Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t doubt what you’re saying. The upside is that Wright is pretty ruthless in identifying the weak links in the chain and removing them. I think he could well make an excellent CEO. Cook also is/was one. Time will tell though as it’s unchartered territory for Wrighty.
Cook took time to establish a dynasty at Geelong, him staying for just a few years wasn't going to do all that much anyway, despite the blind optimism from some supporters.

Cook took time to establish a dynasty at Geelong, him staying for just a few years wasn't going to do all that much anyway, despite the blind optimism from some supporters.
I know blind optimism well…

I’m just perplexed as to why he’s shuffling out so early in his tenure given we know top-down structural improvement takes time.

I’m just perplexed as to why he’s shuffling out so early in his tenure given we know top-down structural improvement takes time.
Was Cook only ever going to stay for a couple of years?

Maybe after working at an elite organisation like Geelong, he landed at Carlton, found out what it was like, and thought 'I don't need this shite....'

Are you claiming Cox is better? You guys come up with the most ridiculous arguments lol. Who cares? This proves nothing about Cox's footballing ability. Plenty of ordinary footballers are Premiership players. Let's compare their careers.
Cox is clearly the better finals player. You can be the best player of all time in the home and away games but if you consistently don't perform in finals when it counts you ain't worth shit.
Curnow is a Coleman medal winning home and away player who ain't worth shit when it really counts.

Cox is clearly the better finals player. You can be the best player of all time in the home and away games but if you consistently don't perform in finals when it counts you ain't worth shit.
Curnow is a Coleman medal winning home and away player who ain't worth shit when it really counts.
yet, your club would be falling over itself to sign him if he was available to them lol

Was Cook only ever going to stay for a couple of years?

Maybe after working at an elite organisation like Geelong, he landed at Carlton, found out what it was like, and thought 'I don't need this shite....'
This was always the plan for Cook, in fact he stayed on one year longer than was originally agreed upon.

Because it was the plan all along and he's in his 70s lol

He has put certain structures in place, I think that he has actually done a lot, he also held the club together during that bad run in 23.

Cox has got it done on the big stage.

Premiership Medal and 3 goals in a quarter in Finals - twice.

Curnow and Harry yet to get it done on the big stage.

I'm not sure Mason would swap his Premiership Medal or Finals performances for a Coleman Medal.
Mason would be thankful that he ever got one of those for a person of his ability.

Not too much discussion, though you missed the above singular post. If someone as highly regarded as Cook can't turn the titanic around then Wright as a newbie CEO will have his work cut out for him.
You know nothing of what you're speaking of if you think he had no effect on Carlton, imo he's done a huge job for the club.

Not too much discussion, though you missed the above singular post. If someone as highly regarded as Cook can't turn the titanic around then Wright as a newbie CEO will have his work cut out for him.
I'd back Wright in to pick up the caper quickly, he's a shrewd operator.

But the work of a CEO is very different to a footy administrator and Carlton already had one of the best in the business.

Feels like a sideways step at best and an own goal at worst...

Proof will be in the pudding. Could well be a stroke of genius, or not. Time will tell.
I think Cook's tenure was always going to be 3-5 years maximum and one of the key goals was for him to help identify/train his successor. There's no doubt in my mind that Cook has overseen a significant improvement at Carlton. While it hasn't resulted in premierships as yet, you need to consider where we were before Sayers/Cook arrived. Even the most staunch Carlton fan would concede that we were a rabble back then and even the most staunch Collingwood fan would concede that we're a solid club these days. That's a result of Cook's work at Carlton.

I know Wright hasn't had the complete experience of the CEO role, but at clubs like Collingwood/Carlton, if you have on-field success, the business side will tend to take care of itself. We're in a pretty strong position commercially, so Wright's task is to sort out the football side of things. This is why I don't think the appointment will be an own goal. I believe he's starting on Monday and will be giving his input on our strategy for the trade period. Hopefully he'll have a massive amount of input into the football department over the next 12 months during the handover and find the weak links in the chain as you say.

Mason would be thankful that he ever got one of those for a person of his ability.
He's very unlucky not to have two premiership medallions, and he was a massive reason why we had a chance to win it in 2018.

Let's see if Curnow can have a similar influence on Carlton's premiership chances...

He's very unlucky not to have two premiership medallions, and he was a massive reason why we had a chance to win it in 2018.

Let's see if Curnow can have a similar influence on Carlton's premiership chances...
You guys are far too one eyed for your own good, seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came for a look in this thread for the first time since the season ended….
Pies supporters trying to compare mason cox with Charlie curnow? **** me. How dumb can you be.

Came for a look in this thread for the first time since the season ended….
Pies supporters trying to compare mason cox with Charlie curnow? **** me. How dumb can you be.
One has performed in Finals and has a Premiership Medal.

The other is Charlie Curnow.

You're right, there is no comparison.

We won't improve as long as Brad Lloyd is head of football. He was primarily responsible for the mismanagement of our injured players, Curnow in particular. How do I know this? Check out what he said before the Hawthorn game.
There's been a hint if this eg during the "sack Voss frenzy" last year (when it was pretty clear even to an ignoramus like me he was fine and the problems were elsewhere).

Cripps is your top asset and has played injured many times, it's wasteful. Injuries and to an extent fitness have been an issue.

This is the sort of area Wright has had an impact for us, not saying he's some voodoo witchdoctor but has a strong bs/risk detector. If you're fitness guy is a phony he'll get the arse.

The bs thing is maybe why Wright clashed with Kelly. Now Kelly isn't a phony (at least not proven one way or the other yet) but he's a Big Ego like Eddie, and there's a certain amount of blather that goes with that.

Wright does need clear air and soldiers playing their roles. If you back him, the rest will follow.

You must be one of those dumb ones …
I guess Percy Jones is better than Peter Moore then…
No one is saying Cox is a better home and away player than Curnow. You'd have to be really thick to think that is what has been said.
I'll say it slowly for you....
1. Mason Cox is CLEARLY a better FINALS player than Charlie Curnow.
2. Finals games are more important than home and away games.
3 Performance in finals is more important than performance in home and away games.
4. Players who don't perform in finals are useless when it comes to winning a flag.
5. Winning a flag is what it's all about.

Have a think about it and clearly state your reasons for disagreeing with the above assertions.

Mason cox is shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back