Prediction Changes v Adelaide, Friday night, GHMBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Fort it.. to me ..sort of sounds like a rubbishy song by Pussyfoot in the 70's .. Its not what you do , its the way that you do it.. (something like that anyway)

He has played 3 games kicked 3 in one and two in another.. and there is an all encompassing thread of sentiment to drop him , banish him , let him not darken our step again. .. What did it take Abbott .. 2 years before he got a game? Fort need to get stronger overhead ..and that may mean a summer of work in the gym, maybe a couple of summers. The defensive efforts he is now up against would be far harder than anything he has had to cope with.. .. but He really has failed to take any good dtrong mark overhead that would encourage his selection again ..at least for a while (imo)..

but considering the form of Buzza and Krueger .. Id say it would be fair enough for one to get a go... Im not sure the can do much more to put up their hand.

But its in the middle we need to shake it up a bit imo.. Constable or Fogarty or both . Someone didnt do their job well enough V Port.. someone should get the ruler on the knuckles treatment.. and someone need to be playing in the VFL.. no rubbish about rests.

I see the limitations with Fort and I dont know if he makes it long term but if Sav played that kind of game he'd get so much praise. I'd give him another week and give Sav managed minutes in the vfl.

Fogarty in as the pressure forward if Rohan or Dahlhaus dont come up. Id go Guthrie out for Constable (especially on the smaller ground) or Scooter but I doubt our MC is that brave. Id go Bews in for Henry or Clark purely bc he has a good record on Betts but I know that won't be popular around here.

I think he should be in the frame if Rohan doesn't come up or we choose to rest him. He looks to have very good speed and agility for his size so he might be a difficult match up if we have Hawk and Sav as well.
Worth a look I reckon
:thumbsu:View attachment 697650

You want speed in and forward pressure to stop Laird Smith and Milera off HB I wouldnt go too tall this week. Fogarty in if Rohan is out IMO although I'd give Kreuger a game later in the year.

I wouldn't touch the forward structure, it works. They were starved of opportunity.

What didn't work on the weekend was the midfield. Stanley and Guthrie were at almost every center bounce / stoppage, and the worst performers of the mids, comfortably. Guthrie's stats before he went behind the footy for cheapies in the 4th were deplorable, completely non competitive in a game where Port made us earn it.

What makes it worse is that Dangerfield was the best player on the ground (IMO). Our midfield still got smashed...

Clearances 52 - 36 (Dangerfield 8)
Contested Possessions 167 - 131 (Dangerfield 14)

Scott's approach to the midfield is arrogant IMO. We've been beaten there often in 2019 - even in when we've won the game. Despite Dangerfield (especially) and Kelly's brilliance, it's a slippery slope after that. Duncan complements well, then it's poor. Especially with Selwood not in there. it's the team's achilles heel and could be better. Improvement is always possible, even at the top of the ladder. What we saw from Port defensively / intent is what they should expect in finals.

In : Constable, Menegola (if avail)
Out : It's obvious

Menegola has been out a while and though he's an endurance athlete probably needs a week in the 2s for fitness. I completely agree with the rest of your post though.

I see the limitations with Fort and I dont know if he makes it long term but if Sav played that kind of game he'd get so much praise. I'd give him another week and give Sav managed minutes in the vfl.

Fogarty in as the pressure forward if Rohan or Dahlhaus dont come up. Id go Guthrie out for Constable (especially on the smaller ground) or Scooter but I doubt our MC is that brave. Id go Bews in for Henry or Clark purely bc he has a good record on Betts but I know that won't be popular around here.

If Sav is fit then he is in for me ..managed minutes in the VFL serves little purpose for him imo.. I suspect he gets banged up or sore ..and no contact/ skill practice and a freshening up is probably just as good if not better. Lets not rush Sav is there is any doubt ..we have other chickens to cook anyway. Its the midfield that needs to improve for us to bounce.

I liked the idea of getting Fort ..but I think he is lacking in a few key areas and the lack of spring and marking overhead is too distinct areas of difference to sav. So if he cant jump and must use his height .. he has to get stronger ..put him on a protien shake diet , put him in the gym ..what ever but what he is doing at them moment is not sustainable. He is a good shot at goal..and tries hard.. just feel we will know next year if he is a dry well ..and by playing him this year we have rained down premature criticism on him ..much like we did with Buzza. Buzza now looks ready for a go.. we have to decide if he is around next year..id like to see him get a game or two ..the next time Sav needs a rest.

Short term.. I hope the club can tweek our forward structure a bit... Krueger playing the Rowan role would do that. Rohans done well , and we will need him fresh and in from later in the year.. but where he really surprised me was his marking and setshot conversion..take that out and the d pressure really has just been supplemental. As you say..someone like Fog might do it.

The other thing that we may struggle to change is the way we have been played that Port used ..and dare I say others will look and try to copy. So trying a different forwardset up would not be a bad thing.

For people wanting S Selwood in the side, he is that slow now that he has a new nickname, The Sloth
any slower and he'll be the same pace as Greg Williams played at

BOG in the magoos on the weekend btw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure he would. Fort has a couple of problems (at the moment) one being very slow above his head ... or only getting one hand up and the other is not being strong enough when in a position to either mark or at least bring the ball down in a offensive fashion for our smalls.

Esava has been hitting packs hard regardless of his form and this has helped our structures immensely. He is also now starting to clunk the pack marks and is getting stronger over the ball.

if Esava had played like Fort then their would be queries on effort.

Anyhoo for this week.

If Dalhaus injured then Fogarty as a like for like.
If Rohan injured then ... there is no like for like but Constable to come in (Menegola out for too long and needs a run in the twos first).
Fort omitted and Esava back in.

Crows are making some changes too...

"ADELAIDE replicated the tight constraints of GMHBA Stadium at training in a bid to snap its 16-year hoodoo at Geelong on Friday night. Playing more centrally, less switching of the ball and avoiding the pockets is what the Crows will focus on as they attempt to end a 10-match losing streak in Geelong."

I'm not sure he would. Fort has a couple of problems (at the moment) one being very slow above his head ... or only getting one hand up and the other is not being strong enough when in a position to either mark or at least bring the ball down in a offensive fashion for our smalls.

Esava has been hitting packs hard regardless of his form and this has helped our structures immensely. He is also now starting to clunk the pack marks and is getting stronger over the ball.

if Esava had played like Fort then their would be queries on effort.

Anyhoo for this week.

If Dalhaus injured then Fogarty as a like for like.
If Rohan injured then ... there is no like for like but Constable to come in (Menegola out for too long and needs a run in the twos first).
Fort omitted and Esava back in.

Fort's a different player to Sav but i still dont mind his attack at the ball. He actually holds his marks which Sav doesnt a lot of the time, we set a very low output bar for Sav but set a much higher one for Fort is my point.

For people wanting S Selwood in the side, he is that slow now that he has a new nickname, The Sloth
While I tend to agree... This week is literally a perfect situation if they were to bring him in.
Narrow KP ground makes it easier for him, the Crouch boys and Sloan are all pretty one paced inside ball finders so he can sit on one of those no worries IMO... He is less likely to be exposed physically this week than any other this year

I'm not sure who he puts out though so not sure there is a spot free for him

Fort's a different player to Sav but i still dont mind his attack at the ball. He actually holds his marks which Sav doesnt a lot of the time, we set a very low output bar for Sav but set a much higher one for Fort is my point.
He's taken 6 marks in 3 games.. Of which off the top of my head 3 were double grabbers against smaller opponents and 1 was an Ablett silver service pass... I'm not sure there are any grounds to compare him marking the footy with Sav

Sorry, cannot agree with this. Fort was awful. Totally noncompetitive in the air and in the ruck. Ablett and Clark gifted him two goals with brilliant play. To his credit, he did do one nice piece of play with a pick up and handball to Ablett and he converted his chances well.

But Esava is a mile ahead of him as a ruck and he provides a genuine contest in the air and on the ground. Sometimes the raw figures do not tell the true story I am afraid.

While I tend to agree... This week is literally a perfect situation if they were to bring him in.
Narrow KP ground makes it easier for him, the Crouch boys and Sloan are all pretty one paced inside ball finders so he can sit on one of those no worries IMO... He is less likely to be exposed physically this week than any other this year

I'm not sure who he puts out though so not sure there is a spot free for him
Out of interest.
Have any of your kids been born 9 months after we played Adelaide?
I doubt it. Lol. o_O

Out of interest.
Have any of your kids been born 9 months after we played Adelaide?
I doubt it. Lol. o_O
They are all late May to July range.. So do the maths..

Probably cheered me up after another finals bombing out though ;)

Sorry, cannot agree with this. Fort was awful. Totally noncompetitive in the air and in the ruck. Ablett and Clark gifted him two goals with brilliant play. To his credit, he did do one nice piece of play with a pick up and handball to Ablett and he converted his chances well.

But Esava is a mile ahead of him as a ruck and he provides a genuine contest in the air and on the ground. Sometimes the raw figures do not tell the true story I am afraid.

Great post, completely agree.

Sav is a better long term prospect and also better in the present.

There is no parallel universe in which Fort should play ahead of him if both are fit.

He's taken 6 marks in 3 games.. Of which off the top of my head 3 were double grabbers against smaller opponents and 1 was an Ablett silver service pass... I'm not sure there are any grounds to compare him marking the footy with Sav

As opposed to Sav, who took 3 marks in his first three games this year. Fort also took 3 contested marks in his first three games while Sav took zero. Sav basically did nothing for his first five games this year yet continued to get a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back