Preview Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand his tackle count is low, but isn’t his job to create space and options? Sure, if the ball goes to ground in his vicinity he has a duty to tackle but my bet is he recognises that other players alongside him have that role and his is to escape the congestion and put himself in a dangerous position. That’s his craft and role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mind his tackle count.

Look at how many uncontested marks his opponent takes.

I can't see Neale out. No second ruck aside from blitz who was woeful in the ruck last week and also you're playing one kpf instead of two, which isn't an awful idea but not a structure we've played in about 4 years.

Plus, Neale needs games.

The problem is every possibility looks unlikely.

It's unlikely that they don't bring Mannagh in. It's unlikely that they leave out O Henry or Rohan given his performance last week. It's unlikely they rest any of Close, Miers, Stengle or Dempsey given none have been rested so far. It's unlikely they drop Neale. And it's unlikely they play all 8 of those guys plus Cameron in the same team.

Something has to give. Either somebody misses out of they massively rejig the team to fit everyone in.

Also averaging half a goal more per game than Hawkins at the same age. At that point Hawkins was a 50 odd game player being fed by a group of elite premiership midfielders
We love to dismiss our young players early in here.

Neale may never reach the heights of Hawkins, but how many do?

The argument is similar (and regular) re Jhye Clark. Joel Selwood aside, how many of our former stars were clocking up 20 touches a game? I thought James Kelly might have but no, it’s none of them, and none of those stars of the game had to deal with being sub or regularly playing 55% game time. It’s not like Gaz, Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, etc had to contend with a star studded ones team either, we were quite ordinary early 2000s before they became who they did.

We’re in transition mode, it’s not always fun!

The problem is every possibility looks unlikely.

It's unlikely that they don't bring Mannagh in. It's unlikely that they leave out O Henry or Rohan given his performance last week. It's unlikely they rest any of Close, Miers, Stengle or Dempsey given none have been rested so far. It's unlikely they drop Neale. And it's unlikely they play all 8 of those guys plus Cameron in the same team.

Something has to give. Either somebody misses out of they massively rejig the team to fit everyone in.
I don't think they're all equally unlikely though.

Ollie Henry in is less likely in my opinion. I don't think Mannagh is a midfielder unlike some, but I would rest Clark for him.

I think Neale going out is struck by lightning territory for probabilities.

We love to dismiss our young players early in here.

Neale may never reach the heights of Hawkins, but how many do?

The argument is similar (and regular) re Jhye Clark. Joel Selwood aside, how many of our former stars were clocking up 20 touches a game? I thought James Kelly might have but no, it’s none of them, and none of those stars of the game had to deal with being sub or regularly playing 55% game time. It’s not like Gaz, Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, etc had to contend with a star studded ones team either, we were quite ordinary early 2000s before they became who they did.

We’re in transition mode, it’s not always fun!
I'm having a great time tbh. The older blokes are underperforming against my expectations but the young blokes are picking up slack to the point our results are pretty much meeting expectations.

Also averaging half a goal more per game than Hawkins at the same age. At that point Hawkins was a 50 odd game player being fed by a group of elite premiership midfielders
Not sure how relevant a comparison is anyway, Hawk was pick of his draft and a club champion, but you’re comparing career averages 18-21yo, up to not at the same age.

Looks to me like Hawk averaged nearly 1.6 goals a game when he was 21 and Neale has averaged just over 0.8. Not unreasonable give their respective games played and teams they played with.

From Hawthorn website:
"Hawthorn trails Geelong 76 to 92 in the head-to-head between the clubs, with one draw (in 1963). The clubs have played on every Easter Monday since 2010(except 2011 when it was on Easter Tuesday and 2020 due to Covid), with Hawthorn winning in 2015, 2018 and 2022.

Back in Round 3 2006, when the two clubs met at Kardinia Park on Easter Saturday, the Hawks delivered a stunning 52-point upset win. Hawthorn led by seven points at half-time, before blowing the Cats away to win 15.11.101 to 7.7.49. The Brownlow votes went to Hodge, Mitchell and Vandenberg – all Hawthorn captains.

Hawthorn had an outstanding record at Kardinia Park in the mid-late 1990s, winning four times in five seasons, all as underdogs and all by narrow margins: five points (1995), two (1996), six (1997) and two again (1999). These four victories contributed to a remarkable 14 seasons from 1987 and 2000, when the Hawks had 10 wins by less than two goals in games against the Cats, including in three Finals. In the 25 games between the clubs in those years, the Hawks won 20 and Geelong just five (none in close games)."
Those are numbers and results that will always rankle for me, and was the catalyst behind my then 'rant of a 40 y/o Cat fan against Hawthorn'. Those always narrow wins in particular when Ayers (bloody Hawk plant he was!) coached the Cats all at K.P were just awful to experience. And that 2006 game, the Hawks just clicked that day, I recall Matty Egan going back to take a mark, spilling it as he hit the ground hard (a bit like Zuthrie against the Blues 2 weeks ago), not being paid and some Hawk seagulls got the goal late in the 3rd, and then the last quarter was a procession.

Hopefully we are right on our game, we will need to be as Hawthorn are in form and are always a challenge. But I'm hoping a corner was turned last week, and Geelong can prevail.

Those are numbers and results that will always rankle for me, and was the catalyst behind my then 'rant of a 40 y/o Cat fan against Hawthorn'. Those always narrow wins in particular when Ayers (bloody Hawk plant he was!) coached the Cats all at K.P were just awful to experience. And that 2006 game, the Hawks just clicked that day, I recall Matty Egan going back to take a mark, spilling it as he hit the ground hard (a bit like Zuthrie against the Blues 2 weeks ago), not being paid and some Hawk seagulls got the goal late in the 3rd, and then the last quarter was a procession.

Hopefully we are right on our game, we will need to be as Hawthorn are in form and are always a challenge. But I'm hoping a corner was turned last week, and Geelong can prevail.
When I think Hawks my mind drifts back to the last quarter the Cats played in 1963 and the world looks so much brighter.

My thoughts were just play Jye Clark every week and pump games into him for the rest of the year but if Mannagh is to play this week and I think he should then Jye is the one to come out for him. Bringing Ollie Henry in is a lot harder. I do not like the idea of dropping O'Connor as he offers a lot of versatility off the bench. He can play down back. on ball and on a wing. Henry is forward pocket or nowhere. He is the one that I think can actually benefit with time in the VFL to develop some other strings to his bow. At the moment he is to one dimensional.

If it was me I would just make the one change but I suspect MC will bring Henry in as well

In: Mannagh
Out: Clark

When I think Hawks my mind drifts back to the last quarter the Cats played in 1963 and the world looks so much brighter.
Just how bloody old are you. You sounding like you've watched Hickey play ;)

Not sure how relevant a comparison is anyway, Hawk was pick of his draft and a club champion, but you’re comparing career averages 18-21yo, up to not at the same age.

Looks to me like Hawk averaged nearly 1.6 goals a game when he was 21 and Neale has averaged just over 0.8. Not unreasonable give their respective games played and teams they played with.
Yeah I was comparing the specific year not career averages. He's doing better that we give him credit for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what scenario would have SDK matched up on Henry in training? Stanley back in and Henry forward? Or maybe I’m overthinking

1st ruck vs 2nd ruck...

Was that in a previous life, YPO?

As stated above, my memory of the 1963 GF is very vague. I have watched it since, have always loved beating Hawks. I'm keeping the lid firmly shut for this game + have an extra bottle of Bubbles, win or lose 🥂 🥂 🍾 🍾 🥂 🥂

Mate I hate to burst your bubble but every week is their GF at the moment. Every week Im waiting for their bubble to burst and the kids to run out of steam and every week they are surprising me.

Upset Geelong this week then its Freo, which will be their grand final. After that its Collingwood in front of 75k, which will be their grand final.

Mitchell and Sicily have said they are just relishing games meaning something for the first time in years and the fans are just enjoying the ride. This year.

I dare say Geelong have a lot more to lose this week, you would hope they come out breathing fire and using their bigger bodies to effect early.

Good luck.
That is a heck of a lot of bubbles bursting.

Watch out for debris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back