Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming everyone is fit, just Freijah for Buku and Macrae for Daniel for me. Majority didn’t show up yesterday but think we are still very close to our best line up

Buss for Buku
Sanders* for Garcia
Macrae* for vdm
Harmes as emergency

* Can't have one without the other. Macrae is schooling him really nicely in the 2s. They work extremely well together.
The issue is that they are both midfielders. You watch Sanders play and its clear as anything that he's a centre bounce midfielder first and foremost. I fear that it will be difficult to play him regularly until Libba is nearly finished. Sticking him on a flank for 2/3 of a game just won't cut it.

We've made the mistake before of playing extra midfielders in position where they don't excel before. Despite both playing better than him, I'd have Harmes ahead of both in that half forward role. He offers a bit of pace, hardness and ability to finish around goals.

The mix we've been playing with recently has been excellent. There's no reason to go away from the structure because of one poor game. Garcia stays in for me. If VDM is dropped, it has to be for someone that can offer similar traits and ability to play the role. Harmes or Gallagher could do that IMO.

I am not sure it is quite like for like as we were exposed on the bigger ground on a number of levels.

The ins could be JOD, Freijuh, Buss, Sanders and Macrae. Harmes needs at least one more VFL game for fitness

The outs could be Cofield, Buku, Garcia, VDM and whoever is injured.

And the leadership group, players and coaches, should be ensuing the intensity is there from the first bounce like it is an elimination final

Our goalkicking accuracy is a joke. What are we doing about it? If I was Brad Johnson I would be concentrating on set shots from inside 40 metres with a number of our regular goal scorers. The biggest issue I can see is the ball drop. Take Jamarra for example. He is a very good accurate field kick where it is more a of a reflex motion. However, he has an inconsistent ball drop with the slower more mechanical set shot and misses regular left and right chasing a poor drop.

Look at other sports where the release of the ball and hands are critical. For example, the ball toss is critical for a good accurate tennis serve and in golf the interlocking grip helps to move the hands together.

So, what I would do is to get a rubber band to wrap around the wrists allowing the hands to open to hold and release the footy but at the same time keeping the hands a lot more rigid and moving together. I firmly believe this will lead to a more consistent ball drop for Jamarra and others like Sam, Astro, Bont and others and significantly improve accuracy.

The band could also be legally used in a game by wrapping it around the wrist a few times. Then positioning it on both wrists when setting up for the shot. Plenty of time within the allowable for 30 seconds to do this.

Stupidity is to keep practicing the same thing with the same technique and expect a better result. You need to try something different to see if it works.

I honestly fear what Xerri will do to English this week. He's going to be bullied into submission. The numbers he's been putting up are crazy and is the exact type of physical ruckman that Tim simply can't handle.

25 disposals?
15 contested possessions?
50 hitouts?
15 clearances?
10 tackles?
3 contested marks?

I honestly fear what Xerri will do to English this week. He's going to be bullied into submission. The numbers he's been putting up are crazy and is the exact type of physical ruckman that Tim simply can't handle.

25 disposals?
15 contested possessions?
50 hitouts?
15 clearances?
10 tackles?
3 contested marks?
English may be injured, what happens then?! Who takes the majority of the time in there out of Darcy or Lobb?

Our goalkicking accuracy is a joke. What are we doing about it? If I was Brad Johnson I would be concentrating on set shots from inside 40 metres with a number of our regular goal scorers. The biggest issue I can see is the ball drop. Take Jamarra for example. He is a very good accurate field kick where it is more a of a reflex motion. However, he has an inconsistent ball drop with the slower more mechanical set shot and misses regular left and right chasing a poor drop.

Look at other sports where the release of the ball and hands are critical. For example, the ball toss is critical for a good accurate tennis serve and in golf the interlocking grip helps to move the hands together.

So, what I would do is to get a rubber band to wrap around the wrists allowing the hands to open to hold and release the footy but at the same time keeping the hands a lot more rigid and moving together. I firmly believe this will lead to a more consistent ball drop for Jamarra and others like Sam, Astro, Bont and others and significantly improve accuracy.

The band could also be legally used in a game by wrapping it around the wrist a few times. Then positioning it on both wrists when setting up for the shot. Plenty of time within the allowable for 30 seconds to do this.

Stupidity is to keep practicing the same thing with the same technique and expect a better result. You need to try something different to see if it works.
If I were Brad Johnson I'd be focusing on my media career.

1st v 18th this week, North are 1st for shot at goal accuracy, we're 18th.
I would love to have a breakdown of what each club invests into goal kicking accuracy. Do teams with a greater goalkicking % like North, Adelaide and GWS invest more heavily in that area from a coaching and practice point of view? Surely it can't be explained by just luck.

For the first time in decades we have several of the best young KPF in the history of the club, and we seem to take for granted the importance of goalkicking. Or at least that's the impression I get from how bad we are.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English may be injured, what happens then?! Who takes the majority of the time in there out of Darcy or Lobb?
I'd back Darcy in there to be honest. He's a physically bugger around the contest and may neutralize Xerri. The only thing is that we'd probably have to keep him at 60-65% game time.

I knew what the solution was months ago. Here it is:
I think what needs to be done is to train up Caesar our bulldog mascot as a seeing eye dog. Get Caesar to sit on the goal line and then bark so Marra knows where to kick for goal.

Nobody can tell me that Harmes couldn't do the running VDM does. Sure VDM might be a bit faster but not sure it matters that much. What he lacks in speed, Harmes would make up in lots of other ways.

Well Harmes has been injured so not sure what point you’re trying to make here?

For those of you looking for a sweet dose of trepidation for this week…

View attachment 2076988

I’m sure everyone remembers last year’s member thank you round? It was also Round 23 at Marvel.

Fingers crossed they‘ve been working on their manners…
They are probably closing off Level 3 due to a projected lack of crowd so are trying to get money out of people to move down to Level 1 before Level 1 is open for free access to all on game day.

They are probably closing off Level 3 due to a projected lack of crowd so are trying to get money out of people to move down to Level 1 before Level 1 is open for free access to all on game day.
Not a chance they'll close Level 3. It's not a Bulldogs vs GWS dead rubber, it's two Victorian sides.

Obviously it won't be a bumper crowd but it's still going to push 30k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back