Changes v Pies (Rd 12) - Dawes in for Toumpas

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's think about it. Assuming Dawes comes in for a small, the guys I classify as 'talls' are:

Ruck: Jamar
Forward: Dawes, Frawley, Gawn
Back: McDonald, Garland, Pedersen (do we count Dunn here?)

Right now for Sydney:

Ruck: Derickx
Forward: Tippett, Franklin, Goodes
Back: Reid, Richards

In short, it may be one too tall. Maybe.

Not sure Buddy counts as a tall. Doesn't play like one, he's just a big unit. Likewise Reid and Goodes are both mobile and won't lose a team anything with run.

We have Jamar, Gawn, Dawes, Pedersen who are all genuine talls, while Frawley and Garland have some zip they'll probably be busy locking down on Cloke, White, Witts, Fasolo, etc, whoever the medium to tall forward options are. I reckon we've one maybe two too many talls, but on the flipside, we don't have any great mids or smalls to bring in for them so there's not a great deal to discuss I guess.

It's really, really hard to see who to drop for Dawes. Matt Jones had an absolutely stinking second half but has the runs on the board, Toumpas deserves another run because it looks like he's starting to build the match fitness and game sense he needs to actually apply his ability at AFL level, and Gawn is a really good foil for Jamar in the ruck. Everyone else had a pretty good game. It'll either be Gawn or Toumpas unless there's an injury, but it's a shame either way.

It's really, really hard to see who to drop for Dawes. Matt Jones had an absolutely stinking second half but has the runs on the board, Toumpas deserves another run because it looks like he's starting to build the match fitness and game sense he needs to actually apply his ability at AFL level, and Gawn is a really good foil for Jamar in the ruck. Everyone else had a pretty good game. It'll either be Gawn or Toumpas unless there's an injury, but it's a shame either way.
Gawny. Pedo rucks well.

Gawny. Pedo rucks well.
True. Looked a bit short of the fitness level required today too, and the Pies ruck department isn't the strongest. I'd let Gawn get his mojo back and bring him in for Ryder and Bellchambers the week after.

Watch the last quarter again, never goes when required, hates body contact, hates tackling. Lots and lots of work to do.
He laid 15 tackles in his last full VFL game. Bit harsh to say he hates it, even if that is VFL level.

Watch the last quarter again, never goes when required, hates body contact, hates tackling. Lots and lots of work to do.
He put himself in the middle of a number of contests, I strongly debate he hates body contact.

He does need to work on his chasing, caught him a few times not going after the man when he was in the vicinity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's definitely on the soft side, but I'm not worried about him long term.

He didn't come through the under 18 system - so I reckon he will develop well, although I'm sure he'll always be an outside runner.

Jetta clearly stays. Dawes comes in for Gawn. Toumpas may go, but apart from that, teams in good order

Think I would rather see Riley than Toumpas at the moment

But I would really prefer Blease and/Or Tappy to set the world on fire in the VFL and come in

Any love for Michie? Has had two games back in the VFL since breaking his jaw and has played really well. Thinking he may need another big week or two before forcing his way in though.

Also a big fan of Kent, so hoping he plays seniors again soon.

Not dropping Jetta. He has copped that way too often in his career to date.
He's looked superb since coming back too. His current form perfectly represents the kind of development strategy we need to be employing. He struggled in his first game back at AFL level after doing well in the VFL but then built up to stronger form. That's what can happen when you actually allow players a chance to acclimatise to senior level as opposed to dropping them after one game.

Unfortunately it will be Gawn. Until he is the No.1 ruck he will always be the one dropped. At the moment he gets his opportunities through injury/suspension.

What depth we finally have

We could all argue cases for Tapscott, Riley, Michie, Kent etc

I would like Kent in the side first actually I forgot about him

Multiple players come before Kent, he hasn't played for a few weeks while others are building up solid form and he's not a walk up start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back