Changes for the Pies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bit disappointed at the game watching lead after lead of Morton being ignored... thought he worked really hard across half forward and was not rewarded enough. he seems pretty strong on the lead overhead but needs more of an opportunity with delivery.

From watching the box hill match. I am going to throw one in here from left field. Given that Gibbo is out I think we should bring Muston in as a defender. He played all right as a defender against werribee even against taller opponents. He punched the ball away quite often and most importantly held his ground in the contest and did not fall over. He is quick and strong and has a mature body compared to the cobbler. He could be the missing link

Yes i know his decision making is suspect but that will improve with confidence. He also brings pace and run into our backline

Do you think we could do a 'trent croad' with muston - ie make him a defender and tell him to really simplify his game - stick to his man, punch and handball? His strengths are his athleticism - has speed, endurance, good leap and a strong body - while his weaknesses atm are his decision making and footskills

I think the surprise inclusion will be Brad Sewell.

I spoke with Brad at the game yesterday and he said he would return the week after next. He said the shoulder was all good but still needs the extra week. I wished him good luck and he put his arm around me and thanked me.

Super nice guy.

Do you think we could do a 'trent croad' with muston - ie make him a defender and tell him to really simplify his game - stick to his man, punch and handball? His strengths are his athleticism - has speed, endurance, good leap and a strong body - while his weaknesses atm are his decision making and footskills

I am leaning towards this seriously. At training the cobbler has played on him in marking contests a couple of times and he has just thrown him out of the way.

His upper body strength is better than most in our backline in my opinion and he keeps his feet and doesn't go to ground in a wrestle. There were bigger blokes that him playing on him in the werribee match and he towelled them up i thought. Its just when he gets the ball he seems to second guess himself a long time out of the game and lack of confidence will do that.

I say play him we could do worse with gibson out. He could cover some of the bigger forwards. He does have pace and strength.

Doesn't matter who you play, you're playing a team that wouldn't have a clue how to go about beating you.

IN: Osborne, Young, Burgoyne
OUT: Moss, Suckling, Gibson

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Tom Murphy
HB: Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, Rick Ladson
C: Carl Peterson, Sam Mitchell, Chance Bateman
HF: Michael Osborne, Jarryd Morton, Cyril Rioli
F: Campbell Brown, Jarryd Roughead, Lance Franklin
R: Brent Renouf, Jordan Lewis, Luke Hodge
IC: Xavier Ellis, Clinton Young, Shaun Burgoyne, Ryan Schoenmakers

I think Collingwood will bring Anthony back into the side this week.
Anthony - Gilham
Cloke - Stratton/Schoey
Medhurst - Murphy
Davis - Ladson
Didak - Bateman

Given the nature of Collingwood's forward structure I don't think it will be necessary to plant Hodge in the backline unless they send a ruck forward.

Burgoyne is class and if he is fit, he should play in the seniors. Play him off the bench each quarter. He will find ways to get the pill and he will use it well.

Young's long kicking will provide us with a bit of unpredictability going forward. Forces the defence to play further back which should hopefully open up more space for Frankie and Roughy to lead into.

Anthony - Gilham
Cloke - Stratton/Schoey
Medhurst - Murphy
Davis - Ladson
Didak - Bateman

Given the nature of Collingwood's forward structure I don't think it will be necessary to plant Hodge in the backline unless they send a ruck forward.

Burgoyne is class and if he is fit, he should play in the seniors. Play him off the bench each quarter. He will find ways to get the pill and he will use it well.

Young's long kicking will provide us with a bit of unpredictability going forward. Forces the defence to play further back which should hopefully open up more space for Frankie and Roughy to lead into.

The past 2 games we have smashed Pies and Browny has mauled Medhurst...we can't afford to let Medhurst get on his game, I'd give Brown the job on him :thumbsu:

Anthony - Gilham
Cloke - Stratton/Schoey
Medhurst - Murphy
Davis - Ladson
Didak - Bateman

Yep- This....:thumbsu: Love ya work- can you fax it to clarko!!

I think Dawes might play for the Pies too, saw him against Williamstown and he was fairly consistent. He's a big body too.

Whats the plan if Buddy gets suspended?

A) if Lisle comes in and prevents Roughy from having to leave his post to ruck then we are likely to have Roughy+Morton as talls.

B) If lisle doesn't come in and Roughy needs to continue to do stints in the ruck then we will be left with only Morton as a tall up forward. We could therefore send Shoenmakers forward when Roughy is rucking which gives us the 2 talls again, as there doesn't appear to be a need for multiple talls down back against the pies, but more a need of shorter blokes like Browny.

Are two talls enough or do we need to find a 3rd? presti usually doesn't have much trouble completely shutting down a forward which is why i'm concerned that if we do indeed play without buddy, that Roughy may be held goalless.

Buddy will have been twiddling his thumbs waiting for Youngy to come back into the side. I can't help but feel he has missed the long bombs of Youngs from the wing to the top of the 50 and could be part of the reason why he has stopped leading as no-one else appears to be able to kick to his hot-spot quite like young was able to.

Ozzy and Young, if fit, would be auto inclusions. How many other changes we make from there should depend on susps/injuries. I'm all more multiple changes early on in the year based on form to try and find the bext mix, but in the 2nd half i'd like to be looking at some stability and, barring injuries/suspensions, getting the same 22 blokes playing with each other week in week out, something we didn't have the luxury of last year,

Best 22,

Guerra Gilham Brown
Guerra Shoenmakers Birchall
Sewell Mitchell Burgoyne
Bateman Franklin Lewis
Osbourne Roughead ???
Renouf Hodge Rioli
Ellis Ladson Young Bailey

thoughts?, who gets the last spot
Hooper Peterson Morton Stratton Murphy Shiels
for me its Peterson just over Shiels and Hooper

Best 22,

Guerra Gilham Brown
Sewell Mitchell Burgoyne
Bateman Franklin Lewis
Osbourne Roughead ???
Renouf Hodge Rioli

Guerra's good, but probably not worthy of 2 spots :D

Peterson for me at the moment, he's playing brilliantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a shame if they dropped Moss or Sucko. Dont think it does anyone any good to yoyo blokes breaking into the team.

Young and Ossie will be straight back so the axe will fall somewhere.

In: Osborne, Young, Lisle

Out: Franklin (suspended), Gibson (injury), Suckling

Guerra Gilham Murphy
Birchall Schoenmakers Ladson

Renouf Lewis Hodge
Bateman Mitchell Young

Rioli Roughead Osborne
Brown Lisle Peterson

Int: Stratton, Ellis, Moss, Morton

Best 22,

Guerra Gilham Brown
Sewell Mitchell Burgoyne
Bateman Franklin Lewis
Osbourne Roughead ???
Renouf Hodge Rioli

Given Gibson, Sewell, Hooper & Bailey most likely not available due to injury, Shiels suspension then the other 4 - Peterson, Morton, Stratton & Murphy all fit. The player that seems up in the air for availability will be Burgoyne!?

In: Osborne, Young, Burgoyne

Out: Moss, Suckling, Gibson (injury)

Guerra Gilham Murphy
Birchall Schoenmakers Ladson

Renouf Lewis Hodge
Bateman Mitchell Young

Rioli Franklin Osborne
Brown Roughead Peterson

Int: Stratton, Ellis, Burgoyne, Morton

Agree but

In lisle
out Morton

Out
Gibson (massive loss)
Ellis (skills by hand and foot are deplorable) Cost us massively today and unless he learns to get rid of that dinky little floater kick he will never make it.
Moss (No role for him)
Murphy (coughs it up week in week out and gets beaten in the air and on the ground and the opposition isolate him and play through his opponent)

In
Lisle (need the extra tall)
Kayler Thompson (good body size for the pies)
Young (Need to take a risk with him now)
Osborne (very important link man)

He's already a premiership player = made it in my book.:confused:

Can someone fill me in on JKT? What are his strengths? Positions of choice? I see him pop up a lot in people's 22 or emergencies but not sure where or how he plays. Not from Melbourne so haven't had a chance to see him run around Box Hill.

Our decision making coming out of defence has to be a problem. I know its tough on the kid but for that reason I think Shoemakers has to be dropped. Regardless of umpiring decisions last week his kick across goal cost us the game and yesterday he was pathetic with the ball in his hands, with in my opinion equally crucial mistakes by foot in the third and last quarters. Also he is being burnt for speed playing on smaller forwards, so for mine either he gets dropped or there is a change in rationale with him, maybe swapping him and browny between the forward line and backline. Problem there is that Ellis and Mitchell are equally in the frame over the past two weeks for turnign the ball over by foot. Mitchell just has to stop kicking without looking, its filthy.

I thought Stratton more than held his own and Suckling was good but wasn't freed up enough out of the backline, but that inturn helped Dodge and Goo rack them up at will. Moss' lack of attack was glaring and Morton really didn't give much. There has to be some tough decisions this week and I think Shoey just has to be given a kick up the proverbial, with a few others.

I want to put Burgoyne, Young, Ossie, Lisle, and JKT in, which may not be possible.

Franklin and Gibson out, sadly. Perhaps Morton and Suckling out to make room, possibly Moss out too.

Peterson definitely deserves to keep his spot. I'd like to see Stratton stay in too, after some shocking kicks early, he showed a bit once his nerves settled. We can't really afford to drop any talls at the moment, so he keeps his spot.

I think we need to give Lisle a go as a backup ruck and to spend some time in the forward line. Roughead and Renouf, as well as they are both playing, can't be our entire ruck and tall forward divisions by themselves.

Burgoyne is fit, so he's right in. He is a truly classy player. Someone above suggested playing him off the bench - I think it's a good move. Use him as an impact player until he gets some game time into him.

We should beat the Pies. Jolly has carved up Renouf in the past, but I don't think that will be enough. They just aren't capable of exploiting our other weaknesses, imo. Just hope the boys aren't totally cooked after two of the most intense games in recent memory.

In: Burgoyne, Young, Ozzie, Lisle
Out: Franklin, Gibson, Suckling, Moss

We have to bring someone in to help Suzie or it will be round 2, 2009 all over again and Jolly will belt us all over the park - not to mention that Roughy will have to play forward all game this week so wont be able to provide a chop out.

Burgoyne is all class and a better option underdone than Moss or Suckling fully fit IMO. Play off a HFF with 5min a quarter out of the guts. Also tempted to bring in JKT for more run but not sure who for.

With Gibson's injury there is no way we are dropping Murphy any time soon and I wouldnt be surprised if Stratton gets a good run (although Whitecross might be a look in next week).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back