In Kelly shuey darling Ryan

B hurn barrass Rotham
Hb Nelson McGovern Foley
C gaff Redden SPS
HF Ryan Darling Jones
F Rioli Kennedy petrecelle
Foll Natanui Kelly Shuey
Int Edwards Hough Williams Naish

I think that team gives us good experience back but also gets games into Williams and hough .

Think hough should stay in until duggan is fully fit .

I don't think we should play both witherden and hurn in the same team .

Also if Williams doesn't work out play gov as the 2nd ruck

The 2nd ruck is once again a huge problem for us (and one that is only going to become worse, although that is based on the hope that we get players back and no further injuries).

Williams and Dixon don't deserve a game ahead of Darling, JK and Allen. Nor ahead of Barrass and Gov. If we play the 7th dedicated tall (NN not listed previously as the 6th) they need to offer something to the team. At the moment I'd prefer one of 2 options if/when/hoping all players are fit again:

Edwards plays, Gov Rucks a bit or Edwards rucks a bit
Gov rolls into the Ruck and Allen goes back for stints

The 3rd option (most desirable, but most unlikely) is Dixon or Williams start demanding selection. They are both young enough to still improve.

Next minute out for 6 weeks with chipped bone in his leg....haven't you learnt not to trust anything these guys say on our injuries.

If Darling is back ( honestly even if he is not) this obsession with a million talls has to go.We easily could have left one of Williams or Waterman out for Winder.
Make Natanui play 75% and Dixon can do the rest.. Im sorry 9 disposals, 4 clangers out of that, no tackles, no marks, 2 frees again off just over 60% game time... Sorry you either work harder or don't play. We cant pick him and then have to fill the gaps around one man.It just kills the structure its no wonder we run out of legs.
So if we have smalls coming back take the talls out first.

We are wasting Rotham as a player. He came to the club as an attacking runner with good footskills, and now he's a timid 3rd tall (4th tall when Edwards plays) who makes a lot of very simple mistakes by foot. I struggle to see what his defined role is, and to me it looks like his confidence down as a result.

It's a shame the WAFL hasn't started yet as I'd like to see him sent back to the twos to build some confidence and to go back to playing his natural attacking game in a less stressful environment. I really like him as a player, but he's not offering much at the moment ( I get it's round 1, but this applies to last year as well).

Out: Williams , Waterman, Xon, Langdon, Hedwards
In: Darling, Shuey , Kelly, Ryan, Witherdon

Wayyyy too tall. I really want to keep Waterman in ..but he just doesn't do enough.

Also too tall down back.

Xon unlucky as i thought he actually played a decent game but it was a toss up between him and Naish but Naish played a good game too.

We are wasting Rotham as a player. He came to the club as an attacking runner with good footskills, and now he's a timid 3rd tall (4th tall when Edwards plays) who makes a lot of very simple mistakes by foot. I struggle to see what his defined role is, and to me it looks like his confidence down as a result.

It's a shame the WAFL hasn't started yet as I'd like to see him sent back to the twos to build some confidence and to go back to playing his natural attacking game in a less stressful environment. I really like him as a player, but he's not offering much at the moment ( I get it's round 1, but this applies to last year as well).

Rotham is a player that frustrates the shit out of me, in fact if I am being honest, I have given up any thoughts of him becoming a decent player.

For a guy with all that speed he sure has absolutely no idea how to use it to advantage in a game.

You are correct he is timid.

For me he is at best a super nervous, tentative player.
He lacks composure.
He far to often, IMO, craps himself with perceived pressure, I say this as he fluffs simple kicks, drops simple marks, has poor decision making skills which manifest in his bad habit of being a momentum killer and the one that really pisses me off, is that he gives his opponent way to much latitude across the forward line.

Every game he bleeds two goals from basic skill or defensive errors.
This is something that is frustratingly annoying with young players, BUT if they show signs of improvement, then they are worth persevering with. The last two seasons I, sadly, have seen no signs of improvement in his game.

He will need to improve as week by week Foley is looking like he will overtake him.
Oh and give me a young player like Hough who attacks the football at pace and with purpose …… I would much rather get games into him than have Rotham play with stalled improvement.

He really needs a rocket up his arse to take the game on and stop playing safe, otherwise he will become a list clogger.

Last edited:
We are wasting Rotham as a player. He came to the club as an attacking runner with good footskills, and now he's a timid 3rd tall (4th tall when Edwards plays) who makes a lot of very simple mistakes by foot.

Perhaps not your main point but Rotham was running at 82% disposal efficiency and I thought he was pretty tidy with the ball yesterday.

Perhaps not your main point but Rotham was running at 82% disposal efficiency and I thought he was pretty tidy with the ball yesterday.

There was that one howler where he miskicked to SPS who fell over trying to gather and it ended up in a turnover and goal. Those sort of things stick in the memory more than half a dozen unremarkable passes.

There was that one howler where he miskicked to SPS who fell over trying to gather and it ended up in a turnover and goal. Those sort of things stick in the memory more than half a dozen unremarkable passes.
Yep, he takes the easy option, usually a 25 metre pass to someone in the clear which makes his stats look better than they actually are.
Has a tendency to give a few timid passes that fall short and our guy gets smashed.

In: Darling, Shuey, Kelly, Ryan, Witherden
Out: Williams (omitted); Rioli (suspended); Jones (injured); XON (omitted); Hurn (general soreness)

We can't afford to have a back up ruck playing 56% game time - has to be a contributing factor to us getting overrun in the last quarter. I thought Dixon at least made a contest a few times so I would keep him ahead of Williams wiih Edwards/Dixon to play back up ruck.

XON perhaps unlucky - played ok in patches but didn't find enough of the ball - unsure why he only played 61% game time? That's less than NN.

I doubt Hurn will really be dropped - more likely to be Hough

If we get some good news on on Rioli and/or Jones then Dixon/Rotham to make way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before I get too excited/interested in an 82% DE - I’d like to know more.

Metres gained/kick - my memory of Rotham is too many short kicks which still means we are under territorial pressure. Not advocating a ‘kick it long at all costs’ but territorial gain also counts.

Got the tools - doesn’t use them.

I’d also add Gov, Barry’s, Edwards and Rotham makes us too tall in defence.

Is Wiiliams any better than a part timer? I'd say not.

Ridiculous that we have slimmed down a guy who came to the club as a large for age, aggro beast into another nothing tall that we only want on the ground for 50% of a game because he can add nothing at AFL level.
I thought i was the only one to see thathe was smaller than when we got him?

In: Darling, Shuey, Kelly, Ryan, Witherden
Out: Williams (omitted); Rioli (suspended); Jones (injured); XON (omitted); Hurn (general soreness)

We can't afford to have a back up ruck playing 56% game time - has to be a contributing factor to us getting overrun in the last quarter. I thought Dixon at least made a contest a few times so I would keep him ahead of Williams wiih Edwards/Dixon to play back up ruck.

XON perhaps unlucky - played ok in patches but didn't find enough of the ball - unsure why he only played 61% game time? That's less than NN.

I doubt Hurn will really be dropped - more likely to be Hough

If we get some good news on on Rioli and/or Jones then Dixon/Rotham to make way.
Simmo doesn’t seem to rate xon that highly and he was going to give others more game time. It’s a pitty cause xon when he does get the footy does do some classy stuff

If they’re not picking shuey round 1 for fitness which I don’t agree with, make him do WAFL time

Dixon and waterman out of the forward line for darling and Ryan. If rioli suspended one of Dixon or waterman stays.

McGovern to replace Bailey Williams, witherden to the back line.

Kelly in for hough

Nelson to tag, but he’s next in line to go. XON needs to be played as a starting mid and persisted with. He will come good, too much upside.

If they’re not picking shuey round 1 for fitness which I don’t agree with, make him do WAFL time

Dixon and waterman out of the forward line for darling and Ryan. If rioli suspended one of Dixon or waterman stays.

Kelly in for hough

Nelson to tag, but he’s next in line to go
Rotham goes before hoff. Bloke looks stagnant last season and now it looks like he has regressed since breaking into the team in 2020

Before I get too excited/interested in an 82% DE - I’d like to know more.

Metres gained/kick - my memory of Rotham is too many short kicks which still means we are under territorial pressure. Not advocating a ‘kick it long at all costs’ but territorial gain also counts.

Got the tools - doesn’t use them.

I’d also add Gov, Barry’s, Edwards and Rotham makes us too tall in defence.

Agree Gov, Barrass, Edwards and Rotham makes us too tall in defence especially given Hurn isn't particularly quick or agile.

However:

Rotham 261 meters gained from 11 kicks = 23m per kick
Foley 412 meters gained from 19 kicks = 22m per kick

Rotham 72.7 kick efficiency
Foley 63.2 kick efficiency

Rotham 3 clangers (18% of disposals)
Foley 7 clangers (29% of disposals)

Foley obviously had a lot more possessions and had 3 tackles to Rotham's 0.

Not saying Rotham played better than Foley but I don't think it is Rotham's disposal that is the issue. Maybe we are playing him too deep, maybe he just isn't putting himself in the right positions to have an impact, maybe his is too tall...

Edit: Foley also got 5 ground ball gets to Rotham's 0

Last edited:

Kelly in for hough

Nelson to tag, but he’s next in line to go. XON needs to be played as a starting mid and persisted with. He will come good, too much upside.
WAFL doesn't start until April 15 which is AFL Rnd 5 (ie nearly a quarter through the season).

Doing some digging on rules for 2022. Came across this article. Looks like potential to cause injury factors heavily onto decision making.

However… I don’t see any high contact in the bump that Willie have Rowell. It seemed to impact his shoulder more hence I declare Willie has no case to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back