Preview Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Knevitt starting as defensive insurance. And Ollie Henry the sub for team balance.
Henry as sub gives us good options, if Neale is struggling forward Henry can come in for him, if Knevitt struggles on the wing he can come in for him and Henry can go wing or Henry sits deeper and Dempsey goes up the field, the only issue with Henry as sub is if we need to sub in for a mid or defender, its a bigger issue as while I think Clark and O'Connor deserved to miss this week we should have brough in Mannagh and another mid [be it Clohesy, Hardie or Parfitt].

I like Knevitt starting as defensive insurance. And Ollie Henry the sub for team balance.
Yeah not overly keen to see Henry, Neale, Jez and Rohan all in the same forward line at once.

Mannagh with his ground-level opportunist skills would be a better fit than Henry... but that's just my opinion.

I just had a quick look back at the first quarter of the VFL GF and he played high half forward pushing up to the contest basically the same as last week. Apart from 1 late against Port Melbourne I'm not sure I've seen him take a centre bounce. I don't really get why you're convinced he's a midfielder.

Personally I'd give Dempsey some centre square time if one of them has to go in there because he dominated VFL last year the times he played inside mid and I'm pretty sure that's where he'll end up.

Im aware hes not played midfield for us the last few games because ive watched them. But he consistently he has played a lot as a primary midfielder the last 3-4 years which is a lot more than the other forwards i mentioned have.

I agree id put dempsey in the midfield as he has elite potential more than just about anyone on our list. But i would also play mannagh as a wing/inside mid over putting miers, close, henry, rohan etc in there and thats the most logical way they all fit in the side.

Bews looms as a late in for Duncan to sit on one of those dangerous small forwards I reckon.

Breust has basically been a permanent sub and is being carried to the end. Ginnivan is in doubt to play and watson is good but a kid.
Id be more worried about chol and lewis tbh (which is why i want sdk back and stanley rucking)

Here's the Hawthorn team for those interested

ROUND 17 TEAM
Geelong v Hawthorn
Saturday 6 July
GMHBA Stadium, 4.35pm

In:
Mitch Lewis, Luke Breust
Out: James Sicily (injured), Calsher Dear (injured)

B:
Jack Scrimshaw, Sam Frost, Karl Amon
HB: Changkuoth Jiath, Josh Weddle, Harry Morrison
C: Jarman Impey, Cam Mackenzie, Conor Nash
HF: Blake Hardwick, Jai Newcombe, Jack Ginnivan
F: Luke Breust, Mitch Lewis, Jack Gunston
R: Lloyd Meek, Will Day, Dylan Moore

INT: Mabior Chol, Connor Macdonald, Nick Watson, James Worpel, Massimo D'Ambrosio

EMER: Seamus Mitchell, Max Ramsden, Jai Serong

Thanks. I went over there to get the tea, but they've nicknamed their players i.e. Punky and Wiz.
Dawks forum is Short Pants Schoolboy 101.

We on Conor Nash watch here?

Haven't really heard anything for a while so I doubt it.

Hoping Stewart remains in the MF.
SDK + Blitz to ruck, unless Stanely as late in, possible considering Meek is lauded for Hawks recent resurgence.
Thrilled Mannagh has returned + just has to play a whole game.
Like many, prefer OHenry for sub, as forward line is heavy.
JHenry on Mabior Chol? Perhaps Stanley is required for his pinch hitting in the ruck? Stanley will have to be switched on.

Comparing 2024
Inside 50s:
Geelong
54.2 Average
813 Total

Hawthorn
52.7 Average
791 Total

Efficiency Inside 50:
Geelong
47.4%

Hawthorn
48.5%

Centre Clearances:
Geelong
12.5 Average
187 Total

Hawthorn
10.5 Average
158 Total

Contested Possessions:
Geelong
136.4 Average
2046 Total

Hawthorn
130.3 Average
1954 Total

Uncontested Possessions:
Geelong
202.4 Average
3036 Total

Hawthorn
217.5 Average
3263 Total

Thanks. I went over there to get the tea, but they've nicknamed their players i.e. Punky and Wiz.
Dawks forum is Short Pants Schoolboy 101.

:joycat: :joycat: :joycat: :joycat: :joycat: :joycat:
Where as we have sensible nicknames:
Messi
Danger
Chuckie
Jezza
Doritos
Scratcher
Shark

Plus, they are the Poos+Wees 🤣 🤣 🤣

Feeling really excited for Gary 'Chuckie' Rohan's 200th game + a huge win is deserved to honour our favourite ranga.

I think many Geelong supporters have a soft spot for our rangas.

1720100412607.png

This has to be the sweetest photo of Rohan

1720100519858.png

Attachments

• gary rohan by Iggy.jpg
    gary rohan by Iggy.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 48
I think it’s only him or Mannagh to be honest
I personally don’t think it will be Humpries or Henry
I think they might pick a player for Knevitt to tag and start him on the field the way they did last week. Probably Dylan Moore.

Henry I just think being the week back from injury they might ease him into it and I think having him start on the field starts us with too many forwards and not enough mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just had a quick look back at the first quarter of the VFL GF and he played high half forward pushing up to the contest basically the same as last week. Apart from 1 late against Port Melbourne I'm not sure I've seen him take a centre bounce. I don't really get why you're convinced he's a midfielder.

Personally I'd give Dempsey some centre square time if one of them has to go in there because he dominated VFL last year the times he played inside mid and I'm pretty sure that's where he'll end up.
Dempsey would be an outside mid IMO. But also could be a generational wingman, the way he glides and moves into space is way beyond his years. Flower esque.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Dempsey would be an outside mid IMO. But also could be a generational wingman, the way he glides and moves into space is way beyond his years. Flower esque.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Agree he's on track to be a brilliant winger but also they've thrown him on ball in the vfl and he's dominated. Everything else he's done in the 2s has translated so I wouldn't at all be surprised if next year we see him do a substantial amount of work in the gym and come out and play like connor rozee

Breust has basically been a permanent sub and is being carried to the end. Ginnivan is in doubt to play and watson is good but a kid.
Id be more worried about chol and lewis tbh (which is why i want sdk back and stanley rucking)
I'd say Breust will start.
Hardwick a chance to play forward.
Then you've got Dylan Moore, McDonald and Gunston as 3rd tall.

Gonna be a cracking contest. Can't wait.

Im aware hes not played midfield for us the last few games because ive watched them. But he consistently he has played a lot as a primary midfielder the last 3-4 years which is a lot more than the other forwards i mentioned have.

I agree id put dempsey in the midfield as he has elite potential more than just about anyone on our list. But i would also play mannagh as a wing/inside mid over putting miers, close, henry, rohan etc in there and thats the most logical way they all fit in the side.
It seems strange to play him as a midfielder when he hasn't played there at all for the VFL team though. Why wouldn't they have at least trialed it in the 2s if they were considering it in the AFL?

Granted, Stewart moved to the midfield full time last week without a 'trial', so maybe it happens. But it still seems unlikely.

The stats are just that they tell their story but this season I have see him pull down a big ruckman and James Sicily both resulting in Cats goals as I said he's a work in progress both with and without the ball and improvement should come with maturity in our system keep your powder dry.
Wow he tackled two players in an entire season. The sicily tackle was in April.

Rohan has historically got low tackle counts but we all know that his pressure impact goes beyond that. Lots of corralling and chasing and applying inferred pressure.

Doesn't apply so much to O.Henry but tackle counts don't tell whole story was the point.
So ollie henrys defensive pressure is even worse then his attrocious tackle count.

The biggest problem with henry isnt even his defensive pressure. Its that he doesnt compete in the air unless he has got a perfect sit (cos he is too weak and small to be a tall foward) and his opponent destroys us in the aerial contests

Oh and his goal kicking aint great. 1.6 goals a game is nothing special.

Last edited:
Without going seedy and checking the facts I reckon Breust has a very good record against us. Need a tight rein on him.
Blame Sam Newman. When Breust had the yips, Sam coached him + the improvement was massive.

It seems strange to play him as a midfielder when he hasn't played there at all for the VFL team though. Why wouldn't they have at least trialed it in the 2s if they were considering it in the AFL?

Granted, Stewart moved to the midfield full time last week without a 'trial', so maybe it happens. But it still seems unlikely.
They have to play someone in the midfield though, we've got too many forwards out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back