Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
The next 6 weeks will be a good litmus test for 2 Melbourne clubs and we'll have a better idea whether these clubs are the real deal, or are playing above themselves etc

Most people would agree - Brisbane & Port Adelaide should be pencilled in for a top 4 spot. The others vying and filling those places now are St Kilda & Nth Melbourne.

Here's their respective draws for the next 6 weeks. I reckon, if either side wins 4 of the 6 (that'd be 7 wins from the 1st 9 rounds), the current ladder possies would be pretty much spot on.

St Kilda

Adelaide (A)
Nth Melb (H)
Brisbane (H)
Fremantle (A)
Collingwood (H)
West Coast (H)

Nth Melbourne

Sydney (H)
St Kilda (A)
Footscray (H)
Brisbane (H)
Port Adelaide (H)
Melbourne (A)

Saints are definately going to be challengers this year but North Melbourne will have to prove that they can produce consistant performances. They didn't really deserve to beat the Blues last week but i reckon the game in Canberra against Sydney will show if they are actually challengers or pretenders.

there is no such thing as an easy win these days.

Collingwood were pencilled in as a finals cert, but are struggling, essendon had a couragious win, but are struggling still, carlton are not the easy beats they were last year, Richmond are certainly damaged with injuries and morale, but are still a pretty strong team on paper.

None of the interstaters are weak, although adelaide are puffing a bit, not the first time they've had a slow start to make the finals later

even the dougies seem to have sufficient talent to win, but not the mental edge, 2 goals per game either way, and they could be 3 zip in the top 4!

There will always be blow outs, but the competition is pretty strong.

I think this will be a rip snorter of a season!

sure the sainters are rapt to be 3 zip, but its early days in a long winter!

Although I agree with your next six weeks theory re: StKilda, I think injuries to this side will also play a part. Apart from Hughton, they have been at full strength so far. Time will tell, but I said at the start of the year that they will drop away come season's end and probably finish outside the eight and nothing has changed my thoughts.

Originally posted by zull
They didn't really deserve to beat the Blues

Carlton were in front for maybe 4 minutes.

The end may have been fortunate, but we were pretty comfy for most of the game.

Geez - I thought this was a Richmond thread

:D :D :D

I would say that the Saints are looking good and their midfield is as good as any going around. Great depth through it and their KPP are also holding up very nicely. They have an obvious weakness in the rucks and time will tell whether this shows them up. Personally I think you need a good ruck to win a flag but like I said, time will tell.

North also have a good midfield and I really envy their work ethic and heart...a lesson to be learnt by my team. I really think their lack of KPP will tell in the long run though. All in all, a gutsy team with a classy midfield but short down the spine which IMO will tell as the season goes on.

Why not add the Bombers to that list? They were labelled as challengers at the start of the season and their next few weeks will clearly determine whether they are or not.

Carlton @ MCG
Collingwood @ MCG
Sydney @ MCG
Western Bulldogs @ TD
Adelaide @ AAMI
Geelong @ TD

If the Bombers are going to challenge, they must win at least 4.

Originally posted by bOmBeR_BoY1
Why not add the Bombers to that list? They were labelled as challengers at the start of the season and their next few weeks will clearly determine whether they are or not.

Carlton @ MCG
Collingwood @ MCG
Sydney @ MCG
Western Bulldogs @ TD
Adelaide @ AAMI
Geelong @ TD

Looking at this and Collingwood's draw makes the Anzac Day clash even more interesting. Could be do or die for both teams!!

Carlton @ MCG
Collingwood @ MCG
Sydney @ MCG
Western Bulldogs @ TD
Adelaide @ AAMI
Geelong @ TD

With all due respect Bomber Boy, that list of opponents (bar Sydney) is pretty much the bottom 6. Not exactly an accurate guide if your mob are authentic challengers. If Sheedy had serious September aspriations, he'd be shattered if he didn't get points in 5 of those 6.

Originally posted by Lidge
Moomba - can only assume 5-6 wins in those games will result in some shenanigans involving your wedding tackle?:D

This is a family board is it not :D;)

Moomba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton @ MCG
Collingwood @ MCG
Sydney @ MCG
Western Bulldogs @ TD
Adelaide @ AAMI
Geelong @ TD

Bombers will be lucky to win 2 of the above. Bulldogs & Geelong.;)

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
Bombers will be lucky to win 2 of the above. Bulldogs & Geelong.;)

I believe we're discussing potential challengers and pretenders, two terms your team hasn't been familar with and dosn't deserve to be labelled.

Roos need to win at least 3 of their next 6 games.. 4 would probably be ideal.

Saints- I reckon they can go as far as Sydney did last year.. Gherig is a gun at FF, they have a brilliant midfield, a reliable defence.. and some good leadership (Harvey, Hamill, Hayes)

Go Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Challengers or Pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back