Cats have played 10 first gamers in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

pavilion103

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/141283/default.aspx

I'm not sure what can be read into this stat but it seems quite a high number.

What is the usual number of first gamers that a team would play each year. I have absolutely no idea, but I'm guessing 3-4 players drafted from the year before? Or maybe 5-6 in total?

The number 10 struck me as rather large. I'm not quite sure why we are debuting so many players in stead of say, persisting with someone like Murdoch for a few more weeks, who has only played a couple of games and has now been dropped!

It's usually less, most teams don't even have that many potential first gamers - and even then most of them are hacks (sorry, players with 'potential') from the rookie list.

Quite a few debuted for the Cats last year as well - I guess it marks the start of the transition from the legendary Cats team of the last few years.

Just saw the Cats team list for the game against the Pies this weekend, and realized I don't recognize a large chunk of the team! Which ones are the good prospects in the side..?

• Banned
Just saw the Cats team list for the game against the Pies this weekend, and realized I don't recognize a large chunk of the team! Which ones are the good prospects in the side..?
I'm not too sure. I don't see any of the VFL so don't really know any of them apart from the few games in the seniors when they come through.

10 is a high number. We played 10 or 11 last year, and ended up with one person on the senior list who hadn't played a game.

From what I've noticed though, they haven't been getting extended runs. Play a few games, then go back to the VFL. Understandable though.

Agree, I think Geelong should not have dropped Murdoch and Brown. They played pretty well last week, but Josh Walker deserves a spot, It is a young Geelong team. Geelong have never had they're best team on the park this season and the majority of the media forget that. Always hearing about Collingwood's injuries, but not Geelong. Missing from Geelong Vardy, Menzel,Varcoe,Bartel,Wojo And J Pod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, on the money. I dare say that Geelong haven't had any injury worries this season but you've realised that your younger players are actually better than players like Wojcinski and started blooding the new generation.

"Geelong haven't had injury worries ". What are you talking about! We've had 5 -6 players missing each week from from our best team.

Fair enough but maybe those senior players are out because there are simply better younger players?
LOL Menzel has done his good ACL, Vardy has had major hip surgery, Varcoe has had massive foot surgery and not once but many times. Geelong has 3 players aged 24-27 on their list available.

Who has been missing?

Well the following players are best 22 players who have missed games:

Varcoe, Menzel, Christensen, Kelly, Scarlett, Podsiadly, Hawkins, Taylor, Selwood, Bartel, Johnson, Lonergan, Chapman, Corey, Duncan, Motlop, Enright, J Hunt.

Between them they've missed 57 games between them. So that's on average more than 4 definite best 22 players missing each week.

Then there's depth or fringe players like Wojcinski, Simpson and Vardy who have barely played. Add in others that have missed the odd games and there's normally been at least 5 players missing who would have been selected in our best team if fit. Probably more like 6-7 on average.

Well the following players are best 22 players who have missed games:

Varcoe, Menzel, Christensen, Kelly, Scarlett, Podsiadly, Hawkins, Taylor, Selwood, Bartel, Johnson, Lonergan, Chapman, Corey, Duncan, Motlop, Enright, J Hunt.

Between them they've missed 57 games between them. So that's on average more than 4 definite best 22 players missing each week.

Then there's depth or fringe players like Wojcinski, Simpson and Vardy who have barely played. Add in others that have missed the odd games and there's normally been at least 5 players missing who would have been selected in our best team if fit. Probably more like 6-7 on average.

Is this a geelong supporter trolling geelong? Or perhaps she doesnt realise that the point she is making is that this is the first time that geelong have faced sustained injuries?

Perhaps she believes that geelong were lucky to make so many grandfinals considering they had no injuries

Is this a geelong supporter trolling geelong? Or perhaps she doesnt realise that the point she is making is that this is the first time that geelong have faced sustained injuries?

Perhaps she believes that geelong were lucky to make so many grandfinals considering they had no injuries

The Cats have had plenty of injuries previously; the main difference is that there is no longer the great depth there once was. An injury now is a massive hit, especially when its the likes of Varcoe, who adds alot of dash and flair to a team that doesn't have all that much of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats have played 10 first gamers in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back