Unofficial Preview Changes V GWS Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a left field thought, would it be worth picking Dev over McKenna? We need run with in my opinion to best GWS. Dev gives us that but also versatility. Could potentially use him as a roving defender.

It’s madness but could it be good madness?

Bottom tier at Giants Stadium are all elevated a couple of metres above the field, so you get a much MUCH better view than at ground level in any other ground I've been to.

Depending on demand, top tier tickets might not even be in play yet because they're usually shut to begin with.
What are you expecting the crowd to be mate?

Just a left field thought, would it be worth picking Dev over McKenna? We need run with in my opinion to best GWS. Dev gives us that but also versatility. Could potentially use him as a roving defender.

It’s madness but could it be good madness?
I don't see Dev getting a recall this year
I am glad the club decided to play Answerth over McKenna and Answerth should retain his position.
In my opinion McKenna has been given lots of chances to regain form and has still struggled.
Played half a game for 7 disposals @ 42% disposal efficiency.

That 23rd player could be anyone.
Emg last week: Joyce, Sharp & Fort. Others Reville, McKenna and left field Torrent.

What are you expecting the crowd to be mate?
Probably ~20k-sell out. That's about the usual GWS finals crowd if there's any sort of travelling contingent.

I don't see Dev getting a recall this year
I am glad the club decided to play Answerth over McKenna and Answerth should retain his position.
In my opinion McKenna has been given lots of chances to regain form and has still struggled.
Played half a game for 7 disposals @ 42% disposal efficiency.

That 23rd player could be anyone.
Emg last week: Joyce, Sharp & Fort. Others Reville, McKenna and left field Torrent.
Really left field would be Beecken.

Out: Payne, McKenna
In: Joyce, Reville (Robertson if Reville is not 100%).

If Payne is ‘marginal’ I would leave him out for Joyce and bank on winning and having him back and fully fit for the Preliminary Final. McKenna is terribly out of touch and I would swap him out for Reville without hesitation, if Reville is fit. If not, I would bring Dev Robertson in for McKenna and play him off the half back flank.

Playing Dev off the half back flank this week would have to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard
Even dumber than giving Ryan Lester a run in the Seniors?

Dev is In very good form and couldn’t possibly be worse than McKenna. Dev has the advantage of having a defensive game, with the possibility of some midfield minutes. Note that I said I would select Reville before Robertson.

Last edited:
I recall the West Coast semi there in 2017 was only about 17k. Do you really think it will sell out?
GWS has their standard small regular season, bit bigger finals base of ~10-14k. Maybe I'm optimistic but I feel like Brisbane has enough people heading down to fill out the gaps. The Eagles had next to no one there, whereas the Dogs came up in fair force both times. I don't know if it'll sell out but I would've expected at least 19k+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dev is In very good form and couldn’t possibly be worse than McKenna. Dev has the advantage of having a defensive game, with the possibility of some midfield minutes. Note that I said I would select Reville before Robertson.

Lester has to play because of injuries

If we're replacing McKenna we won't be replacing him with a midfielder to play defence for the first time in a final because 1 that's stupid and 2 we don't need another defender, we played an extra one last week

They completely outplayed us at Manaka oval in round 7. We need to turn that around big time.
We were a bit unlucky to lose at The Gabba recently so hopefully that is a bit of a better guide.
Lions also played them at Manaka oval in 2022 & 2023.
You have to go way back to 2019 and 2020 when we played them at their home ground.
We won both of those but that was a long time ago

Giants home games record in 2024.
Wins: Pies, North, Power, Blues, Suns, Dockers (two top 8 teams)
Loss: Dogs, Swans (both top 8 teams)

If Starcevich can keep Toby green quiet again that will help.
Hogan is a problem for any defenders so keeping him to 2 goals will be a win, even 3 is okay really.
Jones is a hard matchup. He kicked two in both our games this year.
He can also find the footy with 15 & 18 disposals in those games.

Giants goals from the 2 meetings this year.

R 7: (3) Riccardi, Brown, (2) Perryman, Thomas, Jones, (1) Tom Green, Kelly, O'Halloran, Hogan, Cadman

R22: (3) Hogan, Cadman, (2) Jones, (1) Toby Green, Daniels, Callaghan, Gruzewski

Lester has to play because of injuries
😂🥳🎉☝️

Brisbane Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly said Lester is just as valuable off field which is why the club is thrilled to have him re-commit.

“When people always talk about Ryan, they regard him as such a selfless, team-first player and leader who everyone loves to be around,” Daly said.

“But over the last two seasons particularly he has reminded many that he is a talented player who plays such an important role for us down back.

“He is playing some really good footy and deserves this new contract because he has worked incredibly hard for it. - Danny Daly 6/9/24

The problem with Dev is his ball use, his kicking is not up to AFL standard imo. No problems with his defensive effectiveness but the likelihood of multiple turnovers coming off the half back line would be disastrous.

Genuine 50/50 game I reckon and we can go in with nearly all the pressure on them as they are the top 4 team with pressure on to avoid a straight sets exit, and so far nearly everyone is tipping them.

The problem with Dev is his ball use, his kicking is not up to AFL standard imo. No problems with his defensive effectiveness but the likelihood of multiple turnovers coming off the half back line would be disastrous.
He would need to sharpen that up. That is why I prefer a fit Reville over Dev. Reville is quick, tackles hard, is great in close and his disposal by foot is fantastic.

If there was ever any doubt over Dunkley's fitness I would love to have Dev as available in (although I'd probably back Berry onball with another winger in first).

In terms of sub options Im not huge on it being McKenna (not that he played poorly for his game time) as he only really plays half back. I'd rather have a more flexible option to bring in. Reville can play a few more roles - I just worry about him having to play a full match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back