Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we just go one ruck so Fort out. Who replaces him could go to a midfielder or a forward.
Answerth has had one solid game and one under average game so he could be in trouble being one of those fringe players.
Dev needs a confidence game in the VFL to get some touch back and wait till an opening occurs in the seniors.
I don't see much else happening unless Charlies leg injury niggle needs a week's rest.

LIONS

B: B.Starcevich, J.Payne, R.Lester

HB: D.Wilmot, H.Andrews , D.Zorko

C: J.Fletcher, H.McCluggage, J.Berry

HF: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, L.Morris

FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, C.Ah-Chee, Z.Bailey, (N.Answerth/J.Prior)

5th I/C from B.Reville (Cat B upgrade?), J.Tunstill, D Robertson.
...............................................................................................

Morris unlikely to get selected but i hope they give him a go v North.
Tunstill could just come in for Fort. He or Reville deserves a go over Robertson for now anyhow.

Charlie would benefit from the rest and avoiding travel. Kai's in-form, just need to give him a full game as the small starting on ground and see what he can do.

Same with swapping Fort for Morris. Fort doesn't have the natural instincts of leading forward, Morris would look better in that role. We can play Morris deep and let Daniher/Hipwood lead to the wings. Get some early game touch and leave the I50 space to Morris.

From about 8 minutes in. Lloyd nails it. Says exactly what people like McIvor have been saying here - Fagan’s selection practices are nonsensical sometimes. It cost us against Collingwood.

Andrews fwd, Hippy back, Bailey and Zorko off half back, Starcevich into the midfield, Berry to hb, Gardiner fwd, Fletcher to hb, Wilmot to wing, Tunstill to wing, Lohmann to wing, Hippy to wing, Payne can be a fwd, fringe players with multiple roles, Charlie sub, B cat rookies are our only hope, I'm sure I've missed a few.

Drop Dev, crucify Berry, Hippy should be hung, drawn and quartered for a bad game, impale Bailey, Rayner definitely torture. Sack him, hate him, he's useless, he'll never be a footballer,

How has 3 losses after making a Gf and narrowly losing brought us to this? 3 losses that with a change of luck with injuries, umpiring and an attitude adjustment we could have won. We're not far off, we've got some issues to fix sure, gotta show some faith in the team and players that have been good for years now.

wouldnt mind seeing morris get a gig but suggesting he takes hipwood's spot is a bit silly

morris as our only 'tall' in f50 when daniher is rucking would be a recipe for disaster even against norf's key defenders
Yes, Hippy won't get dropped or be moved to defense.
If (a big if) Morris did get the gig this is why i like adding the 3rd tall.
When Jo rucks you still have Hippy and that 3rd tall on the ground at that time.
This is also why Fagan over the years does prefer a 3rd tall forward.

Asking Rayner to be a 3rd tall with stints in the midfield is asking too much of not only Rayner but the forward line in general.

Hipwood is one of those players in the gun from supporters because he's not actually as good as we want him to be. Dropping marks has been a feature of his game since forever. He's big and gangly and seems to try hard. And has other assets.

We need to try and hit him up on the lead more often . He won't keep dropping chest marks all the time.

It'd be nice to have a strong marking forward in our list but we don't seem to have one. We have lots of smaller players who love flying for big marks and take a rare one if they get lucky. But not a strong contested marker with some size. So we need to play to what our strengths are ,try to open up the forward line and lead into space. It hasn't been a feature this year. Or if we're going to kick it to a contested situation we have enough gun smalls for one of them to get at the front of the contest. Surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be mass changes and some who have got an armchair ride should be chopped

But in typical selection/match committee protocol there'll be bugger all and Joe, Hippy and Charlie will kick 15 between them against a Roos defence which is highly undersized and the worst part of their structure

I love Jo and what he brings to the team and the fans, but one thing needs to be addressed.
Surely Fagan or assistant coaches have mentioned to him about staging/over stating his contact in marking contests.
They need to tell him he will get more free kicks if he stops doing this. He may even take more marks.
He certainly is not conning the umpires by doing what he is doing.
The umpires know he is doing this so when something legit comes around they more likely ignore that free.
Then the fans really blow up, but it is all on Jo in my opinion.

There should be mass changes and some who have got an armchair ride should be chopped

But in typical selection/match committee protocol there'll be bugger all and Joe, Hippy and Charlie will kick 15 between them against a Roos defence which is highly undersized and the worst part of their structure

Sorry but this is just so bloody stupid

We should drop them so they don't kick 15 goals this week?

Because he might be a slightly better key back then he us key forward and at some point we might find someone who's a better forward than he is?

Sounds great. Sign me up
Yeah I prefer your plan where we change absolutely nothing all year except where we're forced to for injury and suspension. Doing the same thing over and over always leads to different results, after all.

Just wondering where Brandon Ryan is? Was hoping to see him play some games early on, this year.

Can't see him on injury list or AFL team or VFL team. Thanks

We've tried to find Ryan but it has been an unsuccessful mission so far.

My reaction had been to sub Hipwood for a week after what was a terrible effort last week

He and Moore were as bad as each other and I don't think either of them had anything to do with how badly the other played.

Maybe if we just accept what he is and play to his strengths. He did take some strong contested marks against Freo but you can't rely on him to bring that every week. Keep using his agility to find space and spear it into him. He's not that good when he has to handball it or push it on so either hit him on the lead or get him to jump as high as he can in contested situations and knock the ball to our crumbers.

He's worked hard on his game and cleaned up his goalkicking last year to give him credit.

For the posters calling for mass changes below is the players that played okay in the VFL the first 2 rounds.
Madden, Prior, Tunstill, Sharp, Joyce, L Morris
Then you have Lyons and Gardiner but they also played in two of our 3 AFL losses.

We know what all these guys bring to the AFL when they get a shot.
Pretty much enough to help out when injuries occur.
So, no real improvement to the side, going on past history anyhow.

The unknown is Morris.

Reville & Brain also played well in the 2 VFL games but are still stuck as Cat B rookies.
Why i have no idea when at least one could be upgraded for either C. Michael, Coleman, Doedee & even Ashcroft.
Heaven forbid we get more LTI before the Club make a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back