News Cats are better without me: former coach Mark Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn!
This is just opening up old wounds :(

Reading that McKenna quote is very unsettling as Gazza did his best to hide his real reasons for leaving...

gazzamckenna.jpg

Re: Cats are better without me -Mark Thompson

McKenna:
One thing I can say from that meeting too. When we sat down with Gary [at/after] that meeting, I'll be honest, from a club, from a coaches point of view, I thought "hang on, do I smell a rat here? Is he trying to leverage something here, does he want Geelong to know about this, what's the reason behind this....." obviously you're not gonna knock back the chance to talk to him. After that probably 40 minute discussion, we walked away, and I was impressed of the reason why he actually wanted to come and spoke, and he spoke about challenges and all that sort of stuff, and [it] sort of [turned] it around. So I mean, the perception out there with the money and all that sort of stuff, it was, clearly he was coming out to seek us to see how big this challenge was going to be.

thanks tima, i looked for a transcript and couldnt find it myself.

You are ignorant
The suns were blown away that weeks after our premiership win judas sought them out and was analizing their list

And for the record he would have been making plenty at the cats, and repaying people who supported his greedy family

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you hate the Abletts so much?

Okay, you claim to be upset about Ablett leaving (interested to see a post where you actually gave any praise to Gary Ablett WHILE HE WAS AT GEELONG), but why pot Gary Snr?

Gary Ablett Snr didn't show us disloyalty. I could understand Hawthorn fans who could be upset, since he played six games with them, but Ablett snr never left us for another team. Even when he retired for a couple of months in 1991, he didn't join another club, but then came back to Geelong. Also, our team didn't really struggle during that period, so his absence didn't cost us finals. You probably take Gary Ayres side for his shocking treatment of Ablett snr, or even Bairstow, Couch and Brownless, for that matter.

I have never got your problem with Gary Snr, or even Lauren Phillips, who you seem to make her out to be a slag. How would you even know any of them? Did you ask for an autograph, and got turned down?

That is why I put it down to pure and utter jealousy. You, Me, are a bitter troll, who is jealous of the Abletts, because, secretly, you hate Geelong, and are a "Bomber" supporter, (since you have never given credit to either Chris Scott, Costa, Cook, Stephen Wells or any of our players for anything, especially anything to do with winning premierships). So, go and join the Essendon board, and express your love for Thompson with all the Essendon sycophants. If it were up to me, I would tell you that you are no longer welcome on this board.

What, Me, no response to my post?

Cat got your tongue, or have you finally been owned?

I'm surprised that this topic isn't locked yet!

Port Adelaide were the ones who say that they saw Gary Ablett coming out of a meeting with the Suns in 2009, weren't they?

Well, hopefully they will also witness when their own player, Travis Boak, comes out of a meeting with Geelong officials, when the Power visit Geelong today. LOL!

Here's another problem I have with Mark Thompson!

Geelong is struggling in 2012. Now, our new players only have a couple of seasons of games in them, and we have very few players who have played 50-150 games. Either players have played less than 50 games, or more than 150.

Why do I hold "Bomber" parttly responsible for this, when he isn't even at the club? Because, when he coached us, he seemed to play players like Menzel and Duncan in a game or two, but then dropped them, no matter how good a game they had played, to bring premiership players back into the team.

Bomber didn't seem to get many games into the younger guys late in his coaching career, and seemed to totally rely on our premiership heroes. I can understand the temptation to play your best 22 each week, but if we brought a new player in, they should keep getting played, as long as they deliver.

One example is playing Shane Mumford for most of the 2009 season as our second ruckman, and he was doing well, but was dropped for finals, so Bomber could play Mark Blake instead (who maybe he felt that he owed something to, for dropping him from the 2007 GF). I believe that this was a big reason that Mumford left for Sydney.

While playing premiership heroes is tempting, Chris Scott was determined to add new players to our team, if they deserved a game. Also, he didn't guarantee past premiership players any favours, and they had to earn their spot. Result:- We had most of our premiership players playing at their best, Menzel and Duncan played almost every game, and we introduced Nathan Vardy and Allan Christensen, who has been a revelation. I doubt Christensen would have got regular games under "Bomber" as he would play someone like Shannon Byrnes instead, because Byrnes has played in two premierships.

I feel that if Bomber, in 2009 and 2010, had added 3 or 4 new players to our team both years, we would be better placed, as players debuting in 2009 may have almost 50 games by now, as opposed to 20-25.

Couldn't agree more Catman 71. Thompson cruised on the back of '07 and '08 and was lazy in his development of the next group. He was content to let the senior players do the work and just get his status of the back of that. The backman- forgotten name - who went to Hawthorn is another example. We now pay the price.

One example is playing Shane Mumford for most of the 2009 season as our second ruckman, and he was doing well, but was dropped for finals, so Bomber could play Mark Blake instead (who maybe he felt that he owed something to, for dropping him from the 2007 GF). I believe that this was a big reason that Mumford left for Sydney.

Oh FFS here we go again.Mumford was not dropped for Blake.Some unknown ruckman named Bard or Brad Ottens [think he played a few games for us] replaced Mumford.Blake was already in the team.Mumford was struggling towards the end of 2009,but let's not let facts get in the way.

:rolleyes:

have quietly been enjoying Bomber's jubilant and cheerful attitude on AFL 360 slowly but surely begin to fade away as Essendon went from 1st to clinging onto top 4 to now 6th and trying to make finals :D

He's not quite as bubbly in recent weeks.

He's actually concerned about the 2012 Cats. Feeling guilty about how he derailed their chance at flag with his actions in '09.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you hate the Abletts so much?
i don't hate him, but i would hate for you to deal with facts.
Okay, you claim to be upset about Ablett leaving (interested to see a post where you actually gave any praise to Gary Ablett WHILE HE WAS AT GEELONG), but why pot Gary Snr?
senior was a great player, but the club saved his backside. his family was given money, food, etc as senior went awol. and he repays the club by asking for more and more. he is a taker of the highest order. have a look at how much dunstall and co give back to hawthorn. you might see a little difference. ablett sums up what is wrong with nixon who guided him. and if you ever saw the heraldsun photos of gazza i think you might question his character whilst playing.
Gary Ablett Snr didn't show us disloyalty. really? walked out of the club, flogged his gear when he knew his son was goingI could understand Hawthorn fans who could be upset, since he played six games with them, but Ablett snr never left us for another team. Even when he retired for a couple of months in 1991, he didn't join another club, but then came back to Geelong. Also, our team didn't really struggle during that period, so his absence didn't cost us finals. You probably take Gary Ayres side for his shocking treatment of Ablett snr, or even Bairstow, Couch and Brownless, for that matter.

I have never got your problem with Gary Snr, or even Lauren Phillips, who you seem to make her out to be a slag. How would you even know any of them? Did you ask for an autograph, and got turned down?
the moth is an attention machine, and her behaviour is why she is a "slag". he non judas action has been mentioned elsewhere. wow love your intellectual remark.
That is why I put it down to pure and utter jealousy. You, Me, are a bitter troll, who is jealous of the Abletts, because, secretly, you hate Geelong, and are a "Bomber" supporter, (since you have never given credit to either Chris Scott, Costa, Cook, Stephen Wells or any of our players for anything, especially anything to do with winning premierships). So, go and join the Essendon board, and express your love for Thompson with all the Essendon sycophants. If it were up to me, I would tell you that you are no longer welcome on this board.
not a troll, and it is so funny that you believe in freedom of opinion. As opposed to the intellectual pigmy i can debate a topic, and don't feel the need to ban people of opposing views. The reason Geelong is in the position it is, is because of costa, cook, thompson, wells and balme and the boys. bomber is a far smarter bloke than many here give him credit and so too sanderson (and that is why bomber highly recommended him).

Ablett lied. And maybe there is some resentment because of that. He seeked the gc weeks after a premiership. he had an os trip for 20 odd people paid for by the big brother. and he presented the gc with a good case to recruit him weeks after winning the premiership, he was gone and craped on to geelong. as for all the other evidence all old news.

i am glad you are an intellectual, and believe in barbaric policies

Here's another problem I have with Mark Thompson!

Geelong is struggling in 2012. Now, our new players only have a couple of seasons of games in them, and we have very few players who have played 50-150 games. Either players have played less than 50 games, or more than 150.
one of the fallbacks of success, i wonder how the players would have taken being rested in the 09 and 10, and can you nominate ins and outs, you also fail to recognise that prismall was given games but gone, mummy same, menzel is injured so too vardy, let alone varcoe, add those 5 back in and a different year would have resulted
Why do I hold "Bomber" parttly responsible for this, when he isn't even at the club? Because, when he coached us, he seemed to play players like Menzel and Duncan in a game or two, but then dropped them, no matter how good a game they had played, to bring premiership players back into the team.
otherwise the premiership player might have left, and you might want to see when they arrived and the numerous years they had under bomber
Bomber didn't seem to get many games into the younger guys late in his coaching career, and seemed to totally rely on our premiership heroes. I can understand the temptation to play your best 22 each week, but if we brought a new player in, they should keep getting played, as long as they deliver.
really sherlock, when the premiership stars were killing it
i assume selwood is too old, hawkins the same, taylor, all these recruits under bomber are hopeless
mummy was dropped as he ran out of steam. and the swans swooped with a massive offer, dont let facts get in the way of a good story
While playing premiership heroes is tempting, Chris Scott was determined to add new players to our team, if they deserved a game. Also, he didn't guarantee past premiership players any favours, and they had to earn their spot. Result:- We had most of our premiership players playing at their best, Menzel and Duncan played almost every game, and we introduced Nathan Vardy and Allan Christensen, who has been a revelation. I doubt Christensen would have got regular games under "Bomber" as he would play someone like Shannon Byrnes instead, because Byrnes has played in two premierships.
really as scott was debating about mooney and hawkins, and he was conviced on the strategy you claim is his
I feel that if Bomber, in 2009 and 2010, had added 3 or 4 new players to our team both years, we would be better placed, as players debuting in 2009 may have almost 50 games by now, as opposed to 20-25.
and we won a flag in 09 and 11 because of bombers squad
and the bullshit with judas in 10 had nothing to do with derailing the season

not a troll, and it is so funny that you believe in freedom of opinion. As opposed to the intellectual pigmy i can debate a topic, and don't feel the need to ban people of opposing views. The reason Geelong is in the position it is, is because of costa, cook, thompson, wells and balme and the boys. bomber is a far smarter bloke than many here give him credit and so too sanderson (and that is why bomber highly recommended him).

Ablett lied. And maybe there is some resentment because of that. He seeked the gc weeks after a premiership. he had an os trip for 20 odd people paid for by the big brother. and he presented the gc with a good case to recruit him weeks after winning the premiership, he was gone and craped on to geelong. as for all the other evidence all old news.

i am glad you are an intellectual, and believe in barbaric policies

Every single thing you have said is an ACCUSATION!

Provide one scerrick of proof to back any of your claims. The Abletts were given food etc, when senior went AWOL. Okay, take a photo of the receipts and post it here.

You say that Ablett jnr had a contract with GC BEFORE he left Geelong. Proof? I'm not going to believe it because you say so, or because most of the posters here are a bunch of sheep, incapable of thinking for themselves. I need evidence to convince me, once and for all. Provide that, and I will admit that you are right.

What I need is a photograph of the contract Gary Ablett Jnr signed with Gold Coast, and it needs to be dated, to verify that it was before or during the 2010 season. Provide that evidence, and I will be convinced. You must know how to get it, since you are so sure that Jnr did this. You wouldn't be just making it up to satisfy your own insecurity and jealousy for being a pathetic little worm, would you?

Provide photographic evidence to support your point of view. Then post it here for everyone else to see, so no-one else can then question your accusations ever again.

I'll be waiting!

and we won a flag in 09 and 11 because of bombers squad
and the bullshit with judas in 10 had nothing to do with derailing the season

Actually we won the 2007, 2009 and 2011 flags thanks to players hand-picked by Stephen Wells! If he hadn't picked those particular players, we wouldn't have won three flags.

Bomber wasn't even there in 2011, so I give him no credit for that, (and don't worry, I don't give Ablett any credit either for 2011, since he was not there either. Unlike you, I can be consistent).

Every single thing you have said is an ACCUSATION!

Provide one scerrick of proof to back any of your claims. The Abletts were given food etc, when senior went AWOL. Okay, take a photo of the receipts and post it here.

You say that Ablett jnr had a contract with GC BEFORE he left Geelong. Proof? I'm not going to believe it because you say so, or because most of the posters here are a bunch of sheep, incapable of thinking for themselves. I need evidence to convince me, once and for all. Provide that, and I will admit that you are right.

What I need is a photograph of the contract Gary Ablett Jnr signed with Gold Coast, and it needs to be dated, to verify that it was before or during the 2010 season. Provide that evidence, and I will be convinced. You must know how to get it, since you are so sure that Jnr did this. You wouldn't be just making it up to satisfy your own insecurity and jealousy for being a pathetic little worm, would you?

Provide photographic evidence to support your point of view. Then post it here for everyone else to see, so no-one else can then question your accusations ever again.

I'll be waiting!
1. there was no contract is was mou
2. do you want photos of costa's boys dropping off supplies to the young ablett family from 20 years ago
3. why were the gc surprised when ablett went to them, why?
4. do you believe ablett only made up his mind 2 days before the press release?
5. why did ablett ask pickering to assess the gc list in march
6. and given you are asking for personal documents which you realise are not available then your whole waffle is useless
7. why dont you ask judas who paid for 20odd people to be in the states
8. so before you waffle on think

Actually we won the 2007, 2009 and 2011 flags thanks to players hand-picked by Stephen Wells! If he hadn't picked those particular players, we wouldn't have won three flags.

Bomber wasn't even there in 2011, so I give him no credit for that, (and don't worry, I don't give Ablett any credit either for 2011, since he was not there either. Unlike you, I can be consistent).

bomber set the scene for 2011
much like mick malthouse set the scene for the pies this year

their legacy continues

a coach can not make a monumental change in 12 months
credit to both chris and bomber

bomber set the scene for 2011
much like mick malthouse set the scene for the pies this year

their legacy continues

a coach can not make a monumental change in 12 months
credit to both chris and bomber

Agree that Chris reaped the benefits of much of Bombers good work last year. I think Chris acknowledged that himself.

Much like Ayers after Blighty.:eek: But I maintain the faith that Chris has the goods as a coach.

Sorry Me but Cook and Balme have both said that Thompson was the reason that Gary jnr left Geelong. Sorry Me but it was the team that won finals in 07 and 09 , when Thompson got involved in 08-playing injured players, poor match ups, no plan b- we lost and in 10- when he was lying about his future and had decided to go- we lost . And don't start on 04,05 and 06!. Full marks to the players and Wells.

Sorry Me but Cook and Balme have both said that Thompson was the reason that Gary jnr left Geelong. Sorry Me but it was the team that won finals in 07 and 09 , when Thompson got involved in 08-playing injured players, poor match ups, no plan b- we lost and in 10- when he was lying about his future and had decided to go- we lost . And don't start on 04,05 and 06!. Full marks to the players and Wells.

Judas left for cash
End of story

He could not even pretend he was happy when someone stole the show in cairns

Judas left for cash
End of story

He could not even pretend he was happy when someone stole the show in cairns

He looked pretty bloody happy to me. I'm pissed he left as well, but what is done is done. We won a flag without him. He will proberbly never win another one. It's his loss. He did alot for the club, so for that i'm thankful.

He looked pretty bloody happy to me. I'm pissed he left as well, but what is done is done. We won a flag without him. He will proberbly never win another one. It's his loss. He did alot for the club, so for that i'm thankful.
The club did nothing for him
He did it all
Probably

Mark is not taking aby credit. What he is saying is that he is happy that geeong is playing well.

There are some differences between Bomber and Judas. Bomber did not leave to be a senior coach anywhere. He was born and bred an Essendon boy, whereas Judas was born and bred, and spoon fed a Cat. There is a difference with replacing a coach with an elite player. Carlton would hurt more by Judd leaving than Ratten.

and Thompson left for a career change working with mates, Judas left for more time with gold bars

Bomber is being senior coach of Essendon next year, so, so much for your theory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back