Toast Cat Academies - Geelong/Hampton and East Arnhem

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant wait to see our own Tippa at KP...:thumbsu:

I see him play in Dons VFL in 2014 and he was a standout to to me then - such a talented player.

There is so much talent from up North that does not get to see the light of Top line AFL games, I hope this initiative opens doors for those with that talent that want to play at the highest level.

Even if one bloke makes it its worth it IMO.

GO Catters

First player to come from the academy has been signed up to the VFL side
That kid can play. There was a bit spoken about him a while ago. He's the nephew of former Fremantle player Gary Dhurrkay.

GEELONG will give Northern Territory duo Raven Marika and Lochlan Dhurrkay every chance over the summer to earn spots on its VFL list for the 2018 season.

The pair, who hail from the East Arnhem region and play with Palmerston in the Northern Territory Football League, are products of the Cats’ Next Generation Academy.

Marika and Dhurrkay have been named Cats’ VFL pre-season training squad and coach Shane O’Bree said they’re already making an impression on the track.

“We’ve only trained a couple of times and their raw speed and ball skills is impressive,” O’Bree told krockfootball.com.au ahead of the VFL squad’s 2km time trial at Deakin University last night.

“They’re so nice to watch, silky in the way they move, and they’re really clean with their ball handling skills.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/nt-duo-get-chance-to-impress-cats/

That kid can play. There was a bit spoken about him a while ago. He's the nephew of former Fremantle player Gary Dhurrkay.

Thanks Nackers,
I was going to ask if he was a related to the late Gary Dhurrkay who played AFL for Freo and Norf.

If he plays like a star in the vfl and came into draft consideration, do we have dibs on him? Like an academy player.
You'd hope so otherwise there's not that much point really.
If it is an academy style setup if we get 2 or 3 players in 10 years that play over 50 games that's a massive win in my book.

If he plays like a star in the vfl and came into draft consideration, do we have dibs on him? Like an academy player.
Yes, the same as Hawthorn did with Jiath.

I see him play in Dons VFL in 2014 and he was a standout to to me then - such a talented player.

There is so much talent from up North that does not get to see the light of Top line AFL games, I hope this initiative opens doors for those with that talent that want to play at the highest level.

GO Catters

That would have been at Etihad when he put on a bit of an exhibition in an Essendon 100pt demolition of our VFL side. I said on here we would do well to get him - but his unusual background would make it difficult.

I do hope that this academy gives kids an easier path to the AFL than Tippa had.

Pretty sure Tippa is not from our now zone but his story is worth a read if you want to find out what hurdles these kids face. One or two private individuals played major roles in opening up his opportunity. Now our club can take on the challenge as a collective.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe 2015...
At Etihad.... we played Dons there...
Saw the VFL game as well.

He was on fire.

GO Catters

That would have been at Etihad when he put on a bit of an exhibition in an Essendon 100pt demolition of our VFL side. I said on here we would do well to get him - but his unusual background would make it difficult.

I do hope that this academy gives kids an easier path to the AFL than Tippa had.

Pretty sure Tippa is not from our now zone but his story is worth a read if you want to find out what hurdles these kids face. One or two private individuals played major roles in opening up his opportunity. Now our club can take on the challenge as a collective.
Tippa is from the Tiwi islands, it's an Essendon Academy area.

Although footy up there is struggling mightily to sustain itself funding wise iirc. So they have a potentially exciting talent pool but need to invest heavily and work hard to earn it. Seems a bit like exactly how the academy things should be.

The cats have signed this fellow to the vfl list, Lochlan Dhurrkay i assume through the nt academy. Good luck to him.
48e61c944260e3f45f9fc3f1d8a560cf.jpg

*slow news week from yours truly didn't realise he's been spoken about previously

21. Played 3 games in the neafl. Comes from a photoball family. Actually hasnt had much to do to with the club so we might get a freebie. Good luck to the kid, he has a long road ahead of him.

maybe 2015...
At Etihad.... we played Dons there...
Saw the VFL game as well.

He was on fire.

GO Catters
It was strange. Everybody seemed worried about tippa and his cultural background. But he was already playing vfl so was clear that it was not going to effect him like it effects others from remote communities

21. Played 3 games in the neafl. Comes from a photoball family. Actually hasnt had much to do to with the club so we might get a freebie. Good luck to the kid, he has a long road ahead of him.

It was strange. Everybody seemed worried about tippa and his cultural background. But he was already playing vfl so was clear that it was not going to effect him like it effects others from remote communities
I dont recall any of the concerns you refer to - but it makes sense I guess. He's certainly become the example of what can happen and work out well for everyone involved. long may it continue.

GO Catters

GO Catters
it's interesting the opinions, as I saw him at a game at KP the year or so before all the players got suspended and thought he was a mile away. I was really surprised at how he turned into a decent AFL player to be honest

it's interesting the opinions, as I saw him at a game at KP the year or so before all the players got suspended and thought he was a mile away. I was really surprised at how he turned into a decent AFL player to be honest
I get what you are saying an I think it was fitness...

At least IMO it was... he saw the ball and read the play well but just could not keep getting the right spots...and over the time that has improved and its reflected in the play. Im sure also getting better coaching and a desire to succeed helps too.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Cat Academies - Geelong/Hampton and East Arnhem

Remove this Banner Ad

Back