Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldnt go this far but glad to see some king appreciation. Was dominant during those years when tge clib was weak. The only geelong player to make starting ruck in the all australian side. He and ottens are very close to equal for me.

Both great players.

I'd give Ottens the edge just because he lifted his level (which was already good) to even greater heights in big games.

Both great players.

I'd give Ottens the edge just because he lifted his level (which was already good) to even greater heights in big games.
Just re-watched 2007 PF and we don't break the drought without Ottens performance in that PF. Got us over the line.

Watching Enright’s highlights on The Front Bar reminds you how bloody good he was. With Stewart, remarkable we’ve enjoyed 2 of the best HBF’s in history in the past 20 years.
Like having Sobers (1954-74) and then when he retires the next match you replace him with debuting Vivian Richards (1974-1991).

We've been so lucky to strike HBF gold back to back like that.

Like having Sobers (1954-74) and then when he retires the next match you replace him with debuting Vivian Richards (1974-1991).

Have to look it up but what was the gap between Enright retiring and Stewart debuting?

Watching Enright’s highlights on The Front Bar reminds you how bloody good he was. With Stewart, remarkable we’ve enjoyed 2 of the best HBF’s in history in the past 20 years.

I like how the player Boris nominated as his toughest opponent was a forward he routinely beat who averaged barely more than a goal a game against him across 20-odd games.

King.

Ablett snr 1982-1987
Ablett jnr 2002-2020

The reign of the 44 has been supreme since 99

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still pissed Chappy ended up at Essendon. 😢
Pissed off? Yeah, James Kelly ended up there too. I remember too, it was after the doping scandal. Essendon couldn't trade and nobody wanted to go there anyway. Jobe (or 'Jabs' as he became known as afterwards) Watson got his Brownlow taken off him and the club was in sh*t street. Mark Thompson went back to coach his old club and a few Cat veterans pitched in to help their old coach at his old club.

Interesting times!

Both great players.

It is a little harsh, because by the time we were playing games that mattered, King’s body was shot.

That said, I think he was the best ruckman of all four in the 07 GF.

Honestly, if he had played in the era of sports science and workload management, he would have had a very different career.
Yeah, he came in the in-between era. Not the old-school one where everyone had a job outside the club and you could drink and smoke after a game, and not the regulated and professional sports science regimen of today either.

It was his own fault, though - he had a 1-year offer to stay, he thought he had 2 years left in him.

(Narrator: He did not have 2 years left in him).
Yeah, Chappy was at the end. James Kelly played some good games for Essendon though. He played his 300th overall game there and the bastards beat us!

It was his own fault, though - he had a 1-year offer to stay, he thought he had 2 years left in him.

(Narrator: He did not have 2 years left in him).
Chappy arguably cost Geelong a tilt at the 2013 premiership, with (a) his dodgy hamstring during 2013, and (b) getting himself reported and suspended after the semi final. He could have been the difference between winning and losing. The point I'm making is he should not have been calling the shots about his next contract, but he turned 'selfish'.

Chappy arguably cost Geelong a tilt at the 2013 premiership, with (a) his dodgy hamstring during 2013, and (b) getting himself reported and suspended after the semi final. He could have been the difference between winning and losing. The point I'm making is he should not have been calling the shots about his next contract, but he turned 'selfish'.

Absolutely convinced we beat the Hawks in the Prelim if he plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back