F: Walker Fevola Betts
HF: Houlihan Cloke Robinson
C: Simpson Gibbs Murphy
HB: Carrazzo Waite Scotland
B:Bower Jamison Thornton
Foll: Kreuzer Stevens Judd
Int: Warnock Hadley Grigg Wiggins

Emg: Johnson Fisher Joseph

Left with: Armfield, Russell, Yarran, Jacobs, Garlett, Hampson, Browne, Hartlett, Edwards, Anderson, Bentick, Bannister, Austin.

Dangerous foward line, awsome midfield, and a pretty strong backline.

Browne must be in the side, he is the future and carrazzo is the past.
Carrazzo has been a loyal servent and a prolific ball winner but the torch must be past on, i cannot see him getting back in the best 22.

Even thou stevens can kick out from defence, johnson must also be in the side, providing accurate kicking out of defence, good disposal is what we have not had in years. Houli may have to make way for him, everybody else i agree with.:thumbsu:

If everyone was fit right now, I'd choose the following. I might be a little biased towards some players though.

HF: Wiggins Cloke Gibbs
C: Simpson Hadley Murphy
B: Bower Jamison Thornton
Foll: Kreuzer Stevens Judd

Int: Warnock Robinson Grigg Wiggins

Emg: Jacobs Garlett Joseph

Bump!

Back again with this thread.

We've had 5 weeks of season 2009 to see who's up to it and who isn't. So, if all players were available, who gets into your top 22? Here's mine:

HF: Wiggins Cloke Fisher
C: Gibbs Hadley Murphy
Foll: Kreuzer Judd Stevens

Int: Houlahan, Grigg, Irishman

Emg: Simpson, Robinson

Fisher and Walker have yet to make an appearance but I reckon they need to be in. Walker came back last year after injury and was very impressive. Fisher can take a mark up forward. I have lost favour with Simpson because he:
1. can't kick a goal on the run;
2. can't kick a goal on a set shot;
3. can't find a man on a lead; and
4. can't kick low and fast - too many 'floating' kicks

Plus his handpassing is suspect.

I have lost favour with Simpson because he:
Kicked two of the more difficult set shots on the weekend to turn the game. Can do everything you've listed. Pointless, rubbish part of your post. Check him out on youtube as "best pick 42 ever" or whatever he was.

K Simpson is definitely in our best 22, a bit of a smokey but on what he has shown so far A Joseph looks to be in our first 22. After rnd 5 he is the only elevated rookie still getting a gig

Bump!

We've had 5 weeks of season 2009 to see who's up to it and who isn't. So, if all players were available, who gets into your top 22? Here's mine:

Fisher and Walker have yet to make an appearance but I reckon they need to be in. Walker came back last year after injury and was very impressive. Fisher can take a mark up forward. I have lost favour with Simpson because he:

Simpson got 9/10 votes from the coaches last week.

Fisher is lucky to make the Bullants best 22. :rolleyes:

Bump!

Another Simpson knocker, Simpson was back to his best last weekend and was in our top 5, he is easily in our best 22, l suggest there are some people that have very short memories and make a ill-informed judgement on 2-3 games.
Simpson has been a very solid performer over a number of years and will continue to be so, l am certainly glad some of these Simpson knockers are not part of our MC.
l fail to see how Walker can be in our best 22 this year when based on history a conservative recovery should be planned for him e.g next year as the reality is that if he brokes down again there is a major question mark whether he will play again.

Bump!

ARGH!

I don't mean to harp on but Russell should be there. Irishman shouldnt, Fisher definitely shouldnt.

HF: Wiggins Cloke Russell
C: Gibbs Hadley Simpson
Foll: Kreuzer Judd Murphy

I:Stevens Houlihan Grigg Warnock (He'd want to be in our best)

Hard outs: AJ and Army. I think both are great, and give us a chance (finally) of stopping small forwards. But the names above suggest otherwise. On team balance i may change walker to AJ.

Jacobs could be in, as could setanta i suppose. Fisher has done nothing of yet this year to deserve a recall, without him our defensive pressure is a million times better.

Interesting times ahead if scotty, stevo, carrazzo, grigg are all it who plays? Other than carrots none can stop a small pacey forward, so i would think it more important to have AJ or army in to do this. *shrugs* good problem to have.

Ok here's my effort:

B: Joseph Jamo Thornton
HB: Bower Waite Scotland
C: Grigg Hadley Murphy
HF: Wiggo Cloke Houla
F: Yarran Fev Betts

Ruck: Kruezer Judd Gibbs

Int: Russell Carrazzo Stevens Armfield

Obviously Yarran is a question mark but I'm assuming He'll start playing soon and I'd like to see him in action.

I would also like to see Irish at CHF for a few games to see how he goes and ideally I would have Warnock and Walker in, probably at the expense of Army and Cloke.

But I also like Browne, Robo and Bannister and I'd still persevere with Johno .... ahhh its getting too damn hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to include Walker or Warnock, given that they are out of action for some time.

Here we go:

Backs: Carrazzo Jamison Bower
H-Backs: Scotland Thornton Waite
Centres: Russell Murphy Simpson
H-Forwards: Houlihan Cloke Wiggins
Forwards: Betts Fevola O"Hailpin
Rucks: Kreuzer Judd Gibbs
I/C: Stevens Armfield Joseph Grigg

I'm not going to include Walker or Warnock, given that they are out of action for some time.

Here we go:

pretty much spot on there,

when walker fully fit he replaces armfield

when warnock fit he replaces o"hailpin

but that there is our best 22

Here we go:

That is basically our team this week... swapping Johnson for Grigg

I like this team... but I still feel that so many players deserve a go... players like Hadley, Browne, Robbo, Yarran, Ando, Hampson etc... how lovely is depth

O.K., you are a Carlton selector. Who are the top 22 players you'd pick if everyone was available. Here's mine in the old fashioned way of naming a team:

F: Betts, Fevola, Carazzo

HF: Simpson, Kruezer, Fisher

C: Gibbs, Stevens, Murphy

HB: Walker, Waite, Bentick

B: Thornton, Jamison, Wiggins

Ruck:Cloke, Judd, Murphy

Interchange: Scotland, Hadley, Bower, Bannister

The last 5 are going to be argued this way or that way. Who would you leave out of this team and by whom?

Delete Fisher - Insert JR.

On form at the moment, JR is playing a lot better than Fish, and once he gets his confidence up will be a pretty important player in our 22.

I cannot honestly justify having Aaron Joesph in our best 22 right now (except as an emergancy)

BTW LOL @ The General having a player in our best 22, who has yet to play a senior game (Yarran) and Austin (who is still unproven at senior level)

I am still not convinced about the 'supposed' depth at Carlton either, if that was the case, surely we should have beaten a Hawthorn team last night, minus most of it's premiership winning backline.

LOL?

Are you a teenager?

How many players are good enough to lay a hand on Cyril Rioli and win a free kick?

Dump Joseph. :rolleyes:

Yarran will be a star.

Unlike Bower, Austin looks more like a traditional big bodied and can play at both ends at CHB or CHF.

Oz add to our versatility and depth.

We had to move Waite forward yesterday...

Oz showed a bit on Hawkins in one on ones in the pre-season, so he has the potential and the talent to play on the bigger forwards once his body matures. Austin has massive quads for a 20 year old and looks built for playing on the bigger bodies.

Pic37.jpg

I'mnotRobertWalls

Setanta is very mobile, but an unco and a muppet.

In 2009...

B: Carrazzo Jamison Bower
HB: Grigg Waite Scotland
C: Gibbs Stevens Simpson
HF: Houlihan Cloke Walker
F: Betts Fevola Fisher
Inter: Yarran, Austin, Warnock, Hadley

For the first time in a few years, this exercise was hard!

I posted the above team on 1 January.

My best 22 as at today are:

B: Joseph Jamison Bower
HB: Grigg Waite Scotland
C: Gibbs Stevens Simpson
HF: Houlihan O'hAiplin Wiggins
F: Betts Fevola Carrazzo
Inter: Russell, Hadley, Cloke, Yarran

I know O'hAilpin probably doesn't necessarily have the smarts to play CHF, however, he certainly has the athleticism, hunger and passion to really give it a go. I honestly believe he is more valuable up forward than down back for us. I really only see Carlos as a depth player as well. Walker is injured and would easily come in for Carlos IMO, unless Carlos can make his spot in the side as a CHF because other than Waite, there is nobody else. The way I see it, until we start developing somebody like Mark Austin in the Seniors, Waite will always be required down back.

Which leads to another area - it was a toss-up between Russell and Austin on the bench. Russell because he has been ok this year but do we bite the bullet and start playing Aussie because we need to for our future structure down back? I know they do not play the same position so how can I say they are a toss-up, but, in all honesty, Carrazzo, Stevens, Grigg and even Houlihan to a degree can all play Russell's role, and probably do it better as well.

Yarran goes in because he is classy and we really need another classy forward. Hoping that he has a good game this week and he may just debut next week or the week after against the Pies.

As soon as Warnock is ready, Cloke will go out. He has been really disappointing this year and really hasn't given us a lot.

Carlton needs to play Hampson for his development.

There's no reason why Hammer can't do what Renouf does at Hawthorn and play as a mobile follower.

The Hawks played three rucks plus Roughead and Franklin yesterday.

Hammer probably chases harder than a few of our stars with silky skills.

If Hammer plays well today, I have no doubt he will come in next week for Cloke.

With who is available now:

B: Thornton Jamo Joseph
HB:Scottland Austin Bower
C: Simpson Gibbs Grigg
HF: Carrots Wait Wiggins
F: Betts Fev Hampson

R: Kruezer Judd Murphy

Int: Stevens, Houla, Russell, Hadley

Ideal 2009 line up:

HB: Carrots Wait Bower
C: Gibbs Hadley Grigg
HF: Walker Kruezer Betts
F: Yarran Fev Houla

R: Warnock Judd Murphy

Int: Stevens, Austin, Scottland, Simpson

Likely 2010 best 22:

HB: Gibbs Austin Bower
C: Walker Carrots Grigg
HF: Waite Kruezer Robinson
F: Yarran Fev Betts

R: Warnock Judd Murphy

Int: Stevens, Hampson, Scottland, Browne

Carlton needs to play Hampson for his development.

There's no reason why Hammer can't play a similar role to Renouf.

The Hawks played three rucks plus Roughead and Franklin yesterday.

Hammer chases harder than a few of our stars and mids who have silky skills...
A Brisbane boy too, so I'm sure he'll love the opportunity to play in front of his family and friends. While a number of posters have been saying he's not ready, his form in the seconds has been excellent by all reports.

He'll only benefit so much playing against short people and immobile spuds in the seconds - bring him in and let him develop in the firsts where he'll learn so much more. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back