Changes for Round 7 vs Carlton Teams in OP | White, Aish, Crocker In & Brown, Langdon, Sinclair Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First in is Cloke. Cox and Moore combo were better yesterday than I expected but still suffer from a low possession count between them. Cloke is our best KPF and needs to be there to help these 2 develop.

In Cloke Varcoe Adams
Out Broomhead Langdon (inj) Frost
Yeah I second that. I'm one of Frost's fans but he needs a week at least in the reserves.

IN: Adams, Varcoe, Cloke
OUT:Langdon, Greenwood, Frost

FF: De Goey Moore Cox
HF: Fasolo Cloke Broomhead
C: Howe Pendles Sidebottom
HB: Oxley Reid Varcoe
FB: Maynard Brown Toovey

R: Grundy, Adams, Treloar
INT: Smith, Blair, Oxley, Crisp
Haha, if ww could clone players, wouldn't it be better to clone Pendles, rather than have an Oxley clone at HB and on the bench??? lol

Broomhead needs to stay in the side from now for the remainder if the season. If he doesnt perform that look at the options at seasons end. Cox also needs to stay in for the remainder of the year. He may get a rest during the year but play him. l think he is capable of having 30-35 goals beside his name at seasons end. l would also like to see Philips come in and play the half back/wing role. To me he is a upgrade on Toovs, who has been a great servant of the club, but looks to be struggling with the pace of the game. Wills is another l would bring into the midfield/half forward. Like his hardness at the ball, can win contested footy, very good over his head marking abilities and nice disposal.

All five of Broomhead, Smith, Cox, Philips and Wills should be continued to be played or brought in to the side and play until seasons end.

I guess we are quitting the season already then? I mean if your preferred policy is to gift the next 15 or 16 games to Broomhead, Smith, Cox, Phillips & Wills regardless of form then I guess we are even more screwed than I thought we were. I agree we need to get games in to the likes of Broomy, Cox & Smith etc.
But they still must earn their place & form must dictate selection policy not simply youth. We have an abundance of youth already.

Adams must get back in, the hard-nosed approach to the game and gives 100% effort week in, week out.

Cloke is going to be a tough call for match committee. I wouldn't bring him back this week but possibility he will come in long term when he's showed some consistency, if his form over the next couple of weeks is enough to earn a recall he's deserved it.

Out: Langdon
In: Adams

At this stage I don't want to see any more changes. I reckon we have the talent to beat Carlton.

Broomhead needs to stay in the side from now for the remainder if the season. If he doesnt perform that look at the options at seasons end. Cox also needs to stay in for the remainder of the year. He may get a rest during the year but play him. l think he is capable of having 30-35 goals beside his name at seasons end. l would also like to see Philips come in and play the half back/wing role. To me he is a upgrade on Toovs, who has been a great servant of the club, but looks to be struggling with the pace of the game. Wills is another l would bring into the midfield/half forward. Like his hardness at the ball, can win contested footy, very good over his head marking abilities and nice disposal.

All five of Broomhead, Smith, Cox, Philips and Wills should be continued to be played or brought in to the side and play until seasons end.

I like Broomhead. I had some high hopes, but they've been dwindling. Some underwhelming performances in VFL, and then he's been exposed (exposed by going missing, exposed by getting pushed off the ball too easily) at AFL level. I'd be happy for him to get some more games, including next week, but the notion that he should be guaranteed games for the rest of the year is more than a bit wayward.

Give him a run of games, against different levels of opposition, and if he can find a way to be more productive than he was yesterday (one junk goal does not count, just didn't impact enough contests) then that would be great. He does have talent, and he should be given a chance to show it, but he should be as accountable for non-performance as anyone else.

First in is Cloke. Cox and Moore combo were better yesterday than I expected but still suffer from a low possession count between them. Cloke is our best KPF and needs to be there to help these 2 develop.

In Cloke Varcoe Adams
Out Broomhead Langdon (inj) Frost
In regards to Frost, that might work this week, but if the blooze don't make changes, they will have Casboult (199 cm), Liam Jones (198 cm) and Phillips (resting ruck at 200 cm) in their forward line. To cover, we will have Reid (195 cm), Brown (195 cm), and ??? Perhaps Maynard (186 cm) or Sinclair (183 cm) can cover one of theit talls?
I think we need to move away from simply swapping players we think are playing poorly, and then selecting players we think should be playing without looking at positions/team balance and the composition of the team we are playing next.
We will lose Langdon (190 cm), and then our next tallest defender is Toovs (189 cm). If you were to drop Frost, then you would need to bring a like player for the backline, and that would be either Marsh (194 cm) if available, or White:eek:. They are your only choices to cover a team plaing a forward line with three talls.

In regards to our forward line, yes, we could stack it with talls. Cloke, Cox, Moore, perhaps White there as well? But, then the question is can we counter the run and attack the opposition has out of their backline with those players?
My answer to Cloke is that he is not being selected for 2 reasons. 1) His marking stats show he has dropped off considerably towards the end of last season, and this season. Particularly contested marks. And 2), his defensive pressure has dropped as well. His tackle count is virtually non-existant. That is why he has been dropped in my opinion. Added to that, his goal kicking accuracy has dropped from a low 60%, to 55% this season.
I have seen nothing from him in the VFL that shows improvement in any of these areas, so why should he be selected? Adams will come in if fit, and we need to replace Langdon. Broomhead has had 2 underwhelming games in a row now (VFL last week), and the question is, is he better than Aish?
And where is Toovey at? He is nowhere near what he was in past seasons, and the question here again is, who else do we bring in as a like for like defender? There are not many left at the moment.

Although we would like to get rid of our pet-hate players, we havn't go a lot of options to replace them with like players at the moment. That's why i see minimal changes, and only replace injured players for "like" players, and then only change the balance/structure depending on the opposition.

as meh as I think Cloke was in the 2's he should play this week. I cant see carlton risking Weitering (partial shoulder dislocation) and Jamieson was concussed in the 2's. They only have Rowe (he'd have to go to Cox) left so Cloke and Moore will have significant advantages.

aside from that Adams comes back as well.

Outs Langdon (inj), Frost (not required).

Greenwood hanging on by the skin of his teeth.

im surprised nobody has mentioned Reid.
Liability in our zone - watch Q2 when he plays 15m off a guy that was in the most damaging position of the ground - resulted in goal.
moves like a truck (was he always this slow? I remember him being quicker)
Playing his intercept role like a pansy. Not attacking the footy which is resulting in spilt marks
Was wondering how long the transition from "best KPD in the league if he could just get healthy" to liability would take this board to make once Reidy got back on the field.

In: Adams, Varcoe, Cloke
Out: Langdon (inj), Broomhead, Toovey

If Adams isn't right to go, Wills in. If Varcoe isn't good to go, Phillips in.
Howe across half back & on thin ice.
Oxley can play further back also if required, so losing 2 medium defenders in Toovey and Langdon shouldn't be a concern.

B: Sinclair Brown Frost
HB: Oxley Reid Howe
C: Sidebottom Adams Treloar
HF: Varcoe Moore Crisp
F: Cox Cloke Fasolo
R: Grundy Pendlebury Greenwood
I: Smith Maynard Blair De Goey

In: Adams, Varcoe, Cloke
Out: Langdon (inj), Broomhead, Toovey

If Adams isn't right to go, Wills in. If Varcoe isn't good to go, Phillips in.
Howe across half back & on thin ice.
Oxley can play further back also if required, so losing 2 medium defenders in Toovey and Langdon shouldn't be a concern.

B: Sinclair Brown Frost
HB: Oxley Reid Howe
C: Sidebottom Adams Treloar
HF: Varcoe Moore Crisp
F: Cox Moore Fasolo
R: Grundy Pendlebury Greenwood
I: Smith Maynard Blair De Goey
Moore playing CHF and FF, damn, I know he's promising, but that's a tough ask. Or are you just sucking up to Dave?:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the intellectually condescending routine didn't last long...

You have still completely failed to understand my argument and I can't be bothered explaining again.
You can't be bothered explaining it again because your argument is fundamentally floored and can't be backed up by anything and when the facts a presented to you your stance looks idiotic

You can't be bothered explaining it again because your argument is fundamentally floored and can't be backed up by anything and when the facts a presented to you your stance looks idiotic

What stats? What are you mumbling about?? This is about interpretation of results.. oh lord help me.

Matthew Lloyd suggested on AFL.com that we drop Grundy and bring back Cloke. I didn't think Grundy was too bad, though he's not great on the tap-outs.
Llyod has the football intelligence of a pea, that's pretty clear to see.

So we drop Grundy, our clear best overall ruckman, and bring in Cloke, a forward. How does that work? Who plays second ruck to a 3rd gamer in Cox? He does know how bad Cloke and Moore looked in the ruck before Cox came in right?

Oh wait, no, it's Matthew Llyod, sorry, continue on.

The Cox-Grundy combo is one of the few positives for us at the moment, in fact I'd like to see Cox given more time in the ruck and Grundy more time up forward.

What stats? What are you mumbling about?? This is about interpretation of results.. oh lord help me.
The one main one is you claim we would Essendon would have beaten us if it wasn't for the first quarter even though we out scored the 90 to 66 after quarter time. Secondly Essendon all year have conceded big numbers in the first quarters all year with 30% of their points against coming in the first quarter while only managing to score 16% of their points for in the same period. That proves that the first quarter on ANZAC is indicative of how the Bombers have gone all year leaving your argument of they were just overawed be the event looking rather pathetic.

Matthew Lloyd suggested on AFL.com that we drop Grundy and bring back Cloke. I didn't think Grundy was too bad, though he's not great on the tap-outs.

Your first mistake there is listening to Matthew Lloyd.

Grundy was always going get smacked my Nic Nat in the ruck - everyone does. His job as it was against Gawn was to try and compete in the ruck but mainly hurt them around the ground. Grundy has really done a good job around the ground winning a lot of the ball and running hard. He maybe realised after round 1 omission he needed to pull the finger out and he has.

He will slowly progress into essentially a big mobile bulldozing midfielder. Outside Goldstein there are not many ruckman who are dominant in the ruck and racking up 20+ good possessions around the ground. Nic Nat very rarely is damaging around the ground.

I would like to see him get in more dangerous positions and start hitting the scoreboard and having confidence to do so - against the Eagles he declined a shot from 50 with the wind and passed backwards, when in future he needs to be taking that on. Grundy will be a unique beast once he realises what he is capable of.

Nic Nat is a different sort of player all together but he is now just starting to realise there is no one that can hope to compete with him and he is starting to play that way. Mason Cox I feel is already working this out and is smart enough to use his natural attributes to advantage - another scary prospect for any opposition - a running jumping 211cm athlete who knows what to do with it. Some ruckmen don't realise that their legs are connected to their body until they are 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back