogarty first in the comp for inside 50 tackles. 2 goal assists each game is fantastic - if he can manage 1-2 that'll be huge. Also finding a decent amount of the footy and very clean with ball in hand.

We're much more even across the board. Our disposal count has stayed the same but no longer are 3 or 4 picking up 28+ touches. With such even contribution, it stands to reason that players like Cottrell can have more of a defensive focus. Hard to gauge on the TV, and while I tried to look for him at Marvel, was a bit hard from my vantage on level 3. Would like to see him continue to threaten and kick his 1 goal a week.

We are doing well and I see lots of improvement to come

Only just got Weitering back and I see lots of improvement in Williams Hollands Fantasia Durdin Cottrell etc and still have Walsh Motlop Martin to come back

Hewett is a different beast when fit and firing as is our team, beginning of last season when he broke his hand he was just going. He does a lot of grunt work, is not flashy but his put team first attitude is brilliant, he can negate and accumulate at the same time.

Boyd, tough and doesn't leave anything out on the field, defence first attitude but with ball in hand, he is something special.

Fog same attitude as Boyd, but sometimes needs to take the shot on goal instead of the extra handball, he is doing everything right but has to aim for at least a goal a game.

Cottrell, great run with player and negates running half backs, but he has to realise there is more to him. He needs to realise he is better than he believes, he is tough fast and needs to hurt opposition on the transition out of defence.

Great turnaround from Fog, didn't think he would last on the list, but now integral to team structure

Cottrell has continued to improve from the time Voss walked in the door. Should never be judged by goals or touches as the cover/zoning he provides is invaluable

Boyd has been a lock for me, for some time. Can play lockdown or rebound and bites tough kicks regularly

Hewett is the smartest player on our list, great reader and understands momentum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't they mention that fogarty was #1 in the AFL for tackles inside forward 50?

Cotts pretty much runs the most k's for our team week in week out. Sometimes it's unrewarded (and unnoticed) running. Not mentioned in the article but shown in the telstra tracker numbers on here most weeks.

Yep the "injury setback" is Jack Martin - we can breathe

Check again in two years, then we'll challenge for the 'best list'. We still have too many players who can't get on the park and also lack a bit of class 'outside'. We also lack some options if injuries strike.

Anyway, a 'best list' is not the same as a best 23 (or whatever it is, these days). 'Best lists' sometimes don't win premierships because they aren't in a "premiership window" stage in their development, so it's hard to judge.

Last edited:
So Der Wayne rates GWS as best list in afl with Dees at 2 and lions at 3.

Interesting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
For what it’s worth, I’d agree with Dwayne that GWS have the best list in the league. But by no means does that mean we can’t be the better side.

Melbourne… a good list. But those key position forward holes mean our list is better.

The Lions have key onball weaknesses that have been covered over by their Gabba dominance.

I’d have us right up there on best lists. But I don’t think it matters if we are not the best, so long as we are the best team.

So Der Wayne rates GWS as best list in afl with Dees at 2 and lions at 3.

Interesting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hard to argue, at this level, it all comes down to who is mentally switched on, on the day. Stats may differentiate between the sides, but the closeness of last years finals, show that on the day, any of those sides are capable of winning and a touch of luck, doesn't go astray either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back