Unofficial Preview Changes V GWS Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's arguably more concerning than our goal kicking is our 4th quarters. Don't think we've won a 4th quarter since round 21. The last time we've won a last quarter against a top 8 team was against Sydney in round 19.
Sorry guys, just saw the new Cooper Hamilton video - GWS gear it is. 🤣

He oust certainly put a lot of ... whatever ... into it.

I loved that the only club supporters they don't want are the pies.

Last edited:

What's arguably more concerning than our goal kicking is our 4th quarters. Don't think we've won a 4th quarter since round 21. The last time we've won a last quarter against a top 8 team was against Sydney in round 19.

That’s not concerning. We’ve only had two opportunities to do so!

- GWS, infamously kicked 1.4 to 6.0

- Blues, with nothing to gain by keeping the foot down and the cue in the rack, lose 4.3 to 6.3, after conceding final 3 goals

Sorry guys, just saw the new Cooper Hamilton video - GWS gear it is. 🤣

go away gtfo GIF

Transport update for Saturday. The union has in their infinite wisdom decided that Saturday is an excellent day for industrial action.

So there are reduced trains on Saturday.

The good news is that they ARE putting on direct trains from Central to Olympic Park. The bad news is that there is only 3 of them (in grey):

Screenshot_20240912_073314_TripView Lite.jpg

Given the general reliability of this particular route, I'll probably be targeting the 5:55 service.

Trust in our medical staff, if Jack Payne is named he is good to go, however I would be a tad concerned if Darragh Joyce is named on the 5 man bench.

We will need a running player as the sub against the hard and fast running Giants, one of Brain, Sharp, Fletcher, McLachlan or Reville please.

Very nervous about this weekend, even though I think we are still the best team left in it when we are switched on, but we are also the most mentally weakest. When pressure is applied from the opposition we falter. We can't stop opposition run ons after we have substantial leads. Our goalkicking goes into disarray at pivotal moments during a match and we don't have the physical mentality to keep pushing ourselves in last quarters when we are fatigued. All these issues have been on display during the last few weeks. Hopefully we can rectify these problems on Saturday and have a well deserved win against the Giants.

Trust in our medical staff, if Jack Payne is named he is good to go, however I would be a tad concerned if Darragh Joyce is named on the 5 man bench.

We will need a running player as the sub against the hard and fast running Giants, one of Brain, Sharp, Fletcher, McLachlan or Reville please.

Would expect Joyce to be named as an emergency if Payne is named in the team. Reville would be good in the sub role but he looked a bit short on fitness in the reserves. Started really well and was everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swanny was asked about Payne today on RSN Radio this morning - before training.

Said that him, Payne, and the medico crew were confident he'd be named tonight. Also said that he doesn't think there will be any changes to the team.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1217772...sbane-lions-to-dance-in-gws-giants-semi-final

CHRIS Fagan has revisited a mid-season mantra that helped resurrect Brisbane's season, imploring his team to play with freedom against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday night.

"I felt like in the Collingwood game and the Giants game we started to become too aware of where we were on the ladder and started playing to protect our spot rather than continuing on that play we had prior to that, with that bit of freedom and 'see what happens' attitude.

"We had a chat about that, the players felt like that too.

"We've cleared our heads of that."

"We came from a long way back to get into finals, so we're just going to continue to play aggressively, take the game on and put our best foot forward and see what happens," he said.

Payne ran with more fluency on Thursday before the main session went behind closed doors, striding out strongly and undergoing some agility testing.

Don't agree with you and most others on that one M Malice
Fagan said if Payne is 90% he will play. So, that tells me he is below 90% and has to get to 90% by sometime Saturday
If Payne plays, he is still a huge risk, and we should prepare for that just in case.
Too late talking about it being a mistake after the game.
I guarantee if it was Oscar having a similar run of games missed, then reinjured upon return, Fort/Smith would be sub.

Having a small as a sub won't help us make a SF if Payne is playing poorly or gets injured.

Playing say Reville as sub just means we take off someone like Fletcher early in the 4th.
So, all you gain is what output Fletcher (or whoever it is) would produce in the 4th compared to Reville.

Using Reville as an example he has had 6,2,1 disposals when on as sub his last three game
Any sub that comes on in the last usually has a similar impact. Very rarely are they noticeable.
Now using Fletcher to compare because he has struggled lately. His last 3 games 4th quarters were 4,5,5.

I don't have an issue with say leaving Joyce on the bench and not even playing him.
We have enough good players that can play 4 quarters of football without using a sub.

We will find out what the clubs thoughts on the Payne situation is when teams named tonight.
Joyce will either be an emergency or in the 23 named

1726107841438.png

Don't agree with you and most others on that one M Malice
Fagan said if Payne is 90% he will play. So, that tells me he is below 90% and has to get to 90% by sometime Saturday
If Payne plays, he is still a huge risk, and we should prepare for that just in case.
Too late talking about it being a mistake after the game.
I guarantee if it was Oscar having a similar run of games missed, then reinjured upon return, Fort/Smith would be sub.

Having a small as a sub won't help us make a SF if Payne is playing poorly or gets injured.

Playing say Reville as sub just means we take off someone like Fletcher early in the 4th.
So, all you gain is what output Fletcher (or whoever it is) would produce in the 4th compared to Reville.

Using Reville as an example he has had 6,2,1 disposals when on as sub his last three game
Any sub that comes on in the last usually has a similar impact. Very rarely are they noticeable.
Now using Fletcher to compare because he has struggled lately. His last 3 games 4th quarters were 4,5,5.

I don't have an issue with say leaving Joyce on the bench and not even playing him.
We have enough good players that can play 4 quarters of football without using a sub.

We will find out what the clubs thoughts on the Payne situation is when teams named tonight.
Joyce will either be an emergency or in the 23 named

View attachment 2108337
If that is the case I would leave Jack Payne out and take the chance that Darragh Joyce will do a decent job, we are spinning a loaded dice if we go in with a runner short against one of the top 1-3 gut running teams in the competition IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back