Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Scarlett was a top 3 player in numerous geelong finals. If they had a gary ayres medal in 2007 then scarlett probably wins it. Enright only 1 final where he was top 3 and in that one game scarlett was clearly ahead of him with one of the all time great defender finals.
You have no credibility on Enright matters.

I’d have Dangerfield no.1. Gaz Ablett was great from 07-10 for those 4 years. Came back and did well at half forward in 18-19.
Danger has been our best player from 16-22. And still very important now in the finals in 24.
Ablett had great years at the suns from 11-13 then half of 14. Probably better than cat years.
I think you are underplaying how great those 4 ablett years were. He could of won brownlows in all four of them. No one would of blinked an eye if he did. Danger could of only won brownlows in 2 of his.

I am on Stewart’s side as well, he has played in a backline where he has had to cover multiple positions and has managed to play attacking and defensively at such a high level since debut, geez if this is his worst season then that says something probably still top 5 best and fairest.

Good thread.

In regards to Paul Chapman, he was playing elite footy before the rest of the team clicked into gear.
Won the 2006 B+F as a pseudo CHF (sorta).
I think this is the thing for me. Kind of like Joel Corey, didn't stack up accolades compared to others and what he did get (2009 aside) was slightly out of kilter with the absolute success - B&F in 2006, second and final AA in 2010. But was absolutely one of the handful of our best players over that period, unlucky not to get the Norm in 2007, and a guy who set the standard in 06-07.

I think this is the thing for me. Kind of like Joel Corey, didn't stack up accolades compared to others and what he did get (2009 aside) was slightly out of kilter with the absolute success - B&F in 2006, second and final AA in 2010. But was absolutely one of the handful of our best players over that period, unlucky not to get the Norm in 2007, and a guy who set the standard in 06-07.
Joel corey has been a bit underrated since he retired. People have forgotton how good he was.

Joel corey has been a bit underrated since he retired. People have forgotton how good he was.
I think his return to fitness was an underrated part of the 2011 season. Finished second in the Carji.

You have no credibility on Enright matters.
Based on? Nothing.

If you dont have an argument to back up your views and revert to fallacies (like trying to attack credibility of the source also without any argument) then its usually because you are wrong.

Ive put foward reasons. No one has any counter reasons to dispute them. This is how we determine what is true or not. And the credibility and bias of the source is irrelevant.

Note the op also agreed with my assessment on stewart being better than enright which ironically you have also agreed with in the second post of the thread by claiming op nails it.

Last edited:
Chapman was the most clinical player I have ever seen.

Not fast, not tall, but absolutely never made a mistake when it was important. When he had the ball, I have never been more confident that he would make the right decision and execute the decision. And he did this while having the ball a lot. The closest thing we have to that in this team is Stengle, and he is a long way off chapman’s level and does not get nearly as much of the ball.
Plus he was tough as nails and a leader.

I get that Stewart and Cameron have greater personal accolades, but Chapman’s game style was never going to win awards. He was also competing for attention with the greatest combination of talent the game has even seen in that Geelong side of 2007-2011.

Cameron and Stewart stand out in our recent era more because they are 2 of the few stars in a system driven game plan. Chapman was in a team full of stars.
Jason Statham is what you get when you buy Paul Chapman on Temu.

Almost 30 possessions in a GF on a torn hamstring. That’s Dermie and Dipper in the 89 GF level of toughness.

Based on? Nothing.

If you dont have an argument to back up your views and revert to fallacies (like trying to attack credibility of the source also without any argument) then its usually because you are wrong.

Ive put foward reasons. No one has any counter reasons to dispute them. This is how we determine what is true or not. And the credibility and bias of the source is irrelevant.

Note the op also agreed with my assessment on stewart being better than enright which ironically you have also agreed with in the second post of the thread by claiming op nails it.
As I’ve stated, I didn’t interpret the OP as an ordered list. I disagree with it if it is in order and have explained that in subsequent posts.

I’m not going to waste time with you in Enright. You have no credibility on the topic. That is clear from your history of posts on it.

Mark Robinson's stab at the 10 best Geelong players this century (will be in tomorrow’s HUN):

Ablett
Scarlett
Dangerfield
Selwood
Bartel
Hawkins
Stewart
Enright
Johnson
Cameron

Thoughts? Ottens, Taylor, Chapman, Corey, Blicavs missed out, but hard to criticise Robbo’s top 10
Yeah, I think he's got it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'd go Chappy over SJ. Wouldn't go to war over it. Stevie J was brilliant but there were times he bit off more than he could chew (and sometimes too frequently). Chappy at his best rarely made a mistake and executed with such skill under high pressure, was so damaging.
I’d take Chappy over SJ any day.
Chapman - too tough, all business & a reason to lose the “handbaggers” tag vs flashy gun who had a great football brain but also had many brain fades.

Still pissed Chappy ended up at Essendon. 😢

Basing it on total career (projected career for a couple, but they've done enough), not just time with Hawkins.

Mine:

FB: Stewart, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Holmes, Dangerfield, Duncan
HF: Chapman, Cameron, Miers
FF: Johnson, Hawkins, Stengle
FOL: Ottens, Selwood, Ablett
IC: Bartel, Corey, Blicavs, Kelly, C.Guthrie(sub)

There are plenty of "tallish" general defenders there who can play third tall, or Blicavs can do that.

Likewise no real need for Mooney as a third key forward. Miers elite delivery to the others works better. Dangerfield and Bartel when they rotate forward are marking targets.

Holmes and Duncan can roll to half back. Stewart can rotate to midfield. Corey and Kelly are capable on the wing or in midfield. SJ and Chappy obviously are forward/mid splits too while Danger and Bartel (plus Ablett) are mid/forwards.

It'd be a pretty hard team to stop.

Basing it on total career (projected career for a couple, but they've done enough), not just time with Hawkins.

Mine:

There are plenty of "tallish" general defenders there who can play third tall, or Blicavs can do that.

Likewise no real need for Mooney as a third key forward. Miers elite delivery to the others works better. Dangerfield and Bartel when they rotate forward are marking targets.

Holmes and Duncan can roll to half back. Stewart can rotate to midfield. Corey and Kelly are capable on the wing or in midfield. SJ and Chappy obviously are forward/mid splits too while Danger and Bartel (plus Ablett) are mid/forwards.

It'd be a pretty hard team to stop.

Bartel bench? ummm.

Bartel bench? ummm.
The idea of players on bench vs field isn't me deciding player X has less value. But I chose Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood as the starting mids (any other combination would be surprising) and 6 genuine forwards in the starting forward positions. I know it's AFL gospel to put a midfielder on a forward flank. Bartel played there but was still primarily a midfielder.

Make your own team and explain how Bartel starting on the field makes it mind blowingly better.

If, for instance, you have concluded that I rate Miers/Stengle/Holmes/Duncan above Bartel/Corey/Blicavs/Kelly - you're focussing on the wrong thing AND also have come to a false conclusion.

Last edited:
I’d take Chappy over SJ any day.
Chapman - too tough, all business & a reason to lose the “handbaggers” tag vs flashy gun who had a great football brain but also had many brain fades.

Still pissed Chappy ended up at Essendon. 😢
Tough is sj winning us the 2011 grand final with no leg. When we were 3 goals down in the second and pies with all momentum it was sj who kicked a critical goal from outside 50 and then followed it up with a magical play to gift selwood a goal from the goal square. Turned the game.

Sj did the same thing in the 2nd qtr and early 4th of the 2007 prelim. When it was the pies getting on top it was sj who got us back into it.

Sjs mental toughness was through the roof.

Very hard to fault this side. Maybe lonergan for harley for better balance in defence even if harley was a slightly better player.

Holmes, miers and stengle possibly make this side if done 5 years from now. Hard to see who they would push out though other than smith.

Blicavs not making starting 22 sounds right. Just cant see a player you would push out for him. Maybe duncan? But then holmes, stengle and miers push back in.

Very hard to fault this side. Maybe lonergan for harley for better balance in defence even if harley was a slightly better player.

Holmes, miers and stengle possibly make this side if done 5 years from now. Hard to see who they would push out though other than smith.

Blicavs not making starting 22 sounds right. Just cant see a player you would push out for him. Maybe duncan? But then holmes, stengle and miers push back in.
Holmes has more runs on the board for Geelong than Smith. That's an easy swap.

Stengle should've been AA a 2nd time this season. That puts him ahead of Mooney, or fine if you want Mooney as a place holder until Stengle automatically replaces him. Mooney was a key forward, not a third tall. In terms of utilities Blicavs is more accomplished than Mooney. And I loved Mooney.

I don't think Harley or Lonergan is an automatic in. Mackie, Stewart and Milburn were/aren't hardly short statured. It's fine to have either Harley/Lonergan in but they aren't locks like a lot of other players are.

Mine:

Total career introduces an interesting one for mine... I'd have Steven King in over Ottens.

If you had 2000-2002 Steven King playing in our 2007-11 team, he would be a lock as the greatest ruckman Geelong's produced since Farmer.

Total career introduces an interesting one for mine... I'd have Steven King in over Ottens.

If you had 2000-2002 Steven King playing in our 2007-11 team, he would be a lock as the greatest ruckman Geelong's produced since Farmer.
I wouldnt go this far but glad to see some king appreciation. Was dominant during those years when tge clib was weak. The only geelong player to make starting ruck in the all australian side. He and ottens are very close to equal for me.

As I’ve stated, I didn’t interpret the OP as an ordered list. I disagree with it if it is in order and have explained that in subsequent posts.

I’m not going to waste time with you in Enright. You have no credibility on the topic. That is clear from your history of posts on it.
I cannot believe there are sections of the Geelong fanbase willingly underselling the greatness of Corey Enright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back