Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean we had an AA half back and we didn’t even make the 8?

What’s the theory behind getting Houston to launch us into contention then?
He's only a flanker, getting a top 3 pick in a super draft we can fix a bigger hole.

He's only a flanker, getting a top 3 pick in a super draft we can fix a bigger hole.

It’s nuts these blokes don’t get it.

If there was a dual AA small fwd or kpd available that we could afford, then yes, we would have gone all out to get them.

2x 1st rounders for a hbf though? Just no. We have Saad, Newman, McGovern, Docherty, Boyd who can play that role. They’re not as good individually but they’re more than capable of playing the role to the level required.

Last thing we need is more AA superstars to rely on.

It’s nuts these blokes don’t get it.

If there was a dual AA small fwd or kpd available that we could afford, then yes, we would have gone all out to get them.

2x 1st rounders for a hbf though? Just no. We have Saad, Newman, McGovern, Docherty, Boyd who can play that role. They’re not as good individually but they’re more than capable of playing the role to the level required.

Last thing we need is more AA superstars to rely on.
The Wobbles don't get the draft at all, they'll be busy scouring the FA lists for their next superstar.

You mean we had an AA half back and we didn’t even make the 8?

What’s the theory behind getting Houston to launch us into contention then?
You also had the Coleman Medalist and Brownlow medalist in 2022.

Plenty of individual awards go to Carlton's top talent.

Pity it is a team game.

The theory behind adding Houston, is you need lots of quality senior talent to win a flag.

Carlton need more qaulity senior help for guys like Cripps, but decided to get rid of their best clubman all go all in on a pick 3.

You also had the Coleman Medalist and Brownlow medalist in 2022.

Plenty of individual awards go to Carlton's top talent.

Pity it is a team game.

The theory behind adding Houston, is you need lots of quality senior talent to win a flag.

Carlton need more qaulity senior help for guys like Cripps, but decided to get rid of their best clubman all go all in on a pick 3.

You’re contradicting yourself.

You can’t have it both ways & say Carlton are too reliant on their individual talent, then go on to say the solution is to recruit more superstars.

Tying yourself in knots.

And how many top 10 draft picks have you had in the last 30 years? Where has that gotten you? Zero grand final appearences.
It's got us ahead of the Pies this year.

We didn't want him bad enough sounds better, even when we had 12 &14 if they had've really wanted him they would've made a play but they didn't.
In all seriousness. If I was Carlton I would have given 12 and F1 for Houston. Kept Owies or taken a second rounder for him and got a second rounder for Kennedy.
Second rounders are valuable in a draft like this.

So you could have had:
Houston plus
Pick 14 plus three second rounders this year and still had a second rounder next year.

What you got:
Pick 3 and no second rounder next year.

I know what I'd prefer.

Better hope it's not another Paddy Dow. All eggs are in one basket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness. If I was Carlton I would have given 12 and F1 for Houston. Kept Owies or taken a second rounder for him and got a second rounder for Kennedy.
Second rounders are valuable in a draft like this.

So you could have had:
Houston plus
Pick 14 plus three second rounders this year and still had a second rounder next year.

What you got:
Pick 3 and no second rounder next year.

I know what I'd prefer.

Better hope it's not another Paddy Dow. All eggs are in one basket.
I am hoping it's not another Dow, now tell me who do you think the Dow is out of the potential top 4 draftees this year. They all look good as Dow did in his year.

The Wobbles don't get the draft at all, they'll be busy scouring the FA lists for their next superstar.
You’re contradicting yourself.

You can’t have it both ways & say Carlton are too reliant on their individual talent, then go on to say the solution is to recruit more superstars.

Tying yourself in knots.
Herp derp

Carlton need more quality senior talent.

Houston is a quality senior talent.

They aint making the jump from 5-10 team to a premiership contender by just expecting Cripps to do even more.

I am hoping it's not another Dow, now tell me who do you think the Dow is out of the potential top 4 draftees this year. They all look good as Dow did in his year.
Exactly. Thats the lottery of trying to project junior footballers into AFL level players.
But your draft guy obviously thinks there's certain gold in the top 3 this year.

Exactly. Thats the lottery of trying to project junior footballers into AFL level players.
But your draft guy obviously thinks there's certain gold in the top 3 this year.
Yep they must have their eye on one of them

Herp derp

They aint making the jump from 5-10 team to a premiership contender by just expecting Cripps to do even more.
You don't get it, we don't need much.

Herp derp

What does ‘senior talent’ even mean? You’re just waffling on.

You said it yourself, it’s a team game and this group has notched up enough individual accolades.

It’s widely noted and accepted that Carlton rely on their top 10 too much. We need to round out the squad to make it more balanced. We need good quality role players, ideally kids who can slot in and make an impact. Houston is a superstar and just another player the rest of the comp can point at & say ‘Carlton rely on him too much’.

If you want to criticise the trading of 2 picks for pick 3 then fine, but selling the farm for Houston would’ve been a shit move.

I seriously did not realise how bad this side is. At least 16 of that team are not up to the high pressure of winning a Preliminary final or Grand Final and that is not including Curnow who is a proven finals flop. Blues are in for pain and more pain.

1729295475729.png

The Blues always know what they're doing, what could go wrong? 😆
Yep another season playing finals and now we're ready to make a serious tilt at a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back