Jul 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
First Round

• Melbourne – Jack Watts
One of the most open number 1 picks in recent history, Melbourne aren’t sold on Naitanui, and are desperate for genuine KPP, and are about an 80% chance to go with Jack Watts.

• West Coast – Nick Naitanui
West Coast will be delighted to see Nick here, and should pick him up. West Coast could surprise with a player like Hurley, Hartlett or even McKernan, but they won’t take Rich – they have question marks over his work ethic.

• Fremantle – Daniel Rich
Freo will take the local boy if Naita is gone, however, if Naita is still here, then don’t be too surprised to see Rich slide as far as the Kangaroos pick.

• Port – Michael Hurley
Absolute lock in IMO. Exactly what Port Need.

• Essendon – Steele Sidebottom
My first (of a few) bolter here. Essendon need some class in their midfield, and IMO Steele has the best kick in the draft. I rate him highly. Very highly.

• Carlton – Sam Blease
My next and probably biggest bolter, Sam Blease will go first round IMO, and Carlton are just the team to be looking for this sort of player to compliment their young midfield. Sam is very, very quick, and breaks the lines.

• Richmond – Shaun McKernan
Riewoldt is good, but he will work best IMO with another big body. McKernan is just the man to replace Richo.

• Adelaide – Hamish Hartlett
Adelaide are impossible to read with their picks, infact, I reckon we could go with a KPP here, however I just don’t know which one. We overlooked the local boy (Ebert) last year, but Hartlett has a few more weapons than Ebert and he should land here if he has been over looked thus far.

• Kangaroos – John Butcher
Another bolter, John looks very, very promising. Hasn’t had the kudos of some of the other KPP’s, but IMO he has just as good natural forward instincts as any. Kanga’s should be looking at this kind of player.

• St Kilda – Jack Ziebell
Big body, grunt, class. St Kilda seem to love this kinds of players, and I have him pencilled in here at this stage.

• Brisbane – Stephen Hill
Another one that might surprise a few – Stephen is a very talented footballer. Some WA insiders say he could be the best of the WA crop this year, and I tend to agree. He will be a gem. Brisbane will be looking to inject his pace.

• Collingwood – Nick Heyne
Bit of an X Factor with bucket loads of talent, Collingwood seem to love the bolters and Heyney could be their man!

• Sydney – Tyrone Vickery
Sydney need KPP’s, and Tyrone is the next best available.

• Hawthorn – Matt De Boer
Most would’ve had him higher, earlier in the year, but his form hasn’t been as good as we know it can be. I’m not sold on him, but he should go around this pick. (Wouldn’t surprise to see him slide out of the first 2 rounds even.) Will either be a 200 gamer or a flop IMO.

• Western Bulldogs – Ayce Cordy
Ayce is a long term gun. Someone will force the doggies into giving up their first rounder to secure him F/S.

• Geelong – David Zaharakis
He is the Geelong type. Tough, hard, skilful, honest and runs all day. Unlucky not to be drafted last year, this guy is an all round gem. Any club who ends up with him should be very happy.

Priority Picks
  • Melbourne – Lewis Johnston
If Lewis Johnston is still around here, he will go. No ifs, no buts. Melbourne are MAD keen on him.

• West Coast – Aaron Cornelius
Cornelius is your honest KPP. Hard working and is almost always there to deliver. West Coast will be looking for the player who leads up the ground to compliment Notte and Kennedy, Cornelius is their man. Strong hands, if only he was a few cm taller, he’d probably go a lot higher.

• Fremantle – Chris Yarran
I’m not sold on Chris, infact, I probably wouldn’t even touch him personally till about the 3rd or 4th round, but Freo probably will.

Second Round (Up to 30)
  • Melbourne – Mitch Robinson
After securing 2 of the best KPP’s in the draft, Melbourne will be looking for a midfielder. Robinson is as good as any.

• West Coast – Tom Swift
I still highly rate him, despite his absence from a lot of footy this year. Will be a gun. West Coast should be might happy with Naita, Cornelius and Swift.

• Fremantle – Jordan Lisle
Freo have taken 2 smalls and its time to get some height into the side. Lisle is one of the most flexible tall’s in the draft. Can play pretty much anywhere. Reads the ball brilliantly IMO, and will be a very serviceable footballer.

• Port – Jarred Redden
Port need height, height, height. They need the next best ruck, considering Lade and Brogan are ageing and their younger rucks aren’t exactly lock ins just yet. Redden is a smart footballer and is a very good get for Port here.

• Essendon – Jordan Roughead
Similar to Port, the Bombers need a bit of height with Lloyd and Lucas retiring. Roughead is a goer, and is also a very smart footballer, whose versatility should prove a weapon.

• Carlton – Tom Lynch
After securing Blease early, their next immediate need is key position. Tom Lynch is next best available.

• Richmond – Nick Suban
Suban was rated highly, but now is a bit ‘meh’. He has a lot of talent, just needs to put it all together and produce great football. Enough talent to see him up this high IMO.

• Adelaide – Jackson Trengove
It’s fair to say Trengove draws a very divided opinion. Some love him and have him top 10, others see him sliding right-out. I see him sliding right out, however, on what I have seen of him, he is a very, very good footballer…just in the in between height. Any club should be happy with him if they took him anywhere up to pick 8.

Just on this pick (I am a Crows Supporter so I get to put a bit extra in this pick ;)), I would really love to see us take Tom Rockliff here. I only have Trengove placed here as we took Hartlett with pick 8.

• Kangaroos – Tom Rockliff
Rockstar is my favourite player in the draft. Will be a GUN IMO, and any club that picks him up has an absolute gem. Has the best goal sense in the draft, as well as the most accurate kick for goal. A nice mix of Porplyzia, Steve Johnson with some clearance magic of Sam Mitchell.

• St Kilda – Jamie Sheahan
Not many have him going too high, but I was mightily impressed with some of the footy he produced at the champs. St Kilda would do well to get him.

• Brisbane – Clancee Pearce
Another who played some great footy in the champs, I reckon Brisbane would be all over him.

Gay that the formatting turned out like that, sorry, but anyway, that IS in order.

I only did the top 30 as any further than that is just a game of Keno.

Is Butcher eligible?

Personally I hope Hurley falls to us, but if not the best of the mids makes sense. Not sure if we'd specifically target a forward with our second pick, we do have Gumbleton, Hooker and Neagle. That pick will probably be a mid if we go tall first, otherwise I suspect it will be simply best available.

Not sure if you don't understand how the priority pick system works, or what he was trying to do, but I'd be VERY surprised if none of the clubs end up with priority picks.

First Round

• Essendon – Steele Sidebottom
My first (of a few) bolter here. Essendon need some class in their midfield, and IMO Steele has the best kick in the draft. I rate him highly. Very highly.

Would think they would take Hartlett of Ziebel

• Carlton – Sam Blease
My next and probably biggest bolter, Sam Blease will go first round IMO, and Carlton are just the team to be looking for this sort of player to compliment their young midfield. Sam is very, very quick, and breaks the lines.

Umm, good talent but about 20 spots to high IMO.

• Adelaide – Hamish Hartlett
Adelaide are impossible to read with their picks, infact, I reckon we could go with a KPP here, however I just don’t know which one. We overlooked the local boy (Ebert) last year, but Hartlett has a few more weapons than Ebert and he should land here if he has been over looked thus far.

Will not be availble at this pick

• Kangaroos – John Butcher
Another bolter, John looks very, very promising. Hasn’t had the kudos of some of the other KPP’s, but IMO he has just as good natural forward instincts as any. Kanga’s should be looking at this kind of player.

Not eligible

Otherwise good effort

WC should take Yarran if available. It will be a tough choice between him and Cornelius because i rate them both. We have more of a need for a small forward so we would go for Yarran.

Blease might just bolt, but not that high, although he'd look good in a Carlton jumper though. Lynch in the 20's would be a good get as well. Also, as other posters have mentioned, Butcher isn't available this year. Nice effort though, and you've obviously put some thought into your selections. A little different from the other ones I have seen on BF.

Nice effort in giving us something different from the norm. :thumbsu:

Happy with who you have Melbourne taking... Watts, Johnston and Robinson would be a fantastic draft for us IMO. Just interested in your line about Johnston with Melbourne being "MAD keen on him". Do you have inside word on this, or is it speculation on your part based on where our list is at?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could work out like that, but as an Eagles fan I'd take Rich over Naita, and Yarran over Corneleus.

i feel the same way, wce will pick rich of natinui anyday esepically with vossy coming over to help fast track his development, i also would want yarran before corneleus as well mainly becuase we need a small crumbing forward, wouldnt mind Walters either. But RICH WILL GO TO EAGLES

i would also be very happy with Swift at pick 20

my ideal draft would be
1st pick - Rich
2nd Pick - Yarran
3rd pick - Swfit
4th pick - garrett??? only if we dont get yarran

Who is the "wonder" kid plz enlighten me ??

Maverick Weller – The 16-year-old won 15 disposals – not looking out of place. He looks very composed, uses the ball well and makes good decisions. I'm really looking forward to watching him play in Queensland in a few weeks' time, when the under 16 championships are on. He played under 16s as a bottom-age player last year, so I think these two under 18 matches will help him in the bigger picture. -- Source - Afl.com.au

Maverick Weller – The 16-year-old won 15 disposals – not looking out of place. He looks very composed, uses the ball well and makes good decisions. I'm really looking forward to watching him play in Queensland in a few weeks' time, when the under 16 championships are on. He played under 16s as a bottom-age player last year, so I think these two under 18 matches will help him in the bigger picture. -- Source - Afl.com.au

And people thought Steele Sidebottom was an awesome name, people are going to have field day with this kid

Where's Goose?

i would also be very happy with Swift at pick 20

my ideal draft would be
1st pick - Rich
2nd Pick - Yarran
3rd pick - Swfit
4th pick - garrett??? only if we dont get yarran

If Walters was around with our 4th Pick id snap him up fast!

Rich, Yarran, Swift, Walters would be one of our greatest drafts ever. All just pure quality & WA boys..but it will be a long shot especially Yarran with our PP. We can dream cant we :thumbsu:

I hope we grab Hartlett or Johnston if Hurley and Ziebell are gone and the draft works out like this.

Trengove or Suban with our second pick would do me.

Tigers won't finish below Carlton and will finish ninth or tenth.

Richmond have good mids and talls such as McGuane, Moore, Thursfield, Foley, Cotchin, Tambling, Hughes, Riewoldt, Morton and Hughes, so I think they will go for a mobile and 200 cm plus ruck/forward such as Vickery if they get the chance.

Nice work but butcher not eligible and there is no priority picks.
Apologies on Butcher, I'll edit it when I redo this closer to draft day.

Hmmm, Adelaide get picks 8 and 27, seems about right.

Adelaide supporter's opinion. Adelaide somehow manage to snare Hartlett and Trengove with those picks, not likely
I reckon Trengove will be a slider, and I know Matt Rendell is keen on him. If I was doing this draft myself, I would've taken Rockliff over Trengove (and stated as much), so it's not me being biased.

Could work out like that, but as an Eagles fan I'd take Rich over Naita, and Yarran over Corneleus.
You could be right, but there's an inkling around the place that Rich could slide a bit due to his percieved lack of effort, which could stem from his inability to work hard enough to shake a tag.

Blease might just bolt, but not that high, although he'd look good in a Carlton jumper though. Lynch in the 20's would be a good get as well. Also, as other posters have mentioned, Butcher isn't available this year. Nice effort though, and you've obviously put some thought into your selections. A little different from the other ones I have seen on BF.
Yeh, I probably have Blease a little high, just wanted something a little different.

Nice effort in giving us something different from the norm. :thumbsu:

Happy with who you have Melbourne taking... Watts, Johnston and Robinson would be a fantastic draft for us IMO. Just interested in your line about Johnston with Melbourne being "MAD keen on him". Do you have inside word on this, or is it speculation on your part based on where our list is at?
Possibly ;). Basically if Johnston was still available a this pick, he won't go past it.

I agree Rockcliff will be an absolute gun. I don't understand why you have him as low as 28. I rate him on par with Zaharakis, and I think you even have him too low.
The draft is so strong right through to pick 30 that anyone from 20-30 can lay claim to being a lot higher. If I had Rocky in around 10-15, then someone else drops out and then other people would be saying 'why isn't X a lot higher??'.

I'd love Zaharakis, but I think clubs will go for players with something a bit extra if you get what I mean (see Andy Otten last year).

Having said that, I reckon Zaharakis is ready from day 1 next year, and will be the Rhys Palmer of dreamteam in 09.

i reckon you've gone too far towards what the clubs need on some picks. most of the top 10 will go on best available, not so much whether a particular side needs a forward, defender etc.

but a top effort to do the work to put it together. and i like people who go with a few bolters - add's some individuality to a lot of otherwise similar threads.

i reckon you've gone too far towards what the clubs need on some picks. most of the top 10 will go on best available, not so much whether a particular side needs a forward, defender etc.

but a top effort to do the work to put it together. and i like people who go with a few bolters - add's some individuality to a lot of otherwise similar threads.
Yeh, I could have.

Basically what I've done is about 50% where I rank these players (it's not my top 30 though, a few players would be in different spots if it was), 40% what I think clubs will need and 10% what I think clubs will do.

Remove this Banner Ad

CC's Draft Prospectus 2008 - Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back