Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 13 vs. Melbourne, MCG Mon 12/06, 3:20pm BIG FREEZE

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mention either aerial or ground game so not sure how that's relevant.

I think you're overstating any defensive drop off this week relative to others as a consequence of Frampton playing. It was minimal, and given it was his first game with the defensive group since round 4, it'll only improve going forward.

You don't think our aerial and ground game is relevant when we're adding in an extra aerialist who doesn't appear to have much of a ground level game?

I just don't really get the concept of how we benefit from adding Frampton into defence - and I'm a fan of him. Moving Darcy to a less dangerous player doesn't seem to involve him in more contests, it seems to involve him in less. He looked freed up on Curnow to me. Play him on the best and let them try to play through Darcy Moore. I'd take that scenario every day of the week. To me that's when he's at his best.

In which case, I don't really see enough of an advantage that Frampton adds to our defence. And there is a loss, as he isn't likely to mop up many ground balls or offer rebound or big pace to close space

Last edited:

I just don't really get the concept of how we benefit from adding Frampton into defence - and I'm a fan of him. Moving Darcy to a less dangerous player doesn't seem to involve him in more contests, it seems to involve him in less. He looked freed up on Curnow to me. Play him on the best and let them try to play through Darcy Moore. I'd take that scenario every day of the week. To me that's when he's at his best.

In which case, I don't really see enough of an advantage that Frampton adds to our defence. And there is a loss, as he isn't likely to mop up many ground balls or offer rebound or big pace to close space
So you would have him play VFL after all the hype surrounding his recruitment? If he doesn't play on the gorillas in defence, what do we do with him? He was quite impressive in the ruck but won't be getting a game ahead of Cox or Cameron.

Not that I disagree with your point regarding Moore. Casting your mind back, can you recall Moore starring with Frampton playing in defence?

And that skews your views on the impact his inclusion has.

WCE had a season high (among our opponents ytd) 55 I50's, we had a season high 45 R50's (82% - only 3 games this year had higher %). Our defence, and Frampton's inclusion within that group, wasn't our issue yesterday. It was the spanking we got around stoppages that fed those 55 I50's.

If De Goey misses I hope we reward Macrae. He hasn't put a foot wrong. Suspect it'll be Adams with more centre bounce attendances and Carmichael fwd/mid for team balance however.
Carmy was very average today. Adams to mid, lippa to take over the mid/forward role adams has been.

Macrae deserves a game but Mitchell has basically taken his spot. He’s very much a distributor.

So you would have him play VFL after all the hype surrounding his recruitment? If he doesn't play on the gorillas in defence, what do we do with him? He was quite impressive in the ruck but won't be getting a game ahead of Cox or Cameron.

Not that I disagree with your point regarding Moore. Casting your mind back, can you recall Moore starring with Frampton playing in defence?
I'd give him a run for now. See how it works, build our depth, but I don't think it improves us. I think Howe will replace Frampton if he gets fit.

Cameron versus Frampton as first ruck is interesting. As Bucks would have said, we've been nutted around stoppage since Darcy has come back into first ruck. I'm not a big fan of Darcy's follow up stuff around stoppage, but he is pretty good around the ground.

And why does he pull his own pants down before taking a centre bounce. There's something unimpressively symbolic in that.

If De Goey misses I hope we reward Macrae. He hasn't put a foot wrong. Suspect it'll be Adams with more centre bounce attendances and Carmichael fwd/mid for team balance however.

Macrae has earned an opportunity. VFL form has been really consistent, and I thought he was our best today. If we're looking at replacing DeGoey from without, he seems as good a like-for-like as we've got.

Assume Elliott, Lipinski and McStay are in the mix as well. Who'd want to be a selector.

Carmy was very average today. Adams to mid, lippa to take over the mid/forward role adams has been.

Macrae deserves a game but Mitchell has basically taken his spot. He’s very much a distributor.

Yeah actually that makes more sense. I also think we'll see more of Crisp at the centre bounces.

Macrae has earned an opportunity. VFL form has been really consistent, and I thought he was our best today. If we're looking at replacing DeGoey from without, he seems as good a like-for-like as we've got.

Assume Elliott, Lipinski and McStay are in the mix as well. Who'd want to be a selector.

I really hope Macrae gets a crack.

On the bolded, it got me thinking, it's gonna be a hot game to bring in players that aren't match sharp.

This is a danger game for us, if Melbourne bring their best.

Last edited:
Less Carmichael, more Lipinski.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give him a run for now. See how it works, build our depth, but I don't think it improves us. I think Howe will replace Frampton if he gets fit.

Cameron versus Frampton as first ruck is interesting. As Bucks would have said, we've been nutted around stoppage since Darcy has come back into first ruck. I'm not a big fan of Darcy's follow up stuff around stoppage, but he is pretty good around the ground.

And why does he pull his own pants down before taking a centre bounce. There's something unimpressively symbolic in that.
I missed Cameron pulling his own pants down. Is this a regular occurrence with him? Cox has also struck me as looking somewhat uncomfortable in an untidy sort of way in his shorts and plaster strips when he wears any. I thought Cameron comported himself in a more dignified manner on-field. Apparently not.

A fit Howe would certainly throw a cat among the pigeons down back. Frampton rather than Cameron in the ruck has a lot of appeal. At the very least, ruck is one area in which we have genuine depth - provided we don't lose three of them for lengthy stints on the side lines again.

This probably could have been said during the actual match yesterday, but the mental application of some of our players irritates me. Putting the cue in the rack is a collective effort overall but there are a handful of players that I feel don't do a great job of respecting the opposition.

I missed Cameron pulling his own pants down. Is this a regular occurrence with him? Cox has also struck me as looking somewhat uncomfortable in an untidy sort of way in his shorts and plaster strips when he wears any. I thought Cameron comported himself in a more dignified manner on-field. Apparently not.

A fit Howe would certainly throw a cat among the pigeons down back. Frampton rather than Cameron in the ruck has a lot of appeal. At the very least, ruck is one area in which we have genuine depth - provided we don't lose three of them for lengthy stints on the side lines again.

Watch him at centre bounces when he hunches forward, he pulls down the front of his shorts.

Nothing more? No inappropriate touching? You'd think he'd more conscious of the cameras. Nothing worse for viewers and kiddies than to see grown men placing their hands in places they shouldn't be.

McRae encourages them to express themselves.

Billy Elliott often gets a part time role in the middle when DeGoey or Adams are missing.

Obviously, that stat is BS.
Chasing somebody can be a “pressure act”.
Ginnivan did a lot of chasing, as he touched it bugger all and his opponents kept on jogging it away from his area.
Nah.
He was crap.
Probably our worst.
fully agree - he didnt chase hard, was slow as at wet week, jogged around as if it was a sunday picnic game .. - I will be gobsmacked if he gets a game next week

Ginni on very thin ice after tonight’s insipid effort but will survive for now given other forced outs.

OUT DeGoey McCreery
IN Lipinski Elliott

If Hoskin-Elliott doesn’t get up then I’d bring in Ed Allan as his replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
who goes out for McStay?

He has always been a flawed player who lacks pace and athleticism. These observations are not startling revelations. He had a poor game. AJ has had a few shockers. So has McCeery and Hill.

You cannot dismiss a player who has performed on big stages in high pressure games. He seems to suddenly have become the worst player on our entire list.

He has a great footy IQ which compensates for his lack of physical attributes.

He will never be quick or athletic but he will always have his goal sense and ability to make the most of limited possessions.
I agree, but in thi smodern game speed is a Big factor - hence Hill and mcreery, harrsion is right up ginnis' clacker adn has the speed , so if he improves in the other areas Ginni i s good at then he will replace him. Reeff is another pushing hard also ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back