Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion v WCE Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder! We still need a handful of preview writers for coming weeks - Melbourne, Gold Coast (BRAB?), and Adelaide!

Rich come back at all this season?
Touch and go I reckon, no doubt this is his last season and retirement is imminent. Injuries may have a say on how many games he plays but i think we are set with the backline as it is and unfortunately the other teams see rich as a weakness when he plays by having a faster player that can run off him. He just seems a weakness for us when there is a turnover and a 'block' pf training is not going to increase his speed at his age nor his mental application to turn and run. A great players and dedicated to the club, he will play but how many games? probably less than we think and at least the last home game.

I think he will come back in for a game or 2 before finals but if it shows that he is still a defensive liability, he can’t play finals.
I just don't see how his running can improve that dramatically in such a short amount of time. If we were gonna give him a game I'd throw him this one and rest Coleman or Mckenna and then decide from there.

Ultra important that we play to our full capacity and don't come out with arrogance and hubris.

We played them in Perth in 2007 when they were something like $1.02 for the win and Hammo was imploring Lions supporters to watch some other"good" game, instead of subjecting themselves to watching Brisbane being utterly humiliated at the hands of the Eagles.

Result?

We rolled them in the upset of the season by 27 points

Nothing can be taken for granted in the AFL.

Hoping for a committed effort.

This game

A timely reminder.

One of my favourite games ever. The sight of Wayde Mills as a lead-up CHF who wasn't allowed to take a shot on goal and generally just kept handballing it off to players running past will stick in my mind forever.

I just don't see how his running can improve that dramatically in such a short amount of time. If we were gonna give him a game I'd throw him this one and rest Coleman or Mckenna and then decide from there.
We need to throw him in for one of the bigger games where he is more likely to be exposed.
To get a true guide, to know if he is finals ready or a finals liability.
No sense in bringing him in for a game where he is less likely to be exposed.

We need to throw him in for one of the bigger games where he is more likely to be exposed.
I agree with you on that. I wouldn't bring him back for the Melbourne game next week given just how important that game is for us, although our game against Geelong at the Gabba would be a good litmus test for him.

On the other hand though our back six is working incredibly well at the moment and I think bringing Rich back in would offer no improvement on what we've already got.

I agree with you on that. I wouldn't bring him back for the Melbourne game next week given just how important that game is for us, although our game against Geelong at the Gabba would be a good litmus test for him.

On the other hand though our back six is working incredibly well at the moment and I think bringing Rich back in would offer no improvement on what we've already got.
Chris Fagan has always shown a reluctance to change a winning line up and at the moment I don’t see any need to change.
Obviously there will be a change or 2 with Linc being suspended and Zorks possibly back.
But I would stick with the current backline until it looks like it’s not working.
Which leaves Daniel Rich with a big question mark imo?

I also think that Kiddy is the one who is most under pressure for his spot with Daniel Rich sitting on the sidelines.
Especially considering it was him who was dropped the week before Rich got the flick.
Kiddy is starting to show the intensity and desperation that he was last year which is a good sign that he is stepping up, knowing that his job is on the line. If he continues to show that, he will make it very hard for Fages to make the change.

Chris Fagan has always shown a reluctance to change a winning line up and at the moment I don’t see any need to change.
Obviously there will be a change or 2 with Linc being suspended and Zorks possibly back.
But I would stick with the current backline until it looks like it’s not working.
Which leaves Daniel Rich with a big question mark imo?
Fagan's loyalty in this instance is probably advantageous to us. I hope we don't meddle with the team we've got playing unless injury or form push the coaching groups hand.

I agree about sticking with this current back six. I don't see how Gardiner or Rich get back in unless Lester or Coleman are injured or woefully out of form, which isn't the case currently.

Rich can only be selected on form and this needs to be demonstrated in the reserves. We are winning and our defence has been fantastic, so there is no reason to include Rich unless there is an injury or he is in compellingly good form. Rich needs to be treated in exactly the same way as a player like Jarryd Lyons is. Lyons can’t get into the Senior side because our midfield is super effective at the minute and he is actually injury free and in great form. Similarly, Rich should not be gifted automatic selection because our defence is in sensational form. Unlike Lyons, however, Rich was in very poor form prior to him being omitted from the seniors. We need to finish in the top two to really lock in a super chance at a Premiership and for that to happen, we need to win pretty much every game for the rest of the season. That needs to be our focus. Anything else is a distraction. Finally, Rich can only really come in if there is an injury to Coleman or Wilmot and if one of those players was injured, Ah Chee would be a better inclusion than Rich. We all saw what happened when Fagan kept Rich in the senior side and dropped Coleman out of the starting 22.

Last edited:
Rich can only be selected on form and this needs to be demonstrated in the reserves. We are winning and our defence has been fantastic, so there is no reason to include Rich unless there is an injury or he is in compellingly good form. Rich needs to be treated in exactly the same way as a player like Jarryd Lyons is. Lyons can’t get into the Senior side because our midfield is super effective at the minute and he is actually injury free and in great form. Similarity, Rich should not be gifted automatic selection because our defence is in sensational form. Unlike Lyons, however, Rich was in very poor form prior to him being omitted from the seniors. We need to finish in the top two to really lock in a super chance at a Premiership and for that to happen, we need to win pretty much every game for the rest of the season. That needs to be our focus. Anything else is a distraction. Finally, Rich can only really come in if there is an injury to Coleman or Wilmot and if one of those players was injured, Ah Chee would be a better inclusion than Rich. We all saw what happened when Fagan kept Rich in the senior side and dropped Coleman out of the starting 22.
I agree with most of what you have said but Jarryd Lyons was in poor form for what seemed to be about half a season before being dropped before finals last year.

I agree with most of what you have said but Jarryd Lyons was in poor form for what seemed to be about half a season before being dropped before finals last year.
Yep. In retrospect, we did him no favours selecting him during the back half / late stages of 2022 while he was carrying the Osteitis Pubis.

Last edited:
The whole Rich and to a lesser extent Gunston question reminds me of the lead up to the 2001 Grand Final, when all the talk out of the Essendon camp was revolving around the question, “will Michael Long play?” I remember at the time being quite happy that Essendon were expending mental energy on that. It is not like the team were debilitated or that it cost them the game, I just thought it was a distraction.

At this stage Fagan just needs to dampen the issue down and I was pleased in his presser when he said that maybe Rich needed to come back through the reserves. I would have said that he definitely needs to come back through the reserves and he will be selected if his form warrants it and there is a place in the team available. Fagan clearly doesn’t enjoy questions on the topic, so he needs to kill it as a issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was ever a ‘right’ time to cop a one week injury it was leading into this game.

Re Rich, why fix what ain’t broke? Love the bloke as much as the next person but the only way he finds his way back into the seniors is as a like for like replacement (e.g. Coleman) due to injury, or a considerable form swing upwards for him and downwards for Coleman?

I can't get the thought that Daniel Rich is going to play this weekend out of my head.

They gave Mitch a farewell game where his family all came up and watched (obviously didn't advertise the fact).

Dan must be contemplating retiring - hard to get up every week at training when you know it's as good as over.

If he plays, it tells me he is done (though he will play out the season in case of injury to kiddy).

Who comes in for dunks? Do we move Robertson into a more permanent midfield role or do we bring Lyons in? He probably deserves a crack!
Zorks in for Linc
Diz if Payne can’t get up.
Pretty simple stuff
Since the mantra has been that Lyons is doing great but won't get a game unless Neale or Dunkley miss out ... if Dunkley is out and they don't give him a run in that spot then he is stuck behind Neale and Dunkley and Dev or Tunstil or whoever gets brought in ...

If there was ever a ‘right’ time to cop a one week injury it was leading into this game.

Re Rich, why fix what ain’t broke? Love the bloke as much as the next person but the only way he finds his way back into the seniors is as a like for like replacement (e.g. Coleman) due to injury, or a considerable form swing upwards for him and downwards for Coleman?
Ressies can be tough to show true form but i think it will be obvious if Rich has hit two key markers.
1. Does he have some semblance of run and fitness back - if he doesn't look way better against 2s players he is no chance at AFL level
2. How is his kicking actually going - given he seemed to have lost a bit of bravery in terms of options he was willing to take. The 2s is a perfect opportunity to get back to aggressive kicking because he won't be as worried about mistakes. I think the coaches should be saying go aggressive, see what you are capable of, get your confidence back. And he should be told absolutely no kicking long to a pack in kick-ins!

Looks like a few changes this week. Not a bad thing as should keep us mentally fresh for a game that looms as very flat.

Lyons for Dunkley - Lyons is still a chance to be needed in the finals, need to give him a full seniors game.
Joyce for Payne - just get Payne right. Gardiner struggles as the main key defender.
Lohmann for McCarthy - totally obvious change, position and form guide this one
Zorko for Ah Chee - we want to stay experienced so give Zorks a game, plan to sub him out during the third quarter. If there is any doubt about Zorko at all i think Answerth should come in, has more experience than others such as Tunstill or Prior and can play a few different roles.

As long as Dunkley and Payne have no real issues it's a great opportunity to give them 15 day breaks before Melbourne. Linc cops plenty of hits so not a bad thing for him to miss.

I was struggling for inspiration to watch the eagles game but will be a bit more interesting now they are in better form and we have a few out.

Since the mantra has been that Lyons is doing great but won't get a game unless Neale or Dunkley miss out ... if Dunkley is out and they don't give him a run in that spot then he is stuck behind Neale and Dunkley and Dev or Tunstil or whoever gets brought in ...
Lyons in for Dunks and Zorko for Linc.

Who comes in for dunks? Do we move Robertson into a more permanent midfield role or do we bring Lyons in? He probably deserves a crack!
Zorks in for Linc
Diz if Payne can’t get up.
Pretty simple stuff
Outs - Ah Chee (protocols), McCarthy (suspended), Dunkley (cork??)

Ins - Zorko, Lolhmann (surely to get his first goal), Lyons.

I think I'd prefer Joyce over Dizzy if Payne doesn't get up. Wouldn't be surprised if they give Fort a whole game, but I'm liking the current forward set-up. I thinking one of either Rayner, Daniher, Hipwood or Charlie will get of the chain and kick 6+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back