Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo must have been sober when he put that together - solid effort ;)
Difficult task but here's mine :
Ablett
Selwood
Dangerfield
Bartel
Hawkins
Scarlett
Enright
Taylor
Chapman
Stewart

HM's - SJ , Cameron, Corey and Lawson Humphries ( in 8 years time !)

Scarlett tied or above with Bartel.
SJ instead of Taylor, this list is most correct for impact @ GFC

Last edited:
Yeah, no.
This is actually the list of players there were all clearly objectively better. Mostly all Australians. Blicavs never made a starting all Australian team and was considered extremely lucky to make the bench in the year that he did. My personal list would have another 25 players ahead of blicavs on top of those I've just listed.

This is actually the list of players there were all clearly objectively better. Mostly all Australians. Blicavs never made a starting all Australian team and was considered extremely lucky to make the bench in the year that he did. My personal list would have another 25 players ahead of blicavs on top of those I've just listed.

They aren’t though, are they, objectively.

They are better to you, a noted critic of Blicavs for the better part of a decade.

Meanwhile everyone else commenting has nothing notable for or against Blicavs or any of the players mentioned, but won’t rate a lot of those players higher than him.

Hard to argue with that list. Matty Egan is one in my mind who could’ve cracked this list if he didn’t have his career cut so short with injury. Incredible defender. Could’ve been better than Scarlett.

Hard to argue with that list. Matty Egan is one in my mind who could’ve cracked this list if he didn’t have his career cut so short with injury. Incredible defender. Could’ve been better than Scarlett.
I disagree with that. At his absolute peak, could have been as good as Taylor was. But not Scarlett - Scarlo was on another level to every other defender I have ever seen play the game.

We have an amazing top 10.

Jimmy falls down the list because he was only a truly great mid between 2007-08. He then became a bit parts player and while exceptional at that role. It was a lesser role.

Who does he go ahead of?

Jimmy was a star for well over a decade for the club. Bits part player is selling him so short. Even Chappy said he was the best player he ever played with...

Jimmy is ahead of Chapman, Stewart, Taylor, Boris.

For service to the team he is ahead of Cameron.

I'd say hes line ball with Tbone. Only players clearly ahead of him are are Jnr, the skipper, Scarlett and Danger in that order.

Jimmy criminally underrated - genuinely a top 10 player in the entrie league in his time. Robbo had him at no 2 in his top 50 in 2011.

Jimmy was a star for well over a decade for the club. Bits part player is selling him so short.

I'd say hes line ball with Tbone. Only players clearly ahead of him are are Jnr, the skipper, Scarlett and Danger in that order.
Agreed, Brownlow , Norm Smith best wet game player in the league and an amazing mark over head for his size. I would be him even with Stewart.

Not to labor the point re. PC/SJ because I love both of them but in acknowledging Chapman’s ‘hardness’ I think there was an understated toughness to Johnson that didn’t necessarily manifest itself through contested footy etc but through his arrogance, his mental toughness, his sledging and the way he would really get in the face of the opposition.
Agreed. Also proved when he went into the midfield he could do the contested in and under stuff too.

Agreed, Brownlow , Norm Smith best wet game player in the league and an amazing mark over head for his size. I would be him even with Stewart.

Amazing mark for any size.

Brilliant kick and handball as well. His fundamentals were off the charts. Tough as nails , durable and probably the best IQ in the league, Was always in the right positions at the right time doing the right thing. Was one of the greatest cluitch players of all time. Stepped up in every final and delivered. '11 grandfinal kicking 3 ridiculous goals to keep us in it when we needed a lift.

07 prelim kept winning the hardball out of the ruck in the dying the minutes and buried himself into the pack to create another stoppage taking valuable seconds off the clock to take us into the grandfinal.

How many times would he peel off and stay on the goal line for a stoppage to act as a goalkeeper. He thought the game better than anyone we've had, perhaps even the league at that time or any time. His thinking of the game is evident in the media today.

To the astute eye he was truly one of the greats of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy was a star for well over a decade for the club. Bits part player is selling him so short. Even Chappy said he was the best player he ever played with...

Jimmy criminally underrated - genuinely a top 10 player in the entrie league in his time. Robbo had him at no 2 in his top 50 in 2011.
I already have bartel ahead of enright and taylor.

Chapman its a close one. They are pretty line ball. Ive ranked chapman one spot higher but could easily flip them. That still only moves bartel from 10 to 9 for me.

Im not ranking service to the team in my list. Thus the reason cameron is higher on my list then others.

The brownlow was in the years he was a mid. He only won all australians in 2008 and 2007 in the two seasons he dominated as a mid.

After 2008 he changed roles. Never got near all australian again. Became inconsistent. Could still pull out some ripping matches in different roles and did so in big games. But wasnt the consistent star he was in 2007-08. My guess is he lost his stamina (for whatever reason) and couldnt run out full games as a mid anymore.

Still, those two dominant seasons and his ability to extract big games when we needed him gets him in the top 10 for me. He beats out corey enright who was a far more comsistent player.

I already have bartel ahead of enright and taylor.

Chapman its a close one. They are pretty line ball. Ive ranked chapman one spot higher but could easily flip them. That still only moves bartel from 10 to 9 for me.

Im not ranking service to the team in my list. Thus the reason cameron is higher on my list then others.
Thought i read Taylor in your list. My mistake.

I got him ahead of Steve Johnson (although Johnno is another one who is underrated, One of Greatest half forward the game has seen). His best was unparalleled some his big games numbers were ridiculous. His game against Melbourne in 2011 where he had 34 touched 7 goals.

He's better than stewart as well. Stewart needs few more seasons to push ahead of Jimmy.

There are no wrong answers in this thread. Our top 10 are all AFL Hall of Famers. GFC immortals

Plus , and it’s a huge one , if he doesn’t go to Hayes at 1/4 time in the 09GF , we don’t win it IMHO

How could i miss this one...

This should go down in folklore. He actually said to the coaches (again his ability to read the game), i think Hayes is carving us up, i want to go on him. Absolutely took him out of the game. 16 tackles in a granny which is still the record.

His versatility and ability to win, is what sets him apart.

The brownlow was in the years he was a mid. He only won all australians in 2008 and 2007 in the two seasons he dominated as a mid.

After 2008 he changed roles. Never got near all australian again. Became inconsistent. Could still pull out some ripping matches in different roles and did so in big games. But wasnt the consistent star he was in 2007-08. My guess is he lost his stamina (for whatever reason) and couldnt run out full games as a mid anymore.

Still, those two dominant seasons and his ability to extract big games when we needed him gets him in the top 10 for me. He beats out corey enright who was a far more comsistent player.

Became incosistent? He lost his stamina? I think you're reading it wrong.

He was put where the team needed him to get the job done because he would do it better than anyone we had. His versatility is why he was moved. The coaches would have kept him as a starting rover if they didnt need to move him to fill gaps we potentially had. He sacrificed the sexy roles for the team to win.

Over the 3 grand finals he was our best performer. 2007 - 28/2g with a hard tag by Kane Cornes. 2009 shut down Hayes with 16 tackles. 2011 - 26/3g.

He was robbed of many AA's. AA's are starting mids awards. IMO he should have about 4 under his belt. Not the 2 he has.

He was runner up best and fairest 09 3rd in 11 and won the norm smith. 30 possesions in every final of 2010.

Robbo must have been sober when he put that together - solid effort ;)
Difficult task but here's mine :
Ablett
Selwood
Dangerfield
Bartel
Hawkins
Scarlett
Enright
Taylor
Chapman
Stewart

HM's - SJ , Cameron, Corey and Lawson Humphries ( in 8 years time !)
Screw it, let's go all the way!

Some time in 2032

1. Harley Reid
2. Max Holmes
3. Bailey Smith
4. Aaron Cadman
5. Oliver Dempsey
6. Tyson Stengle
7. Tanner Bruhn
8. Sam De Koning
9. Lawson Humphries
10. Shannon Neale

Honourable mention: Shaun 'Mr September' Mannagh.

In all seriousness....

1. GAJ
2. Selwood
3. Scarlett
4. Dangerfield
5. Hawkins
6. Bartel (all time favourite)
7. Stewart
8. Enright
9. Johnson
10. Taylor

Cameron gets into the top 10 if we're lucky enough to win another premiership this year IMO, likewise Danger jumps up to third if he becomes a premiership captain.

Screw it, let's go all the way!

Some time in 2032

1. Harley Reid
2. Max Holmes
3. Bailey Smith
4. Aaron Cadman
5. Oliver Dempsey
6. Tyson Stengle
7. Tanner Bruhn
8. Sam De Koning
9. Lawson Humphries
10. Shannon Neale

Honourable mention: Shaun 'Mr September' Mannagh.

In all seriousness....

1. GAJ
2. Selwood
3. Scarlett
4. Dangerfield
5. Hawkins
6. Bartel (all time favourite)
7. Stewart
8. Enright
9. Johnson
10. Taylor

Cameron gets into the top 10 if we're lucky enough to win another premiership this year IMO, likewise Danger jumps up to third if he becomes a premiership captain.

Solid list although....

You need to add Zach Butters to this list.. He's coming in 2026/7

1. David Johnson
2. Paul Kolouriotis
3. Henry Playfair
4. Kane Tenace
5. Kent Kingsley
6. Mark Blake
7. David Spriggs
8. Charlie Gardener
9. Esava Ratagolea
10. Mark O'Connor

1. David Johnson
2. Paul Kolouriotis
3. Henry Playfair
4. Kane Tenace
5. Kent Kingsley
6. Mark Blake
7. David Spriggs
8. Charlie Gardener
9. Esava Ratagolea
10. Mark O'Connor
What was Kent Kingsley’s middle name? I hope it wasn’t Kevin would be horrible initials.

Who else has played for the cats with the same initial first and last name?
Billy Brownless sort of but he has the name William really.

Good thread.

In regards to Paul Chapman, he was playing elite footy before the rest of the team clicked into gear.
Won the 2006 B+F as a pseudo CHF (sorta).

Matty Scarlett was a bit the same; he and Chapman would have walked into any team in the comp circa 2003-2006 (and Scarlett a good three years prior to that, too).

Anyway, I have:

Joel Selwood
Matthew Scarlett

as the two Cats who made the biggest impact on the club since 2000, from my observations.

After that, more or less:

Gary Ablett
Jimmy Bartel
Paul Chapman
Corey Enright
Patrick Dangerfield
Tom Hawkins
Steve Johnson
Harry Taylor

Joel Corey and Tom Stewart stiff, but then again so are at least half a dozen others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back