Changes: Gold Coast vs Fold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Venables is of use if he is applying destructive physical pressure - he didn't.
I will admit, he did on good thing in the first quarter. He got right under the ball and fired out a handball where WC rebounded into FWD50.

Also, to his defence, you could throw a blanket over 10 players who were as bad or worse than him...

Yeah not a fan of Brander's management. His 3 games have been Sydney @ SCG, Brisbane @ GABBA & Geelong @ GHBBMAAMHA.
Unless the kid has too much confidence and you are trying to take him down a peg those decisions seem odd.

Gaff seems to be carrying some mental hangover from last year. As I keep thinking he is returning from an injury and thats why he is slow to start this season then I remember he wasn't actually injured so what is happening to him? Not really been a fan of his disposal which at best is neat but is labouring from the moment the ball is bounced and his already poor agility for a mid seems even worse this year. I have not seen a player at AFL level his size be so bad below their knees.

As discussed Darling has been pretty bad this season. Not sure what is wrong just seems to be not going in all of the time and the fumbles are back.

Overall though we have played the top end (or in form) part of the comp so far this season so 3-3 is not bad. Most of it is mental from my perspective with a structural issue with the inclusion of Gaff (giving the form he is in). Gaff in 2018 form can be included and it will be made to work. Gaff in this form is not really worth pushing best career form of Sheed out of the middle.

Shuffling Brander & Venables in and out of the team on the peripheral is not addressing the above.

What I think will happen:
Out
Brander (to come back in when we play...Tigers at MCG or perhaps a North at Tassie game) and probably Venables.

Not sure who in but I see them making that change.

Out: Oallen, Brander,
In: Brooksby, Mallen

Brander unlucky but the MC got it wrong last week. It should have been Oallen for Brander. If they wanted to drop Vardy, Brooksby should have been the in.
Reddog will be another week minimum and possibly much longer. We will have to be conservative.
Sheed lucky we are lacking midfield depth. I was very disappointed in his game at Geelong.
Venables lucky, should never have been selected.

B: Hurn Schofield Shep
HB: Jetta Gov Duggan
C: Masten Sheed Gaff
HF: Cripps Darling Petruccelle
F: Ryan Kennedy Venables
R: Hickey Yeo Shuey

I: Brooksby, Hutchings, Cole, Mallen

Nelson, Ah Chee and others at WAFL level should see there is opportunity to get in the seniors with the way we are playing. MC needs to show some tough love or this season is going to slip past us.

As shit as Darling has been, a flat tracking against GC might be just what he needs. Definitely agree that Waterman comes in and Allen has a rest. Worked well last year with waterman in the side, playing further up the ground.

Given our lack of connection between backs, mids and forwards from the center, stoppages and rebounding from 50 you'd think Waterman would be a great inclusion. That's what Brander is meant to be doing in the team but our ball movement is so poor he couldn't get loose.

Out: Darling, Schofield
In: Waterman, Mallen

Darling has been a massive disappointment and dropping him will send a statement.

Schofield is still very rusty and needs more time in the WAFL.

GC are not overly tall with Sexton ( Medium forward) and Wright as their key targets so i would try Brander in Schofields spot.

JK and Allen to be the focal targets with Waterman roaming.

Mallen gets a game for his reward in the WAFL.

Given our lack of connection between backs, mids and forwards from the center, stoppages and rebounding from 50 you'd think Waterman would be a great inclusion. That's what Brander is meant to be doing in the team but our ball movement is so poor he couldn't get loose.
The ball movement is actually not too bad. It's the skills that's letting the team down. WC actually looked really threatening when they came into the middle and went from DEF to FWD pretty quick. It's just that they butchered the crap out of it, and forwards were dropping marks, not leading etc.

I can think of one example where brander kicked an absolute hospital pass to someone in the middle, Geelong just plucked and and snagged a sausage with consummate ease.

I just don’t think dropping Darling is a great idea. Reckon he’d do better getting some confidence back against weaker AFL sides than going back and kicking a bag against some shit WAFL team. He probably deserved to be dropped on current form, but 2 weeks in a row of less than 40 inside 50s hasn’t helped his cause. I’d be giving him a few more goes. Might only take an early mark and goal for him to get some confidence back.

I just don’t think dropping Darling is a great idea. Reckon he’d do better getting some confidence back against weaker AFL sides than going back
Could say the same thing about any player who is having a shocking run though. Are you recommending keeping everyone in the side, or having double standards for performance?

Changed my mind. Brander comes out for Waterman if he's fit. Proven he can find more of it than either of the other two, competes harder than Allen for the contested ball when it spills and is stronger than Brander in contested marking.

Cole comes out because we've got too much going on down back and although i really rate him and don't blame him for yesterday's result we need more upfield.

Masten stays in, listed as a flanker but he just needs to keep on running. Venables, i want in the team but can't justify it on production. We're a better side when he contributes and he'll be back again.

Mallen comes in to play in the stoppages and play through the corridor whenever possible. Release Yeo to play a more attacking role, and allow him to patch holes up forward or down back.

Out: Brander, Cole, Venables
In: M.Allen, Redden, Waterman

B: Shep - McGovern - Duggan
HB: Hurn - Schofield - Jetta
C: Yeo - Sheed - Gaff
HF: Masten - Darling - Waterman
F: Cripps - Kennedy - Ryan

R: Hickey - Shuey - Redden
Int: M.Allen - Petch - Hutchings - O.Allen (Defense/ Ruck)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is nicnat still sitting on the bench this year? I thought it was a good idea last year. bloke is the most inspiring player I've seen. our players lift when he comes onto the ground, and shrink when he leaves.

Could say the same thing about any player who is having a shocking run though. Are you recommending keeping everyone in the side, or having double standards for performance?

When we’ve delivered absolute puss into the forward line (below 40 entries 2 weeks in a row now) forwards can’t be entirely to blame. We all know what Darling can do, I think it’s worth sticking with him for a little longer. Allen has been good, but also dropped off the last few weeks. Waterman has played well and the setup with JK, JD and waterman last year worked well, so I reckon it’s wirth a go again.

Shouldn’t be double standards on performance and who gets dropped and who doesn’t, but I reckon the mids have let the forwards down of late and should take some of the blame.

I will say though, shit delivery doesn’t excuse Darlings poor efforts, but I still reckon a bloke like him who plays on confidence needs another chance to regain that. This could be the week. If he stinks it up again, then he can have a spell.

We should keep Brander and play him in a set position. Schofield is not getting any younger. Drop Schofield and play Brander in his position for at least 2-3 games. Bring MAllen who can play Midfiled/Half Forward.
Cripps has kicked 0.1 in 3 games, Darling has 0 goals in 2 games and OAllen has kicked 2.3 in 3 games. Cannot drop Oscar if we are playing only one ruck and we cannot drop Cripps because we don’t have any other small forwards (apart from Cameron) available. Drop Venables for Ah Chee who can help out in the ruck and play half forward/midfield. Looks from the WAFL reports that Ah Chee is not in form but then again neither is Venables.

Out: Schofield, Venables
In: MAllen, Ah Chee

Simo needs to break apart this abomination we have suddenly morphed into and fix things one part
Not sure Vardy comes back in bud

Brooksby is the in form ruck / forward.

Debut against his old side! Do it Simo!!

Stop sending in boys to do a mans job. Oscar out Brooksby in.

Ah chee to take Venners spot on a HFF.

Masten out, Gaff to the wing where he should be and Sheed into the guts where he should be. MAllen also comes in for Masten to provide more contested winning midfielders.

Schofield out for Rotham, Brander can play KP back against Lukosius same height and experience. Give him a simple role to get his teeth into. Rotham can take Corbett or Sexton.

So much more balanced.

Shep Brander Hurn
Jetta Gov Duggan
Hutch Yeo Gaff
Ryan Darling Ah chee
Petro Kennedy Cripps

Hickey Shuey Sheed

Brooksby, Cole, MAllen, Rotham

For those wanting Vardy to be included, he was not our best ruck on Saturday.

His game was pretty average until mid way through the last quarter when he had 3 telling marks. If we want another ruckman to aid in our contested football, then Brooksby is it based on 4 good games. He is also a leader on the field and I noticed Brooksby at the quarter breaks and during the game leading discussions with the mids on areas to work on.

We should keep Brander and play him in a set position. Schofield is not getting any younger. Drop Schofield and play Brander in his position for at least 2-3 games.

Nothing wrong with the job Schofield did yesterday. And Brander’s spent this year playing as a roaming half-forward/winger, it’d be asking a hell of a lot to plonk him in defence, and get him to start taking the opponent’s number 1 forward to boot.

Let him have a few games in the role he’s playing.

For those wanting Vardy to be included, he was not our best ruck on Saturday.

His game was pretty average until mid way through the last quarter when he had 3 telling marks. If we want another ruckman to aid in our contested football, then Brooksby is it based on 4 good games. He is also a leader on the field and I noticed Brooksby at the quarter breaks and during the game leading discussions with the mids on areas to work on.

Just not sure how Brooksby would go partnering with Hickey. They both seem more suited to the role Hickey plays. Does Brooksby offer enough as a forward?

To be honest, the best player for the backup role based on current performance would be McInnes. But I don’t think that’ll happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes: Gold Coast vs Fold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back