Chokito

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2014
Perth WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats
With CD coming out saying that Bergman, Mead and Duursma aren’t ready for AFL, I don’t see too many depth challenges. Especially since there is a SANFL bye this week too. Fantasia injured, MG in the Magpies and McKenzie unlikely to be match fit, I’d say we go in unchanged (barring something extra ordinary) against a reinvigorated Tigers outfit who will surely have Lynch return.

What I’d like:
IN - McKenzie
OUT - Jones, Motlop
SUB - Motlop or Mayes

What we’ll get:
UNCHANGED

If you are prepared to write off this season, then the likes of Dumont, Motlop (even Gray 🥹) should be out and more games should be going into the likes of Jones, Bergmann and Mead.

Not sure how you get them and MG and Duursma all into the team. It is kind of strange not ripping into to Marshall and Bonner.

The likes of DBJ, Amon, Aliir and Jonas all need to lift.

So, I’m predicting no changes…. But it’s still 2 weeks away.

We aren't winning the flag this year. Hell we all know we aren't making finals, it's only Hinkley desperately trying to keep it 'mathematical' long enough to not be sacked this year.

My wants are based on getting games into players the next coach could use in a flag tilt, not a strict best 22 for now.
What I want (and have more chance of winning the lottery then getting):

Outs: Motlop, Jonas, DBJ, Dixon
Ins: Jones (into 18), Bergmann, Duursma, MG, Fredrick the sub

Dumont stays in whether the season is cooked or not. he's not a 29 year old mckenzie or 31 year old jonas taking the spot of an in form Pasini pre injury
:( ....... or 31 year old motlop doing whatever he does to stay in the side.

he's nearly 27, (karl amon's age) putting in a better shift than any of the guys mentioned in the two's atm. he could well be part of another tilt if we get things right in the coaching box next year.

We aren't winning the flag this year. Hell we all know we aren't making finals, it's only Hinkley desperately trying to keep it 'mathematical' long enough to not be sacked this year.

My wants are based on getting games into players the next coach could use in a flag tilt, not a strict best 22 for now.
What I want (and have more chance of winning the lottery then getting):

Outs: Motlop, Jonas, DBJ, Dixon
Ins: Jones (into 18), Bergmann, Duursma, MG, Fredrick the sub
Well, according to our illustrious General Manager of Football, it won't be Mead, Bergmann and Duursma as they're not up to AFL standard. Any other young ones we can scapegoat? Georgiades is next.

It's in indictment on Duursma and Bergman especially that Kane Farrell can come straight into the side after an ACL and Trent Dumont can come in after being delisted by North Melbourne. It's a good news story for those two players, but first round draft picks should be forcing the coach to make room for them.

I seem to remember back in 2014-2016, we were having discussions about who out of Young, Moore and Ah Chee was pushing for selection because they were averaging 25+ disposals, 5+ inside 50s and 5+ clearances per game every week.

Now we've got Mead who puts up 23 disposals, 9 tackles, 2 clearances and 1 inside 50...

Duursma with 19 disposals, 2 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s...

and Bergman with 17 disposals, 2 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s.

Meanwhile Harrison Wigg, an SANFL standard player, posts 35 disposals, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, 12 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s in the same game.

Chris Davies is spot on. These guys are our future, but that doesn't mean they should be gifted games when they aren't putting in the effort. If a skinny Jase Burgoyne can rack up 34 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 clearances, 4 inside 50s and 12 rebound 50s, those other three should be posting better numbers than what they are.

We're playing Richmond on the MCG. We need players who can kick, and players who can run off half back.

CD’s presser was ruthless. Bit unfair and public. Maybe there are issues behind the scenes that we are unaware of but Duursma, Mead and Bergmann don’t come across as the kind of guys that need a public whack. The SANFL team hasn’t come across as having the highest standards or being competitive but not sure that’s on the aforementioned players. And that’s really an afl and sanfl club wide issue. We haven’t looked fit, well drilled or competitive at all this season. We’ve had multiple injuries and they’ve all dragged on. And selection and list management has been a struggle this year.

So in short, I don’t think the below plan will happen due to what Chris said. But for the tigers we need to beat them on the inside in order to beat them because their game plan destroys ours if they win clearances.

Our list is deficient in multiple areas but we have a dearth of HBF/wing/HFF types.

So leave the bones of the backline and forward lines as is.

And then remove the under performers and bring in anyone we can rotate in the middle.

Out: Motlop

In: Jones, Mead, Duursma, Bergmann and Frederick. Whoever plays at SANFL and trains the best comes in. Their role is defensive forward and centre mid rotation. Mead probably fits the best but Bergmann the most talent, Xavs the fittest and Jones the most versatile.

On notice: DBJ, Farrell and Drew. Bonner gets some time to come back.

I would consider rotating Boak and Gray for games off during the season and would be letting Amon, Houston and Dumont know that they are in until two bad games, then they’ll play SANFL.

We need to be tough and fair at selection and have integrity. Pick the side that will win and get us to finals (ie no gifting games, everyone earns their spot) but which a view to the future also (ie lift post Boak and gray).

It's in indictment on Duursma and Bergman especially that Kane Farrell can come straight into the side after an ACL and Trent Dumont can come in after being delisted by North Melbourne. It's a good news story for those two players, but first round draft picks should be forcing the coach to make room for them.

I seem to remember back in 2014-2016, we were having discussions about who out of Young, Moore and Ah Chee was pushing for selection because they were averaging 25+ disposals, 5+ inside 50s and 5+ clearances per game every week.

Now we've got Mead who puts up 23 disposals, 9 tackles, 2 clearances and 1 inside 50...

Duursma with 19 disposals, 2 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s...

and Bergman with 17 disposals, 2 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s.

Meanwhile Harrison Wigg, an SANFL standard player, posts 35 disposals, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, 12 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s in the same game.

Chris Davies is spot on. These guys are our future, but that doesn't mean they should be gifted games when they aren't putting in the effort. If a skinny Jase Burgoyne can rack up 34 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 clearances, 4 inside 50s and 12 rebound 50s, those other three should be posting better numbers than what they are.

We're playing Richmond on the MCG. We need players who can kick, and players who can run off half back.
Solid post. I’m not sure the whack from CD needed to be public but who knows what’s been happening behind closed doors. Equally those three don’t strike me as the players that need a public whack but who knows.

And integrity at selection is key.

Only thing I disagree with is the method for beating Richmond. We need to win it at the centre so more players that will do that.

A few factors obviously Bergman was knocked around with covid & influenza while Duurs is learning to run again (lol) after they bulked him for inside work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be the only one that thinks DBJ has been alright this year and has improved on what we saw last year. Defensively he's better, he's being smarter with the ball and he's getting in better positions. I feel he's been alright.

Motlop as well hasn't been as bad as what some have made out. Has he been excellent? No, but he's been alright and we don't exactly have anyone consistently knocking on the door to knock him out the team.

Duursma, well he needs to lift. This whole the club has screwed him because he's put on a normal amount of weight storyline is rubbish. Fact is his last 2 1.2 seasons have been on a steady decline. Requesting he has an AFL standard body to go with his frame is not screwing him over.

Davies is right though, its up to those players in teh SANFL to play out of their skin to get into the team. As Janus said, in 2014 we had Stewart, O'Shea, Moore, Young, AhChee, Newton, S Gray, Logan all putting up obscene numbers in the SANFL and we couldn't fit them all in. Its up to Mead, Bergman etc to get to that level.

I must be the only one that thinks DBJ has been alright this year and has improved on what we saw last year. Defensively he's better, he's being smarter with the ball and he's getting in better positions. I feel he's been alright.

Motlop as well hasn't been as bad as what some have made out. Has he been excellent? No, but he's been alright and we don't exactly have anyone consistently knocking on the door to knock him out the team.

Duursma, well he needs to lift. This whole the club has screwed him because he's put on a normal amount of weight storyline is rubbish. Fact is his last 2 1.2 seasons have been on a steady decline. Requesting he has an AFL standard body to go with his frame is not screwing him over.

Davies is right though, its up to those players in teh SANFL to play out of their skin to get into the team. As Janus said, in 2014 we had Stewart, O'Shea, Moore, Young, AhChee, Newton, S Gray, Logan all putting up obscene numbers in the SANFL and we couldn't fit them all in. Its up to Mead, Bergman etc to get to that level.
Yes. Let's denigrate our young players publicly. Meanwhile at 0-5 there was no sign of the GM of Football.

Dumont will fit quite nicely into next year's leadership group with the inevitable shake up at the end of the season. He's not getting dropped. Hayes needs help in the ruck don't see coming from anyone outside of the current line up. We'll be unchanged.

Yes. Let's denigrate our young players publicly. Meanwhile at 0-5 there was no sign of the GM of Football.

Duursma is a 4th year player. He should be better. Significantly better.

Mead and Bergman are 3rd year players. They too should be better.

He didn't clip a bunch of 18 year olds. He clipped guys that should be part of our 22 but aren't because they are under performing. Nothing wrong with that.

You've been watching a different guy to me. He's been horrendous. Especially defensively, and constantly out of position.

No acknowledgement that Duursma was tagged all day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back