Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be proven wrong but it always feels like when we hit good form Bevo starts with these weird personnel changes.
Poulter and Garcia were far from the worst players last week. Especially Poulter.
Now we're going to be plugging the wing position with another inside midfielder in Gallagher like we did earlier in the year.
Ummm....didn't we just hit bad form?

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Omg gags had 27 and three goals you have to reward that nobody will be happy with the team when it’s named everybody was wanting Jack in and now Jack is in people still find something to complain about yes poutler has been playing good but he I think he had 9 turnovers last week

That apostrophe looks very lonely. 🙂

Interesting to note that Xerri is listed as 201cm and Lachlan Smith is listed at 202cm .
I’d be amazed if that’s true about Lachie Smith. It’s also been posted a few times that Lachie’s wingspan and vertical leap are quite a bit lower than comparative sized rucks. He definitely needs to be a crash and bash type ruckman (Ben Hudson, Nankervis, etc.).

Freijah Inclusion made me smile. There is something so Old Football about him. Dale Morris Enforcer type player who just knows the right pace needed at any time.

I don't remember what game. But I remember a time where he called to slow the game down and held the ball back until we actually got set up. That day, he won me over. Cause that was such a bad side effect of our express, attack at all cost play style.

Last edited:
That Lachy Smith height is an outright lie. He’s closer to 197cm

The club have added an extra cm since I last looked, now he's 203cm!!!

Gags selected again? WTF is going on at our Selection Panel, he may become a solid player next year but he is a mile off it at the moment.
Poulter and Garcia very unlucky, how VDM is still in the team after not kicking a goal as a forward for months and continued tinkering of the role players is just plain bewildering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all training pictures in huddles, etc. he looks much closer to Naughton (listed at 196cm) and is clearly shorter than Croft (listed at 201cm).
Look at our squad photo this year, he’s maaaaybe slightly taller than Keath who’s listed at 198. So Smith has got to be 199 tops.

He’s also all neck, he’s actually shorter than Keath up to the shoulders. He’ll need to become extremely strong and physical and have excellent craft to make up for it because he’ll be giving up minimum 5cm on most AFL rucks before even thinking about leap or reach

Look at our squad photo this year, he’s maaaaybe slightly taller than Keath who’s listed at 198. So Smith has got to be 199 tops.

He’s also all neck, he’s actually shorter than Keath up to the shoulders. He’ll need to become extremely strong and physical and have excellent craft to make up for it because he’ll be giving up minimum 5cm on most AFL rucks before even thinking about leap or reach

I’ve referenced before but the below was posted in the Joel Freijah player thread back in November 2023. Perhaps they’re all overstated a little but the relative difference in vertical compared to the other rucks drafted last year is enormous.

Smith - Best performed ruck at Coates level for sure and as silly as it sounds, he's going to be an undersized ruck at AFL level. The reason guys like Green, Goad and Edwards went ahead of him is because they're taller and better at the tap ruck aspect. Smith will be a hustle and bustle, aggressive ruck, whereas the blokes who went ahead of him have much better ruck craft and will be good tap ruckmen. The numbers for comparison:
  • Smith - 202cm, 72cm vertical
  • Green - 204cm, 87cm vertical + easily longest arms in draft at 95.6cm (next best was 93.7cm)
  • Goad - 206cm, 85cm vertical
  • Edwards - 206cm, 94cm vertical

I guess the club's thinking is that if they use a bodgy tape measure, and make everyone bigger than they are, then they'll play bigger. Good psychology.

Men have been overestimating their size since tape measures were invented.

Apparently.

Gags selected again? WTF is going on at our Selection Panel, he may become a solid player next year but he is a mile off it at the moment.
Poulter and Garcia very unlucky, how VDM is still in the team after not kicking a goal as a forward for months and continued tinkering of the role players is just plain bewildering.
He had 25 and kicked 3 deserved inclusion should’ve been for Vandermeer instead of Poulter however,

Garcia was not good and Macrae is much better in the side then him

Gallagher had 25 touches and three goals in the vfl including goal of the match where he looked like an a-grader bursting out of the middle. In racing terms he was "running on top of the ground."

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back