Changes Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

In - Dea, Webberley, Nason, Browne, Tuck/Post, Gourdis

Out - Connors, Morton, Conca, Graham, White, Batchelor/Edwards

Basically like for like, except Gourdis a genuine tall defender to come in for Batchelor who is an inbetween height defender around 6'2".

I watched Coburg v Sandringham and all of the ins were good, some especially Webberley and Nason were excellent.

Grimes I thought did quite well, he's a real competitor and I think he'll learn more by playing Pies than being sent back to Coburg and I'd rather we promote guys on form rather than guys getting a game just for the sake of it.

Astbury negated well but didn't provide anything offensive. I'd consider starting him forward and maybe put Tuck in to play a role down back as 3rd tall and take Brown. Grimes with Cloke and Gourdis with Dawes. After half-time depending how game is going can always move Astbury back to defence and Tuck forward or to midfield.

Clearly playing just two tall defenders was exposed tonight.

Dimma said after the game that Thursty was injured and couldnt play.....
Also, Grimes played solid well thought out footy tonight and the only times he looked outclassed was when Buddy put on the after burners, how could we drop him after that performance? He puts the ball out of bounds, he knows when to come off his man, keep him in.

Anyway

In: Tuck, Thurstfield, Browne, Miller
Out: Graham, Edwards, Connors (or Conca), Batchelor

We just need to bigger more mature bodies around the stopages because that's where we got killed tonight I thought.

In: People prepared to tackle.
Out: Soft princesses that won't/can't tackle - Morton, Connors.

Tackling was something Wallace did zip about and it looks like Dimma has done bugger all
trying to improve it as well. It's one the reasons we have been so sh#t for years.

Dimma said after the game that Thursty was injured and couldnt play.....
Also, Grimes played solid well thought out footy tonight and the only times he looked outclassed was when Buddy put on the after burners, how could we drop him after that performance? He puts the ball out of bounds, he knows when to come off his man, keep him in.

Anyway

In: Tuck, Thurstfield, Browne, Miller
Out: Graham, Edwards, Connors (or Conca), Batchelor

We just need to bigger more mature bodies around the stopages because that's where we got killed tonight I thought.

Actually we came out with a very competitive clearance ratio, just lost it or just won it, I can't remember. The biggest problem was how we cleared it... mostly just bombed it forward whereas the Hawks kept their composure, spread well and delivered with purpose.

Minimal changes because changing 20% of your team each week generally results in losses.... (see first half 2010 for Tigers and Essendon 2010 for evidence of this).

Miller, Thursty, Browne and probably Tuck will not play in a premiership at Richmond so get games into the ones that will be around when we are pushing for finals. That is Grimes, Batchelor and Astbury. Edwards and Connors I agree with being sent to the Burgers. Conca maybe if he is showing signs of fatigue....

Accept that this is another transition year, and we are just as likely to be beat by Collingwood even if we include, Thursfield, Miller and Tuck.

Play the kids, in a few years we will reap the rewards, even if we'll feel like shit for a bit.

Dave Astbury has some second year blues at the moment but I would still persist with him, setting small peformance goals each week. He is one for the future.

I'd prefer no changes, but if anyone is to be dropped it's the more senior players who should be working harder and performing better.

Out: Any of Connors, Morton, Deledio
In: any of Webberley, Nason, McDonald

After sleeping on it last night the changes I'd make for next week are:

Out:
Morton - squibbed a few contests last night when he needed to go hard at the ball.
Connors - 14 possessions 8 clangers 50%DE for a bloke who is supposedly a good ball user its just not good enough.
Edwards - struggled first 2 games and was the sub last night, needs to go back and find some touch.

Ins:
Tuck - he'll tackle, he win clearances and he'll get possessions.
Any 2 of Miller Post Thursfield Gourdis. We need some real structure up forward and down back. Miller and Post can play back or forward which gives us some flexibility. Gourdis and Thursfield give us the ability to play talls on talls rather than asking kids like Batchelor to stand them.

We knew this was another Development year , yes it sucked last but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Conca , Batchelor aren't going anywhere. Batchelor has been consistent, Conca has shown at times why we rated him so highly, other times ... he needs development go figure ... development year.

Astbury has put on 5+ kilo's in the offseason , young players struggle when they need to learn how to use that weight. He won't be dropped his upside is huge. He needs games.

It's the players with minimal room for more development that are in trouble. Nahas, Connors, Hate to say this Edwards.

Expect to see the Farmers, Webberleys, Nason's back in soon they have plenty of development potential and give us as much as the previous three listed.

Thursfield is not the answer , see the 5 odd years worth of development, his game isn't going to get better. Dylan Grimes did not look out of depth last night, spoilt buddy in the air aswell as Thursfield ever did. Worth investing games into. Grimes has played 2 games and has a real defensive brain to his game, he will get better with time and physical development.

Tuck I love .. I really do. But I'd prefer to see time invested in our younger kids. Not sure why Nahas plays but tuck doesn't however...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok alot of talk about dropping non tacklers and bringing those who tackle! Guess who had zero tackles last night!!! That's right, your favorite 50%er hero Trent 50% cotchin! And people give this half good player votes every week! Should definitely be dropped! Who cares if he slapped everyone on the back on there way out before the game! That's the only good thing he did all night and still the team was crap!

Accept that this is another transition year, and we are just as likely to be beat by Collingwood even if we include, Thursfield, Miller and Tuck.

Play the kids, in a few years we will reap the rewards, even if we'll feel like shit for a bit.

Dave Astbury has some second year blues at the moment but I would still persist with him, setting small peformance goals each week. He is one for the future.

I'd prefer no changes, but if anyone is to be dropped it's the more senior players who should be working harder and performing better.

Out: Any of Connors, Morton, Deledio
In: any of Webberley, Nason, McDonald

lids, 7 days off BOG and you suggest we drop him, yeah right:rolleyes:

OUT- Edwards. Morton (Both need rockets)
IN- Tuck. Thursty (if it was a rolled ankle that kept him out)

Left field, Miller in defense, he has played that role before. Cloke Dawes will be a handfull like Buddy Roughy.

And I find it mind boggling some here want Astbury dropped.

Fast forward to Friday night forecast-

showers.png
Min 12 Max 21 A few showers.

Above the G

Cloudy. Scattered showers. Light winds tending southeasterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

Ok alot of talk about dropping non tacklers and bringing those who tackle! Guess who had zero tackles last night!!! That's right, your favorite 50%er hero Trent 50% cotchin! And people give this half good player votes every week! Should definitely be dropped! Who cares if he slapped everyone on the back on there way out before the game! That's the only good thing he did all night and still the team was crap!
Cotchin may not have laid a tackle last night and no doubt it an area he needs to improve on, but unlike a couple of others I don't recall him squibbing a contest last night when the ball was there to be won.

OUT- Edwards. Morton (Both need rockets)
IN- Tuck. Thursty (if it was a rolled ankle that kept him out)

Left field, Miller in defense, he has played that role before. Cloke Dawes will be a handfull like Buddy Roughy.

And I find it mind boggling some here want Astbury dropped.

Fast forward to Friday night forecast-

showers.png
Min 12 Max 21 A few showers.

Above the G

Cloudy. Scattered showers. Light winds tending southeasterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.
I like your idea of Miller in defence.
My changes would be based
IN: Miller, Thursfield, Nason
OUT: Edwards, Morton, Connors

i cannot believe the calls for astbury to be dropped. Was not beaten in a one on one contest last night, was at the game and he looked quicker than the last few weeks. so what if he didnt offer anythng offensively his role was to stop one of the twin towers and last night he did that effectively. Also the people that are calling for his head are proposing thursfield as a change, great idea lets drop someone whos not being offensive enough to the least offensive player on our list, keep it coming guys :thumbsu:

I like your idea of Miller in defence.
My changes would be based
IN: Miller, Thursfield, Nason
OUT: Edwards, Morton, Connors

Worst time ever for the Burgers to have a bye. Not sure they would bring him in without one more really good game now that Nahas is playing his best footy

i cannot believe the calls for astbury to be dropped. Was not beaten in a one on one contest last night,

Same. Its ludicrous. Mind boggling. Crazy. Silly. Dumb. What else can i say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back