Strategy Changes v Carltank, Sunday April 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno why you guys are worried, you've owned us fo the last several years and are in better form than we are this year.

The last few years have been similar with us being much taller, and it simply resulted in you running rings around us.

I can’t say that I recall clearly the last time we blew a team away. We don’t have the forward line to really blow teams away. I’m 99% certain that with ten mins to go that at very worst Carlton will still be in this game. Don’t see a blow out at all.

McGovern or Curnow a late out?

Dunno why you guys are worried, you've owned us fo the last several years and are in better form than we are this year.

The last few years have been similar with us being much taller, and it simply resulted in you running rings around us.
Our form line isn't too great at the minute.
And the fact that we often drop games that we should win

I'm guessing you attend all AFL, VFL matches, training sessions, team meetings and player coach discussions then...

You can say you don't understand it, you can say you don't get it or agree with it from an outsider looking in, but I don't think you can call it stupid when unless you've done the above, you have about a tenth of the insight as those mking the decisions.
I think it’s totally fair to accuse the management of some stupidity. Trengove was brought in on very decent money, installed in the leadership group and now can’t get a game. I don’t understand how that happens. I haven’t watched any VFL this year so can’t comment on form. Bearing in mind he has previously filled voids as a key forward, key defender and ruck...three positions we have been desperately lacking. It does seem like they have completely lost faith in his ability.

I think it’s totally fair to accuse the management of some stupidity. Trengove was brought in on very decent money, installed in the leadership group and now can’t get a game. I don’t understand how that happens. I haven’t watched any VFL this year so can’t comment on form. Bearing in mind he has previously filled voids as a key forward, key defender and ruck...three positions we have been desperately lacking. It does seem like they have completely lost faith in his ability.
Is that what it is though? Seems like that as long as English is fit and healthy they have made the decision to play him and that the number of hit outs he gets in a match won't actually determine whether he stays in the side (at this stage). Other aspects to the game like his performance in general play is almost certainly a more significant determinant of his place in the side.

So what we're actually looking at is a philosophy. We're not looking at Trengove's form in the VFL because the MC are of the belief that English will be a better player than Trengove could ever hope to be (and might be around the ground already) and that eventually he will also win his fair share of the hit outs but in the meantime we have enough quality mids to mitigate it.

If ever there was any doubt that Bevo looks at a bigger picture in respect of selection then Timmy is proof of it. I think that we can assume that they understand that there is a risk that the development of Richards and English might cost us the odd game and even possibly a spot in the 8 in September. But, it's a risk they're prepared to take because they believe that should we make September we'll be better placed to impact having played these guys through the year.

Philosophically you'll agree with the approach or not. I agree with it. I'd rather plan to be getting games into the players i need to, establishing combinations and peaking physically for September even though you risk not making it by doing just that. I guess it partially depends upon your appetite for risk.

Long story short. Trengove is back up only for English and doesn't play when Timmy is fit and healthy unless Timmy's form drops off around the ground to the extent where he is a significant net negative.

Bev is picking a side to win.
Well if we lose Bev has no idea then and should be give it up. There is NO WAY we should lose today against a team who has won only a handful of games over the past two seasons. Thought Bev saw the light near the end of last season selecting players with skill and speed. The light has now turned to darkness selecting players with pedestrian pace and below average skills.

Well if we lose Bev has no idea then and should be give it up. There is NO WAY we should lose today against a team who has won only a handful of games over the past two seasons. Thought Bev saw the light near the end of last season selecting players with skill and speed. The light has now turned to darkness selecting players with pedestrian pace and below average skills.

Yep. Because that's how footy works...

Yep. Because that's how footy works...
Yeah too bad it doesn’t. My question is whether Bev arrogance is a problem? Are assistant coaches allowed to challenge his decisions or does he surround himself with sheep? It appears Gold Coast and Saints have both climb above us in development which is a huge concern. There game style is far superior, they play more attractive football and with an inferior and younger team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have lost by 16 to Port in Adelaide, by 19 to Sydney and by 2 to GCS at the Gold Coast in the last 3 weeks.
They are not far off it and desperate for a win.
We shouldn't expect a comfortable win by any means, I'd take a narrow, hard fought win gladly.
I can still see it being melt city in here this afternoon though.....

Curnow out. Makes me a tad happier. Usually goes okay against us.
His replacement Casboult is very slow too which should enhance our mobility advantage in the back half. As long as we get the ball to ground, we should be able to generate a lot of run (in theory)

Yeah too bad it doesn’t. My question is whether Bev arrogance is a problem? Are assistant coaches allowed to challenge his decisions or does he surround himself with sheep? It appears Gold Coast and Saints have both climb above us in development which is a huge concern. There game style is far superior, they play more attractive football and with an inferior and younger team.
Way too early to be talking like that about Suns & Saints. I’d much rather be in our position than theirs.

It’s seems with these team selections that we have a plan A and a Plan A only.

That being we win the clearances and the territory battle allowing us numbers behind the ball to assist covering their talls.

I’m probably 80% confident it works but really there is no plan b. Not picking Trengrove as a ruck option makes it even more unusual as he is pretty good at winning clearances of his own in the ruck and he could have pushed back to play on a tall if need be.

Think the Hayes selection is bizarre because I probably have him tenth in the inside mid queue but hopefully he goes well.

Now do you see why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back