Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't see the game and having a quick scan omw home from pub trivia. Plenty saying the negatives include injury but no one saying who was injured, who has been smited (smote?) by the injury gods now?

Stats are right. It's just that his misses are glaring as a defender.

Yeah agree. Immediate punishment of backline clangers does amplify them significantly. Apart from his kicking, I did appreciate Doc’s aerial work. Got a few spoils and contested a fair few marks. Always a bit frightening with his knee history to see him leaping in traffic, but great signs that he trusts his knee enough to jump.

Tackles inside 50 - 15 to 5 our way. Huge positive.

McDonald has to get our last list spot based on this game.

Zac Williams is a gun and Adam Saad just changes the way we play.

Fisher is at his absolute best.

JSOS must play every week.

Walsh is a gun.

Murph's new role suits our game nicely.

Setters is awesome.

Jack Martin needs to do more.

Lochie O'Brien really good in the time he played. I think the MC sees him outside the 22 but he should be competing with Cunners and Martin for a bench spot.

Gibbons didn't get on the ground again. Reckon he is seen as a walk up start by the coach. Competing with Fogarty for a small mid spot and I thought Fog came into the game but Gibbons offers more at this stage.

Dow looking good again. Has earned himself a round 1 start.
If we start playing consistent, high pressure footy inside our F50, we might actually start getting rewarded for some of those 15 tackles too.

We need a season free of key injuries to make the eight. I think we have a big problem if we lose any of Cripps, Weitering, Williams, Jones or McKay.
We need a Brisbane style run on the injury front. 2-3 years with little to no significant ones and a chance to cement a top 16-18 players, with 6-8 fringe ones rotating in and out and just a chance for them to gel.

Where the **** is gibbons??? Fogarty can **** off - useless. Cripps and do cherry gave zero ****s today. Plowman - did he even play? It’s a complicated job predicting what will happen in 2020 off a preseason game. Ignoring the above I think carlton smashed st kilda. They only score off mistake and rush everything. Saints are a shit club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* **** and balls

Weitering looked nasty. Was certain it was a knee, but the club are saying corked hip. Wasn’t on crutches or in a brace after the game so likely not a knee which is a HUGE relief.
Newnes had a Saints player land on his foot and he badly sprained his ankle. Might struggle to get up for R1.
H had 2 separate tweaks of his ankle, likely made worse by the niggle going in. Came off at QT and didn’t come back.

Feel like Ed was valuable in the fourth when his tank gave him an edge over tiring players, but early on he looked too slow for the helter-skelter game that the stand rule is encouraging.

Will be interesting to see if teams slow things down as they adjust this year, which would improbe Ed's suitability. If it's this quick all the time he might be a bit of a liability.

I understand what you're saying, but I say it every year. Ed get's better the longer the season goes, always takes him 4 - 5 games into the season before you see him shine. I think that could come earlier because as we saw tonight, players are going to gas faster.

id be happy if plowmen and Curnow never played another game for us. I would much rather give games to Stocker obrien dow than play them two
this sort of stuff.........

We lost BUT WE WON.......

There is still quite a bit to work on with silly errors but I was rapt with the third quarter and most of the last in particular.

Ed can only play on ball and he was very good when he went back there.

I never want to see JSOS ever questioned again on here !

The UMPIRES CRUCIFIED US.

Williams kicks those couple of easy ones he missed and could have been a different result.
No matter, to me was as good as a win.

Come rd.1 with , Levi, and Gov coming in for Moore and McDonald.
Harry and Weiters on the park ........ We are gonna give the FERAL ONES a real run for their money.

Well played BLUE BOYS a top hit out.

SoS is now able to do the weights and body shape is changing. Natural forward.

Weitering looked nasty. Was certain it was a knee, but the club are saying corked hip. Wasn’t on crutches or in a brace after the game so likely not a knee which is a HUGE relief.

I was worried about Weiters when he stayed down, but once the trainer's came out he jogged off - normally when it's serious, they hop off.

Seen enough to comfortably say we'll finish above them this year
Really?
Geez I wish I could feel that confidence.
I wish we could reach a point where we could trust the team and coaching with consistency. Flashes of brilliance but so hit and miss for mine. Hopefully it's just cobwebs.

JSOS still has more ticker than the sum of his team mates. Luck we are fitter, as it must be tiring chasing our own tails from poor disposal. The guarding space/witches hat gamestyle and kicking long to the hotspot even without a key forward is still very concerning.

Brad Hill is a freak.

Walsh is a freak.

Some ok signs. Will need massive improvement to even make top 10.

Liked the intensity in the 3rd quarter. Maintained possession & created numerous scoring opportunities.

Players like Fish, Dow worked their way into it and most of the others had it enough.

Pitt, OMAC, Setters, Jones (all big guys) very good.

CHF still a black hole, consequently we rarely went through the corridor.

Williams looked terrific, can’t wait to see him in Rd 2.😎

Positives: Williams, Pittonet, JSOS, Fisher, Walsh third term, Setterfield, Murphy forward, Dow, LOB 11 touches in a half, mcdonald worth a shot?

Negatives: Docherty, Plowman, Cripps no impact, injuries, back 6 letting multiple numbers out the back, Moore missed his shot but was probably behind McDonald to start with.
Going to be a lot of defenses struggling to adjust to the new 'stand' rule and the speed at which the ball can come back without time to set up.
We know we have a solid back 6 - VERY solid. Doc played a shocker and Weiters got hurt. Won't happen every week and adjustments will be made (hopefully) from what they learned tonight and how the new rule affects our structures.

What does Teague have against using the Corridor? The AFL produce a set of rules that reward fast free flowing play on footy and Teague still has our boys chip kick it and using the wings. Brad Hill streamed through the Corridor more times that our entire team tonight. You gotta feel for our speedy players like Martin, Williams and Saad, totally ineffectual in that type of game style.
you wanna get it into the corridor you better make sure it goes where you send it or it's basically a goal for them - you have confidence in our disposal for that?

Newnes had a Saints player land on his foot and he badly sprained his ankle. Might struggle to get up for R1.
H had 2 separate tweaks of his ankle, likely made worse by the niggle going in. Came off at QT and didn’t come back.
Hopefully all short term and precautionary. Bugger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back