Analysis Changes for next week v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like even a handful of genuine injuries (not to fringe 22 players) to Richmond would bring them right back to the pack. Maybe I'm wrong but it's just the impression I get.

Last season we lost at various stages for extended periods:

- Elliott
- Fasolo
- Pendlebury
- Moore
- Varcoe
- Wells

Pretty sure that if you took away Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Butler, Castanga, Edwards and say Prestia from Richmond's line up all at once, they'd probably struggle to win games no?

Exactly

If there is nothing structurally wrong with Pendles he will play. That guy is amazing with his ability to recover and play with injury / pain.

For me whatever class we have available needs to come in. Our injuries lead to us becoming a workman like team again yesterday.

Jeez, I saw yesterday very differently to everyone else.

I don't think that the forwards who are copping flak caused yesterday's struggles. To me our forward line was really dangerous all game, but our defenders were as leaky as a sieve and kept stuffing up with their skills and decision making and turning it over. I don't reckon that you can blame the blokes who we are blaming for that being a closer game than we wanted it to be. Brisbane put a lot of defensive heat on our defenders and they cracked with the ball in hand. Murray and Shaz particularly had absolute shockers on all fronts. These guys have been great this year, but they were woeful yesterday. Hopefully it was a one off aberration, because they are keepers and selection locks based on what they've previously done this year. Might just be an occasional unfortunate outcome of inexperience.

People have been comparing Tim Kelly to Daniel Wells; great debut season fromKelly I’m a fan of him. Would love to see wells come in and play on him head to head. Although if wells comes in I imagine he will play mostly half forward/wing

I don't think that the forwards who are copping flak caused yesterday's struggles. To me our forward line was really dangerous all game, but our defenders were as leaky as a sieve and kept stuffing up with their skills and decision making and turning it over. I don't reckon that you can blame the blokes who we are blaming for that being a closer game than we wanted it to be. Brisbane put a lot of defensive heat on our defenders and they cracked with the ball in hand. Murray and Shaz particularly had absolute shockers on all fronts. These guys have been great this year, but they were woeful yesterday. Hopefully it was a one off aberration, because they are keepers and selection locks based on what they've previously done this year. Might just be an occasional unfortunate outcome of inexperience.

To be fair to the defenders, as bad as they were, the mids didn't help them. At all.

Simply, we got spanked out of the middle. Their mids beat ours, putting our backs under too much pressure. Decision making thus becomes erratic and fall apart coming out of the back half, thus making it hard for forwards.

Feedback loop

Not sure what to make of your post as a response to mine. All i said is we need some class back in the side. We were workman like, missed targets by hand and foot, dropped marks etc. I didn't blame anyone for anything. We need the class of Wells, Fas and Elliott back in the side is all i said. We are playing close to our max with what we have currently.

In regards to your post. 6 tackles inside our forward 50 may give you a heads up as to why Brisbane kicked 90% of their goals from inside 30m. Our defence was torched by the players up the ground. They made some terrible skill errors at times however, if you are giving the forwards a tick and putting it all on the defenders then yep you did see the game differently...to me anyway.

with Ablett likely to come in and Pendles 50/50. so let's assume his out I'm worried about their depth in the midfield. whilst he has only played one game in the VFL I would seriously consider brining in Greenwood to Tag selwood as he has taken him to the cleaners the last few years when playing Geelong.

Not sure what to make of your post as a response to mine. All i said is we need some class back in the side. We were workman like, missed targets by hand and foot, dropped marks etc. I didn't blame anyone for anything. We need the class of Wells, Fas and Elliott back in the side is all i said. We are playing close to our max with what we have currently.

In regards to your post. 6 tackles inside our forward 50 may give you a heads up as to why Brisbane kicked 90% of their goals from inside 30m. Our defence was torched by the players up the ground. They made some terrible skill errors at times however, if you are giving the forwards a tick and putting it all on the defenders then yep you did see the game differently...to me anyway.

Yeah, I was responding more to general sentiment than your particular post, except the workmanlike part. I only watched it on tv, so you're probably right regarding the forwards and their work ethic making the defenders struggle. But that'd mean that the issue wasn't us being workmanlike, but rather playing like millionaires, which would more easily fit with us being offensively as good as we've been so far this year, yet leaking goals like a sieve.

Yeah, I was responding more to general sentiment than your particular post, except the workmanlike part. I only watched it on tv, so you're probably right regarding the forwards and their work ethic making the defenders struggle. But that'd mean that the issue wasn't us being workmanlike, but rather playing like millionaires, which would more easily fit with us being offensively as good as we've been so far this year, yet leaking goals like a sieve.

When you have blokes like Blair, Crocker and Mayne in our forward line that is the definition of workman like. Defenders run off and leave their opponents to help elsewhere when they are confident they won't be hurt on the scoreboard.

When i say workman like i meant in class not effort. 6 tackles would indicate they didn't do their job. Workman like players who don't tackle are a disaster.

with Ablett likely to come in and Pendles 50/50. so let's assume his out I'm worried about their depth in the midfield. whilst he has only played one game in the VFL I would seriously consider brining in Greenwood to Tag selwood as he has taken him to the cleaners the last few years when playing Geelong.
By all reports Greenwood was close to BOG v Werribee, wouldn't hesitate in bringing him in if Pendles is out.

Sorry for the intrusion but I think you'd be mad to rest Grundy - he is key to your hopes of a win.

We've been torn apart by rucks including McEvoy, Sinclair and Naitanui in our losses this season. Grundy is as good as or better as any of them.

Zac Smith has been out of favour since being smashed by Gawn in round one, he was finally supposed to return on Friday night against GWS but was a late out with a back problem. We're not sure if he'll be back in the seniors this week but Stanley is clearly not a number one ruckman, albeit he is a dangerous forward option for us.

No question he is critical and would love to have him against the cats. But he has not covered the ground well the last 2 weeks and some say he is a bit sore. Hopefully the 7 day break will freshen him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No question he is critical and would love to have him against the cats. But he has not covered the ground well the last 2 weeks and some say he is a bit sore. Hopefully the 7 day break will freshen him up.

Who would ruck for you if Grundy didn't play - Cox? And if so, who would replace Cox up forward?

If fit, I think Greenwood should come in this week. Has a history of doing a great job on Selwood.

When you have blokes like Blair, Crocker and Mayne in our forward line that is the definition of workman like. Defenders run off and leave their opponents to help elsewhere when they are confident they won't be hurt on the scoreboard.

When i say workman like i meant in class not effort. 6 tackles would indicate they didn't do their job. Workman like players who don't tackle are a disaster.

Sorry, I'm being a bit slow on the uptake. I think I get it now. You're suggesting that due to our forwards being ordinary players and having little threat, defenders were more willing to peel off and run and create, thus destroying our pressure and making the defence crack. That makes more sense to me now.

Definitely a possibility, but personally I think that Brisbane's tactic for attacking our press was to take the game on and go with a run and gun approach, as they'd seen that we hold up really well against slow ball movement. I don't think that they were just responding to the mediocrity of many of those who lined up in our forward half. It resulted in a really exciting game where both forward lines scored more easily than normal.

Wells in for Pendlebury. Greenwood in to tag Selwood for Crocker. Baring injury that's about it. Personaly I'd drop Adams to play someone like Sier but there is no chance Adams will be dropped. Elliot is a clear in when fit and Fasolo subject to form is best 22 but neither will likely be right.

I thought Blair & Mayne were sevicable. There is no future in either of them and I woudn't have had them on them the list but there isn't any more point to playing someone not deserving of a game that won't do a better job.

Sorry, I'm being a bit slow on the uptake. I think I get it now. You're suggesting that due to our forwards being ordinary players and having little threat, defenders were more willing to peel off and run and create, thus destroying our pressure and making the defence crack. That makes more sense to me now.

Definitely a possibility, but personally I think that Brisbane's tactic for attacking our press was to take the game on and go with a run and gun approach, as they'd seen that we hold up really well against slow ball movement. I don't think that they were just responding to the mediocrity of many of those who lined up in our forward half. It resulted in a really exciting game where both forward lines scored more easily than normal.
I think both of those can be true. I think we may have hurt them more with Wells, Elliott etc woth the risks they were taking.
They were going the way you describe i think because of our 3 games in a short space of time. In interviews a couple of their players said something like that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back