Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

7 out of the last 9 weeks the defence has not been in “all sorts”, it’s been good to excellent.
We had 2 bad weeks, 6 bad quarters across GWS and Dogs
North it was good considering how flipping shit our pressure was up the field in the first half

It needs to get back to pre GWS second quarter I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wondering where the Richmond guys ranked with their chaos ball between 17-20

Always had concerns with Walsh pumping long, Kennedy I don't worry about, normally puts it to advantage
Walsh has a recent uncanny knack of putting it to the disadvantage of his teammates, even when lowering the eyes.

Move this to another thread if this doesn’t belong in here. Im not always someone who gets sucked into champion data stats, but I recommend listening to Daniel Hoyne on Sportsday talking about our turnover game.

For those wondering, 17 of the last 18 premiers have been top 3 in the turnover game. He says Carlton are second, only 4 points behind Sydney, and we are one of the best teams at scoring off turnover, and comfortably the hardest to score against off turnover.

Whether you chose to take any stock in it is up to you, but the top 4 in the turnover game are currently Sydney, Carlton, Brisbane and Freo. The current top 4 in that order. Pretty remarkable listening

If we could just fix our defensive scores from stoppage we’d be extremely hard to beat.

If we could fix both offensive and defensive scores from stoppage like last year we’d be unbeatable

Turnover game is important but in big finals it’s generally a brutal stoppage ascendancy that wins you the game.

WHERE THE BLUES LIKELY FINISH IF THEY...

Win five: 2nd, plays Brisbane (MCG) in qualifying final
Win four: 2nd-3rd, plays Brisbane (MCG/Gabba) in qualifying final
Win three: 4th, plays Sydney (SCG) in qualifying final
Win two: 7th, plays Western Bulldogs (Marvel Stadium) in elimination final
Win one:
8th-9th, plays Hawthorn (MCG) in elimination final if Hawthorn beats GWS in round 21 OR if their win comes against Port Adelaide in round 20, misses finals if GWS beats Hawthorn AND they lose to Port Adelaide in round 20
Win none: 10th-12th, misses finals
The AFL advised they don't play finals at Marvel anymore.

To be fair, to the eye test Walsh isn't a great kick in general. Very few of his kicks inside 50 are kicked to any sort of advantage. I don't think he has played many "impactful" games this year, to be honest. Cripps on the other hand has been had most impactful I can remember.
His best games were when he was handballing it more. Giving it off to better kicks

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we could just fix our defensive scores from stoppage we’d be extremely hard to beat.

If we could fix both offensive and defensive scores from stoppage like last year we’d be unbeatable

Turnover game is important but in big finals it’s generally a brutal stoppage ascendancy that wins you the game.

Yeah, well that is just your opinion, because highest score (as in other forms of football and unlike the game of golf, for instance) always, always, always wins.

That boils down to good kicking equating to good football, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listened to Champion Data talk about the worst kicks into the F50. Kennedy was 1 and Walsh was 5th in the league. We need to improve that aspect.
It's long been an issue for Walsh. He has a real issue in that he so often just kicks the ball as hard as he can. Love his support running and link work, also love work in and around the contest, but love both more when he hanballs it out instead of being the kicker.

He's not a bad kick I think it's all decision making, he doesn't lower his eyes and does just blaze. He plays constantly on red line and I think that comes into his kicking but he really needs to have some composure when he's the kicker.

As for Kennedy, I don't think it's a big surprise. Maybe surprise he's no.1 worst in the comp, but I don't think he's ever been confused for a highly skilled player. Walsh though, is and should be a lot better than his ranking shows.

Listened to Champion Data talk about the worst kicks into the F50. Kennedy was 1 and Walsh was 5th in the league. We need to improve that aspect.
They are still both terrific players, with other aspects of their games being so much better. Someone has to come first, someone has to come fifth, but really. They are just splitting hairs.

Interesting considering they own Marvel, you think they'd want to drive some revenue from it.

Is is due to a contractual agreement with the MCG?
I believe so, it’s part of the deal with the MCC. They’d also want to maximise the crowds and revenue from allowing more people to attend at the G.

I believe so, it’s part of the deal with the MCC. They’d also want to maximise the crowds and revenue from allowing more people to attend at the G.
Attendence would depend on the teams, an Elimination final between the Dogs & St Kilda would be fine to have a Marvel for instance - and they'd both probably prefer that as it's their home ground which they both play better at.

Kingy on 360 said some very true things about our forward line.
How Owies gets in the drop zone for his chance to score goals but at detriment to Charlie. And how the forwards often block for H bit not Charlie, except for Cotters helping when he can.
My question is with 2 of the very best forwards plus Martin and a very food supporting cast, why do we not have the very best forward line coach?
Money? Make room!!!!
Everyone will want to coach at Carlton now we have hit our stride. We need to get someone with nouse and elite experience as a forward.
Don't we???

Kingy on 360 said some very true things about our forward line.
How Owies gets in the drop zone for his chance to score goals but at detriment to Charlie. And how the forwards often block for H bit not Charlie, except for Cotters helping when he can.
My question is with 2 of the very best forwards plus Martin and a very food supporting cast, why do we not have the very best forward line coach?
Money? Make room!!!!
Everyone will want to coach at Carlton now we have hit our stride. We need to get someone with nouse and elite experience as a forward.
Don't we???

Jordan Russell is our forwards coach 🐴

Attendence would depend on the teams, an Elimination final between the Dogs & St Kilda would be fine to have a Marvel for instance - and they'd both probably prefer that as it's their home ground which they both play better at.

There would be way more than 50,000 attending a bulldogs vs. saints final.

St Kilda vs GWS drew 68,645 people during their elimination final last year. I suspect also that lots of neutrals attend finals as they enjoy the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back