Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 13 vs. Melbourne, MCG Mon 12/06, 3:20pm BIG FREEZE

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that we took McStay knowing we already had AJ and BM tells me that the intention was to always play all 3. As for Frampton, I seriously doubt he will be dropped
Except we didn’t play all 3 until our rucks were injured. I’d be surprised if we played 3 tall forwards and two rucks, seems fairly top heavy to me.

Not this again

Frampton is 100% in our best side. We’re not winning a flag with one tall defender. It’s simply not happening.
If Howe is back close to his best he still may miss like he did in Round 1. If everyone is fit the two tough decisions are which tallish defender and which tallish forward will miss out.

If Howe is back close to his best he still may miss like he did in Round 1. If everyone is fit the two tough decisions are which tallish defender and which tallish forward will miss out.
The advantage of Frampton is that he can ruck if we need him too, and I think he could pinch hit forward as well. he's so versatile.

It’s not so much intensity as pace that’s the issue

I think you missed my sarcasm. I was having some fun with the criticism of Ginny’s “zero insenity”……whatever the hell that is! 🤣

But yes, I agree, he looks like he is running through wet concrete and can’t stick a tackle. Those are not traits normally associated with successful small forwards. I don’t see a spot for him when we have a near-full list to pick from.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You would think it is not a huge difference but he seems to be ok running off half back but lost playing on a wing.
In modern footy the wing is one of the hardest positions on the field and HBF one of the easiest so it doesn’t shock me. IMO, it’s one of the biggest challenges with selection pressure. It’s great to have him as the 24th man if there’s a defensive injury, but any other role and I’d be concerned.

The fact that we took McStay knowing we already had AJ and BM tells me that the intention was to always play all 3. As for Frampton, I seriously doubt he will be dropped
He had some outstanding games in defense before he was injured and then went into the ruck. Why are we getting so many knee jerk reactions after one game?

You would think it is not a huge difference but he seems to be ok running off half back but lost playing on a wing.
At half back he's part of a structured defensive unit, with others helping to direct him. Wing requires more autonomous decision making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very.
But, who misses out if he plays.

So, he needs to look at Bobby Hill and follow his example. Bobby had a big pre-pre season. And he took Ginnivan’s role. Ginnivan needs to take himself to another level if he wants to remain in the AFL.
Hill’s tank will be a lot better next year, if he can avoid injury.

I think they would have been well and truly aware of his capabilities. Being 193cm, I would imagine that they already had him pencilled in for the 3rd tall role
Agree blokes with the athleticism of Johnson stand out at training. Just got to get them fit and focused.

Their rehab wouldn’t have have affected their aerobic fitness at all. I’d expect that they’re both in tip top shape. Both are experienced players and would offer more than anyone coming up through from the seconds.

The only doubt IMO would be having McStay, Mihocek and Johnson in the same forward line feels a bit tall
- especially given Ginnivan is down on form, Harrison is new, and McCreery is likely out. And I doubt anybody would want to drop Johnson or Mihocek to bring in McStay.

The key as always v Melbourne is to keep May and Lever busy and avoid kicking down the line to them.

If we do run all 3 of these guys then i can see McStay playing a negating role on May. Having both Cox and Cameron as well makes us quite tall but those 2 are a lock.

If Ginny is persisted with then i reckon he has a 3-4 week block without JDG and Sidey to stake his claim for a spot otherwise he'll be back in the 2's pretty quickly upon their return.

Really excited for Lippas return. Can't underestimate his impact on our side. Qualiry ball user and great footy IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back