Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Khawaja's problem is more than being weak against spin and it's more than being green. He has a fundamental inability to score off good balls. In state cricket he can wait for the couple of loose ones you get every over and thrash them, but at international level they just aren't there. So he gets pinned down, can't rotate the strike, pressure builds and he inevitably gets out.

I'd be happy to persist with him if he showed some signs of improvement, but he seems to have little interest in fixing it. When Hughes was dropped for being weak on the short ball, he went away and worked at it. When he came back he still struggled, but he'd improved. Then he went to India and was useless against spin. By the time we got to England he'd worked out a way to survive, if not exactly thrive, against Swan. Not spectacular results, but clear progress.

Khawaja has been picked and dropped a ton of times and seems to have learned nothing from it. Until he learns the knack of scoring 1s and 2s off good bowling, I don't care how many runs he plunders in the Shield. He needs to recognise the problems in his game and take some steps to rectify them.

Is this all from your own observations? Quality insight.

Khawaja's problem with only really scoring off bad balls was an observation made by someone on this forum a few years ago, when he was playing for NSW (think it might have been Phone). He was spot on though. It's still true.

I see no point in risking Harris. Given the wicket looks like it's not going to give a lot to the bowlers I would just bring in Faulkner for Harris. Faulkner, Harris and Lyon are all capable of bowling long spells and we can try and get bursts out of Johnson. Plus it strengthens the batting lineup should we have another collapse, we don't want to make a poor score first innings here as England could very easily rack up a decent score... it's the closest we will see to one of their pitches from the winter.

I don't really like the idea of changing the side especially when we have our foot squarely on the English throat and can continue to apply the pressure. However I also know that the risks with our bowlers having long spells and then struggling to come up for Perth could be disastrous!

I would personally like the idea of resting Harris, not sure if we have given him long enough rest but instead of playing Adelaide he plays the next shield game to keep the wheels turning (not sure on dates if this would be possible).

Maybe Faulkner to have a run with Siddle & Johnson, I don't think we can rest more than one if we are going down this route. Just not sure with Pattinson & Bird injured whether we have any options rolling around in the Shield that could produce at the moment. (Bollinger & Hilfenhaus only two with experience that spring to mind)

Also think that if Watson isn't fit to bowl for a substantial amount of overs, he can't play. We need the extra option to keep the overs as light as possible on the front liners so if he isn't up to it, we need someone who is. Don't be second guessing and having doubts because that often leads to more problems.

With all that said, I would look at this.

Warner
Rogers
Watson / North
Clarke
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Siddle
Lyon

North gets the nod for sheer amount of runs produced this season, he has been very very impressive and seems to have his game somewhat back in check. His also capable of bowling for decent amounts of time so that is another advantage.

With that balance I think it still has enough to keep the pressure on the English and to keep players fresh.

Is there anyone I'm not thinking of?

Harris can and will get injured any old time, he rarely breaks down mid test so why rest him?

You could rest him from Adelaide and he could just as easily break down in the nets getting ready for perth, use him while you have him hell if we had him at adelaide last year we might have beaten the world number 1.

Not as many as the other two?

Khawaja's 8 or 9 vs Norths 20 odd...
Where the other two are mid 20's, and North is turning 35.

There will be no drastic changes this series, especially if we keep winning. But at some point needs to be moved on to the young guys to get them ready.

North didn't have 20 chances to prove his spot. He was set in the team, and then the selectors they need to drop someone...and it was North, as they didn't have the fortitude or ability to tell Ponting his time was up.

Not as many as the other two?

Khawaja's 8 or 9 vs Norths 20 odd...
Where the other two are mid 20's, and North is turning 35.

There will be no drastic changes this series, especially if we keep winning. But at some point needs to be moved on to the young guys to get them ready.

North made 5 test hundreds compared to Khawaja's 0 hundreds. Khawaja has only past 50 twice in 17 innings. I wouldn't be picking people because of their age, you pick the best team to win you the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The world record for attendance at a single day's play is 90,000 - Boxing Day at the MCG in 1961, vs the West Indies.

Didn't it get to 88 or 89 on Boxing Day in 06? Think they thought it would break the record but didn't quite get there.

What's the record for a whole test?

Little OT, I know but holy shit balls batman I had no idea Boxing day is totally sold out now. Could be some sort of record test crowd for sure.

Been sold out for a while now.
Lucky enough to have a ticket though - can't wait. Should be epic.

Being at the GF this year, with just on 100k was totally nuts, now just add more drunks and bigger lines for beer, almost has that derby day fell to it, (which isn't great)

Actually I find the lines at the cricket easier as people spread out over the day as opposed to people rushing around at quarter time. Though you are right on the number of drunks

Don't mind the idea of getting North into the side, but I think Bailey deserves at least another test to score some runs.
Although with North we'd be getting someone at the top of their game making runs against the red ball, and he can roll his arm over with his off spinners.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Bailey doesn't get runs on the batting friendly deck in Adelaide.

Don't mind the idea of getting North into the side, but I think Bailey deserves at least another test to score some runs.
Although with North we'd be getting someone at the top of their game making runs against the red ball, and he can roll his arm over with his off spinners.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Bailey doesn't get runs on the batting friendly deck in Adelaide.

Totally agree. I always liked North (as frustrating as he was) and if he's in ripping form I wouldn't be against giving him ago. But Bailey was ridiculously nervous (still managed to find a few runs), Rogers has runs on the board and I don't think they'll ever drop Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back