Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

I may be the only one but I liked Garcia's game, was one of the few who actually tackled. I think he needs exposure at the level and will only improve from it.
Daniel was also good in his 36 minutes of game time and I'd happily have him wear the vest again given he got a bit longer today.
He missed multiple tackles and was always on the back foot in his CBAs was pretty ordinary

Fortunately we have some form players in VFL

VDM remains goalless since May playing 100% as a forward, how many chances does he get

Out Vandermeer, Buku, Garcia and potentially Naughton if he’s injured

In Gallagher, Macrae Sanders, JOD or Keath. It means we go in slightly smaller with more run

Means Daniel plays and make Coffield sub

In: JOD, Freijah
Out: Buku, Coffield

Doubt we’d make too many changes after the last month. Harmes in for VDM after he has another run at VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: JOD, Freijah
Out: Buku, Coffield

Doubt we’d make too many changes after the last month. Harmes in for VDM after he has another run at VFL.

I’d replace VDM with a border collie, he’d run all day to the right spots.

Think there is a couple of interesting choices for the rest of the season.

I was very happy we got Coffield. Think he can really fill a role for us for the next 5 or so years body permitting. Has that size that can play on the mid sized forwards and can probably play taller if needed, plus he can be a good interceptor when able to roam free like he did in 2020. He’s been solid but he looks like a guy who has spent 2 and a half seasons out injured. Don’t think he has been offering as much as Freijah has been this season and I would rather find a spot for him. Think Freijah has the extra versatility to swap onto the wing for Williams to slide back if need be.

Been impressed with Buku’s recent form but he just seems to have too many deficiencies for me to ever trust him, especially in a big game. Very good when he is intercept marking and I think he is a safe and solid ball user but he is a worry in an isolated one on one and is quite poor when the ball is at ground level. Not sure if there is a guy I trust more there though. O’Donnell has more potential but I think he has played worse at AFL level this year. Seems risky playing Coffield or Williams tall instead of him. Could probably get away with it against some teams, they also wouldn’t have had a fighting chance against Fogarty today. Keath is too slow and he is not a guy I trust with the ball these days. Is it crazy to bring Busslinger in? Bevo brought Lewis Young in from out of nowhere in 2019. Don’t know. I’m confident in Lobb and Jones as our key posts, was worrying seeing Buku isolated and struggling on Fogarty today. He might be our best option though.

Don’t really understand the persistence with VDM and everyone is shitting on him at the moment so I probably don’t need to do it as well. I know he is good at sprinting wide and opening up space but there has to be more to your game. Every time he gets it it’s like the first time he’s had a disposal. Hasn’t kicked a goal for 9(?) weeks and I don’t think he brings the defensive pressure on a week to week basis. I just don’t believe on a 40 players list we don’t have another guy who can run hard to create space but also bring any other positive attribute to the table.

Sanders and Macrae have both been putting up outrageous numbers in the VFL and have to be knocking down the door. Think both are fighting for Garcia’s spot as the half forward who is our 5th inside midfield rotation. Think Garcia was better earlier in the season before he got dropped than he has been since he came back but I sort of think he is the best to fill that role. I think it’s a toss of the coin which way they’ll go for that. Macrae’s experience would be invaluable for the last few games and going into finals where he is a proven performer.

Harmes is the other one I think we should find a spot for. I’ve done a 180 with him. Wasn’t overly enthused when we signed him, thought during his Melbourne career that he showed he was solid as an inside midfielder or tagger but was not AFL level at any other position and I was not surprised he fell behind the pecking order there. Was happy for him to be depth in case of injuries but didn’t think he’d be suited for the roles we clearly grabbed him for. But I thought he was fantastic as a half forward / wing earlier in the season before his injuries and happy that he is back in time. He’s an experienced player and think if he is right to run out a game that he should be trusted and selected.

Lastly, thought Daniel was great once he came on today. Perhaps unfairly I don’t really think there is a spot for him in the 22. Think he’d still be fine as a designated kicker off half back but while Dale is there, I don’t think that is a position he can play. Happy for him to keep playing as the sub but think thats a risky game because after a period of getting very little game time, generally the form just drops away.

Think my team would look something like

B: Bramble, Jones, (Khamis/Coffield/Buss)
HB: Dale, Lobb, Duryea

R: English, Liberatore, Bontempelli
C: Williams, Treloar, Poulter

HF: McNeil, Naughton, Weightman
F: Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, West

I: Freijah, Richards, Harmes, (Macrae/Garcia)

I watched the VFL game today amd am surprised that people keep putting Baker's name up.

He is handy depth and works hard but skills and decision making led to numerous turnovers as occurred when last in the AFL.

Surely Gallagher with well over 20 possessions and 3 goals, Sanders over the last 2 weeks and Macrae would all be in front of him or even Harmes with the game under his belt

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buku's recent form had been reasonable up until today where he had a complete nightmare of a game.
Keath or O'Donnell to come in to replace him.

A number of players were uncharacteristically down on form, but most should survive.
VDM had a shocker, with his lack of physical presence and goal sense exposed today. He could hang on as a sub, due to previous form, but I think he really needs to develop some confidence around goal to justify his place at this stage of the season. His pace and forward pressure running alone isn't enough, unless they push him further up the ground. If Cody and West are covered like they were today, VDM clearly isn't currently capable of stepping up to cover the small forward goal contribution we require.
Macrae the obvious replacement here.

The only other person whose spot should be under omission pressure is Coffield, who could be replaced by Freijah or JOD.

If they need to rest Naughton, then perhaps Sanders gets back in too.

Last edited:
So Naughton sub came across as just tactical, but pretty sure he was limping at one stage and getting looked at on the bench? Was there any more said on this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back