Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one center clearance in the 1st and the 3rd.
Something to improve on for the boys.
Would love to see stats on who are our most successful centre bounce attendees. I'm not talking about which individual actually wins the centre clearance, more about who are our starting 4 when we win or lose centre clearances. Like, what is each midfielder's win-loss record?

I'm sure Champion Data track this but are too high and mighty to share it with us plebs.

I imagine the choice is between Berry and Zac and they doubt Bailey has the tank or the discipline to play wing. So Berry ends up stuck out there even tho he'd be much better in the guts, as would the team.
Bailey has been in the team for a few weeks and he's been playing mostly half forward. With Ashcroft coming back I expected him to be the big feature that pushed Berry to the wing again. It seemed an interesting choice to put Bailey in there when he has never really been a mainstay and we were getting absolutely creamed, which is why it felt a bit predetermined, but we won't go into the flexibility of our coaching staff in this thread ;)

You are probably right on them not trusting Bailey on the wing, looks like Ashcroft filled Fletchers role (when he was moved down back). It is a question of how many of those attacking half forwards can we hold. Hopefully Bails gets into a better vein of form and he did show some upticks last week. The longer term question is does giving him more time in there waste opportunities for Ashcroft, or does it play Rayner out of form being stuck as the third tall (which he started as last week).

I think in the longer-term Ashcroft plays more midfield time.
The coaches may slowly improve his present 21 % CBA's to around the 44% from last year. Not a given though.
In the meantime, he is learning the wing role which under Fagan is not see ball get ball which Will would be used to doing.
His balance of TOG i imaging is forward.

When Berry was getting high CBA %, Dunkley and McCluggage % dropped
Below the last 5 games CBA % with 2024 % 2023 season average %.
Figures taken from https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/?team=BRL&season=2024

A good position to be in. Do you want more Berry and less of the others. Some may say yes others may say no.
Berry may get some run with roles but not doing it all the time throws the opposition off a little.
Being less predictable can only help. Coaches can always change things up during the game.
Bailey and Dunkley are pretty much getting the same % average as in 2023. Neale not really affected.

PlayerLast 5 games CBA's %2024 Average CBA %2023 Average CBA %
Berry86, 68, 76, 35, 0346
Dunkley72, 76, 65, 88, 847880
McCluggage31, 37, 43, 46, 485442
Bailey14, 21, 22, 12, 392223
Rayner14, 16, 19, 12, 19248
Ashcroftn/a, n/a, n/a, 23, 192144

I think in the longer-term Ashcroft plays more midfield time.
The coaches may slowly improve his present 21 % CBA's to around the 44% from last year. Not a given though.
In the meantime, he is learning the wing role which under Fagan is not see ball get ball which Will would be used to doing.
His balance of TOG i imaging is forward.

When Berry was getting high CBA %, Dunkley and McCluggage % dropped
Below the last 5 games CBA % with 2024 % 2023 season average %.
Figures taken from https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/?team=BRL&season=2024

A good position to be in. Do you want more Berry and less of the others. Some may say yes others may say no.
Berry may get some run with roles but not doing it all the time throws the opposition off a little.
Being less predictable can only help. Coaches can always change things up during the game.
Bailey and Dunkley are pretty much getting the same % average as in 2023. Neale not really affected.

PlayerLast 5 games CBA's %2024 Average CBA %2023 Average CBA %
Berry86, 68, 76, 35, 0346
Dunkley72, 76, 65, 88, 847880
McCluggage31, 37, 43, 46, 485442
Bailey14, 21, 22, 12, 392223
Rayner14, 16, 19, 12, 19248
Ashcroftn/a, n/a, n/a, 23, 192144

One centre clearance for Bailey over the last five games. At least Ashcroft is guaranteed to get his hands on the ball as he gets more minutes in there.

One centre clearance for Bailey over the last five games. At least Ashcroft is guaranteed to get his hands on the ball as he gets more minutes in there.

You can base your game plan around best CBA team, or use a bit to get blokes involved. Like Joe going in to the ruck, I don"t mind Raynor, Bailey or even Charlie getting a few attendances.

The second one was me, Dunno how I did that:(

My words

You can base your game plan around best CBA team, or use a bit to get blokes involved. Like Joe going in to the ruck, I don"t mind Raynor, Bailey or even Charlie getting a few attendances.

I reckon the way to get Bailey going involves goals, either setting them up or kicking them. The way they were actively targeting Cameron around goal when he was struggling is something that could be tried with Bailey.

The second one was me, Dunno how I did that:(

My words

Sorry BuntonRules, my previous post was a reply to you but didn't come out as such. Something going wrong.

Center clearances are harder to get compared to stoppage clearances.
Ashcroft has only played the 2 games so i will only use the last 2 games of players numbers along with season average.

Neale........: 3, 2 - Season average 2.67 (2023 season average 3.35) - Stoppage 2024 average 4.27
Dunkley.....: 1, 1 - Season average 0.88 (2023 season average 2.05) - Stoppage average 3.44
McCluggage: 1, 2 - Season average 1.88 (2023 season average 1.20) - Stoppage average 2.44
Rayner.......: 1, 0 - Season average 0.81 (2023 season average 0.62) - Stoppage average 1.69
Ashcroft.....: 1, 0 - Season average 0.50 (2023 season average 0.94) - Stoppage average 1.50 (2.67 in 2023)
Bailey........: 0, 0 - Season average 0.45 (2023 season average 0.75) - Stoppage clearance 1.09

Id love to see some kind of +/- stats for centre bounces. Like how much the team won, lost or neutral when each player is at the bounce. As I wonder if we win more with certain guys in, even if they don't get it themselves.

I dont rate our use of Bailey in there much at all and think too often when he is in we end up with a tiny midfield that can get exposed and can't defend. I have him way way down on the priority list to get centre time. But the deeper ststs might prove me wrong

Would love to see stats on who are our most successful centre bounce attendees. I'm not talking about which individual actually wins the centre clearance, more about who are our starting 4 when we win or lose centre clearances. Like, what is each midfielder's win-loss record?

I'm sure Champion Data track this but are too high and mighty to share it with us plebs.

Id love to see some kind of +/- stats for centre bounces. Like how much the team won, lost or neutral when each player is at the bounce. As I wonder if we win more with certain guys in, even if they don't get it themselves.

I dont rate our use of Bailey in there much at all and think too often when he is in we end up with a tiny midfield that can get exposed and can't defend. I have him way way down on the priority list to get centre time. But the deeper ststs might prove me wrong
Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pleasantly easy week to record, despite all the goals. Fletcher swaps in for Reville from last week and Hugh has more inside time this week as well.

WA 2024 - Round 18.png
CBA 2024 - Round 18.png

I don't like that Jarrod Berry is playing a lot more wing time the last few weeks, IMO during his block of matches as an inside mid this season he has shown career best form and we as a team have looked better.

For gods sake give Jarrod back some meaningful inside minutes.

I don't like that Jarrod Berry is playing a lot more wing time the last few weeks, IMO during his block of matches as an inside mid this season he has shown career best form and we as a team have looked better.

We need Berry and McCluggage to swap their times this week between wing and center. Hugh is not going to tag like Berry does in the middle. Berry is needed for the inside role along with Dunkley to grapple with Sydney mids.

Last edited:

Also interesting that as soon as Berry signed a new contract he was pushed out to a wing. It also coincided with Ashcroft coming back into the team but he is playing more wing than inside anyway so can’t see why Bez has been pushed out.
Earlier in the year it was him moving into the centre that really sparked our better form as a team and his form also.
If Bailey spends a bit more time forward for the next few games with Charlie out, hopefully that gives Bez more of a chance in the middle.

Weirdly I think we looked better in the middle with Berry but then we really missed his defensive wing work. I dont think any of the other wing options pushed back hard enough like Berry does. So there's a problem we need him In both roles

Sharp is ready for a proper chance.

This Sunday please.

Sharp is ready for a proper chance.
I didn't rate Sharp at the start of the year and then he came in and looked good. Was hard done by when he was dropped. I reckon he is only behind Berry for actually running back really hard. Fletcher is ok but not as good as those two.

Ashcroft and Bruce are way back on the really hard defensive running from my viewing

I didn't rate Sharp at the start of the year and then he came in and looked good. Was hard done by when he was dropped. I reckon he is only behind Berry for actually running back really hard. Fletcher is ok but not as good as those two.

Ashcroft and Bruce are way back on the really hard defensive running from my viewing

Agreed. Love Bruce and his offensive traits, but don't know that we can afford to play him on the wing if he can't run hard enough defensively.

Well, I should say - we can't afford both he and Ashcroft having that problem and we all know who is winning that battle.

Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back