Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia - No change.
Whilst I am not a Bailey fan and personally would rather see either Faulkner or Doolan come in to replace him, the selectors won't change a side that just won by 381 runs.

England - Trott of course has gone home and has to be replaced, which in turn has possibly saved Root who has done nothing since his 180 at Lord's, really tight call between him and Bairstow for me. But this is what i think will happen, rather than what I'd do. Will be interesting to see the side that lines up in Alice Springs.

Out - Trott
In - Ballance

England - Trott of course has gone home and has to be replaced, which in turn has possibly saved Root who has done nothing since his 180 at Lord's, really tight call between him and Bairstow for me. But this is what i think will happen, rather than what I'd do. Will be interesting to see the side that lines up in Alice Springs.

Out - Trott
In - Ballance

No love for Monty?

Cook didn't have too many tricks going in Brizzy, only used 5 bowlers, and was surprised KP didn't get a trundle, given Root was rolling out his innocuous stuff at crucial parts of the game.

The other they'd look at I suppose would be Bresnan/Finn for Tremlett, and Bresnan is a huge risk, given he hasn't played in 2 months, and would have to back up a week later.

Finn is too erratic for Test cricket right now. Definitely has wheels though. Onions is the man who should replace Tremlett

Finn is too erratic for Test cricket right now. Definitely has wheels though. Onions is the man who should replace Tremlett

Bowling average in the 20s. Very tall and with pace.
Surely you'd take the gamble at the Gabba and at the WACA at the very least?

He's rapid, no doubt, be yeah he can be all over the shop. Never seen a fella so consistently knock the bails over in his run up.

Onions isn't in the squad.

Onions was touted as the 4th in line before the 5th test in England and then not touring always seemed strange to me

Onions was touted as the 4th in line before the 5th test in England and then not touring always seemed strange to me

He's a like for like replacement for Anderson and they don't see a need to play them both in Australian conditions.
He's playing first class cricket in South Africa and can be flown over if Anderson misses

No love for Monty?

Cook didn't have too many tricks going in Brizzy, only used 5 bowlers, and was surprised KP didn't get a trundle, given Root was rolling out his innocuous stuff at crucial parts of the game.

The other they'd look at I suppose would be Bresnan/Finn for Tremlett, and Bresnan is a huge risk, given he hasn't played in 2 months, and would have to back up a week later.
Definitely agree on KP, thought he should've had a bowl in the 2nd innings for something different, Root didn't even look like he would threaten, KP might bowl some a bit of crap but he will also bowl some potential wicket balls and having batsmen not knowing which is coming can be a weapon.

Monty doesn't bring anything new to the side and would only come in to replace Swann, whilst I personally prefer Monty can't see it happening. As for Tremlett he bowled much better in the 2nd innings and reckon they will give him another go, Finn is almost identical to him and you've stated why Bresnan won't play yourself. What England need is for Anderson to give them more, thought he had a pretty average test by his standards and that hurt England a lot.

All that said, think the 2nd Test will come down to the batsmen and if they go out to stupid shots. Judging by the results this season so far it is more a question of the batsmen not doing something stupid rather than bowlers getting on top. Strong lean towards a draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes lets bring Hughes in, the bloke that is an absolute spud against spin...on a pitch Swann will bowl 100 overs.
I'm surprised you don't want Lyon dropped again, give how crap he is..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. No change.

What England need is for Anderson to give them more, thought he had a pretty average test by his standards and that hurt England a lot.

Personally, I think it's starting to take it's toll with Anderson. He's played a helluva lot of 5 day cricket in the last 12 months as the frontline bowler, something like 15 tests, then he has 2 back up another 2 tests in the next fortnight.

and he looked flat as a tack in Brizzy.

Personally, I think it's starting to take it's toll with Anderson. He's played a helluva lot of 5 day cricket in the last 12 months as the frontline bowler, something like 15 tests, then he has 2 back up another 2 tests in the next fortnight.

I thought Anderson looked as flat as anything when they had to bowl late on day 2
Looked sore and completely dis-interested.

Appeared to get his mojo back early on day 3, but when Warner and Clarke got going he looked below his best.
Could be a long Summer for him with 2 lots of back to back tests coming up.

I'm surprised you don't want Lyon dropped again, give how crap he is..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. No change.

Bowled well in the first test, I gave him credit there. Still Adelaide and Sydney are his tests- needs to bowl sides out.

Is he playing in Alice Springs?

Hopefully its ****ing hot out there

Bowled well in the first test, I gave him credit there. Still Adelaide and Sydney are his tests- needs to bowl sides out.

Still don't see why it's only lyon's job to roll teams at adelaide, the pitch for the SA test wasn't a 5th day turner that lyon didn't take advantage of it was just a dead track.

if it's another batting paradise why do the more credentialed quicks face less scrutiny than lyon if we don't take wickets?

Hard to think there'd be any change. Some of this has been covered already, but as I've only just read the whole thing:

I looked up Johnson's Test stats at Adelaide this morning and was surprised. Three matches, no massive bags but all decent figures: 4/126 & 2/33 vs India in 2008, 2/56 & 3/29 vs NZ in 2008, and 3/105 & 5/103 vs WI in 2009. Was our leading wicket-taker in the first and last of those, mostly top- and middle-order wickets too. So where did the perception of him being rubbish at Adelaide come from?

No matter what you think of Hughes, he's been pretty unlucky. As Caesar said, he seems to have worked on each weakness that's been exposed and improved it. If the selectors are looking to replace Bailey they'd be mad not to look at him. But as I said, surely no change.

Anyway, I’ve been looking back over England’s recent results and they haven’t been that flash – haven’t passed 400 in 18 innings, struggled in New Zealand, only beat us convincingly once in their own conditions, no viable third seam option, Swann continuing the tradition of off-spinners doing poorly in Australia … This is starting to feel like the last home series vs India, where I kept expecting them to assert themselves then realised around the third Test they weren't actually that good. We can hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back